PDA

View Full Version : Unscrew the gas cap and WOOSH!

MrBen
08-05-2003, 01:38 PM
When I open the gas cap, all the sudden a whole crapload of air will just blow out. Is this normal? On my mom's old 88 lx it never does it! It didn't do it on my friend's old 86 dx either.

cdscowboy
08-05-2003, 02:09 PM
Just depends on the day, I think. Most cars do it. Mine usually does, not that I'm back there to actually pump my own gas, but I hear it. No worries man, it's normal :)

MrBen
08-05-2003, 02:13 PM
Yeah mine does it all the time.

87accordlxph
08-05-2003, 02:21 PM
You know you should remove it slowly because gas could bring up in the filler neck of the tank and get ya in the face!
No kiddin either.

Having pressure in the tank is normal.
All depends on the fuel level in the tank and inside temperature in the tank because gasoline evapourates at 60 deg. C I believe.
Therefore becoming a gasous state therefore creating pressure.
Remeber the gas law. PV=nRT? :)

-Mike from Sarnia!

MrBen
08-05-2003, 02:38 PM
I vaguely remember that from Chemistry... I hated that class.

Hmm, so it's normal. Thank goodness... one less thing to worry about. Oh, and I am happy to annouce that for the first time since I have had my car, there is NOTHING MECHANICALLY WRONG WITH IT. Then again the engine is on it's way out.. but still.

jlaccord89lxi
08-05-2003, 06:31 PM
its just because of the weather and the temp. outside.

AccordEpicenter
08-06-2003, 02:11 PM
most of the time is a vacuum, guys, what do you think the charcoal canister does?

87accordlxph
08-06-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by AccordEpicenter
most of the time is a vacuum, guys, what do you think the charcoal canister does?

Tip: When you fill er up full and when the pump stops pumping gas in yer tank you stop!

All that excess gas just plugs up this evap. canister and there's a possibility why one will fail the e-test!

Just my $.02. :D

-Mike from Sarnia!

danronian
08-07-2003, 07:32 AM
Are the charcoal cannisters on the 3gs supposed to be replaced or anything like that. B/c on my 75 chevelle the manual says replace the filter in it every 3 years, but I just took it off. I ask b/c I failed the emissions last time and I dont want to do that again since each test is $70.

87accordlxph
08-07-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by danronian
Are the charcoal cannisters on the 3gs supposed to be replaced or anything like that. B/c on my 75 chevelle the manual says replace the filter in it every 3 years, but I just took it off. I ask b/c I failed the emissions last time and I dont want to do that again since each test is $70.

Not really, (the manual doesn't list the charcole canister to be replaced) unless you get an e-test and fail because the evap canister failed.

-Mike from Sarnia!