PDA

View Full Version : colant temp sending unit

johnwc723
08-05-2003, 08:09 PM
hey i think i need a new temp sending unit (im getting a 6 blink error "CHECK ENGINE" and i think that my unit is messed up as it is
does this link
http://partsbin.thepartsbin.com/parts/part.jsp?search=temperature&year=1989&make=HO&model=ACC--006&category=All&showChildren=true&usemake=&returnurl=catalog.thepartsbin.com

look like one of those coolant temperature sending units that would be mounted on the thermostat housing on a fuel injected accord, (and also be the device that drives the engine temp gauge on the console)?
thanks a lot!

mugenprelude86
08-06-2003, 01:07 AM
i have the same problem, my ecu is blinking a code 6 and my PGM-fi light is on, i hghly doubt they are related but i find it funny that they both started doing it once i had the new tranny installed

AccordEpicenter
08-06-2003, 02:13 PM
the temp sensor runs on a thermistor, and if its bad it wont give you a code. One is a thermoswitch, and another is a thermistor for the engine computer.

A20A1
08-06-2003, 06:10 PM
The guage temp unit uses only one wire and is located on the thermostat housing.

johnwc723
08-06-2003, 08:13 PM
so what do you guys suggest i do then? hmm

smufguy
08-07-2003, 04:38 AM
THe Temp sending unit is a black sensor with just one single black wire going from it. For a carb, its under the manifold, for efi its on the thermostat. But do know that both the carb and the efi sending units are the same with the same part number. Anywho depending on what kinda thermostat you have, you might have the temp sending unit on ur thermostat even if ur carb.

REmoving sensor: Get a 12mm deep socket and it should come off.

Check for cut wires on the sending unit. Check to see if the wire is in good shape.

Next check to see if the contact on the sensor is in good shape as in its plugged all the way in.

Remove the sensor and look at tip of the sensor, if it has a lotta rusty deposits and u have not changed ur coolent in a while, Drain ur coolent, flush it and fill it with a new one. Get a new sensor, bolt it back in and ur good to go.