PDA

View Full Version : now there's power, now there isn't

racerx
08-05-2003, 10:32 PM
I drive down the interstate and everything's cool then wrrrrr, VROOM... The wrrrr is my engine suddenly and mysteriously losing about 75 horsepower, and the VROOM is it all coming back as if nothing happened. What the hell is up with that?
I just installed an Accel 8140 coil. I still have the bosch +4 plugs in. Could the coil be bad or is it frying the plugs? Also, driving down the interstate takes alot more gas since I installed the SR. What's up with that? Not enough air or what? Bad mixture?

AccordEpicenter
08-06-2003, 02:12 PM
i bet the intake is lowering your torque and that kills youre gas milage... check your fuel filters etc

racerx
08-07-2003, 06:12 PM
my fuel filters have all been replaced recently. I don't know about the intake lowering torque. I've never even heard of that. Maybe headers, but not an intake. Thanks for the opinion though.
Do you think I need to readjust my idle mixture? Maybe there isn't enough air to grab under the hood at high speeds?

1988starter
08-07-2003, 07:32 PM
Check all your vacume lines.

racerx
08-08-2003, 06:22 PM
I already did. The only thing that might be leaking a little would be the second line to the distributor, and that's been like that for awhile, so I doubt it's that.

fuzzy audio
08-14-2003, 11:20 PM
I had a problem like that on my old 80 Lude. It ended up being that the gasket that holds the carb onto the intake was shot, and then it loosened up so it would do stuff like that. Just a though.

racerx
08-15-2003, 05:16 AM
Actually, it might have been one of two things:
1. there WAS a little leak on my carb gasket so I took some 400 degree silicone rubber and covered it after readjusting the position.
2. I was cleaning the engine bay when I noticed one of the plug wires was not sitting completely on the plug... heh heh...ahem...