PDA

View Full Version : REmoving outer black window rim

xdeathx
08-06-2003, 09:24 AM
Around the back window of my 89 ex-i theres this black rim of shit that has been falling off it chunks and is starting too look real ugly. The silver underneath it looks way better anyways. The best ive come up with is using a really really powerfull presure washer (also really really slow) Does anyone know how to romove that stuff totally????:pimp:

89accordLXiAllAudio
08-06-2003, 09:39 AM
i dont but i wish i could. ive been trying to do the same for a while with no luck. i cant scrape the black shit off without scratching the metal underneath. HELP US!!

BITESIZE
08-06-2003, 09:39 AM
Use a razor blade but be careful not to scratch the silvery metal.

markmdz89hatch
08-06-2003, 09:40 AM
If you really just want to get rid of the black, and expose the chrome underneath, just get a razorblade, and very carefully razor a line on the outside of the trim (top and bottom). Then use the blade to peel the black crap off the chrome. By razoring the lines, the black crap will stop peeling at that line.

Did that make any sence at all?

xdeathx
08-06-2003, 09:50 AM
thanks

MIK3
08-06-2003, 10:55 AM
Yeah. That's what I'm currently doing right now. Accept chrome I absolutely hate on any vehicle, so I'm going to take the time to mask and newspaper and repaint it the color of my bumpers. A bit of work, a lot better looking.

NXRacer
08-06-2003, 10:59 AM
mine was peeling in chunks too and i did what mark said and it worked pretty good. The only problem i has was cutting a straight line and also some of it hadnt separated from the chrome yet and i wasnt able to get it to come up with the blade. I'm just wating for the last little bit to come off. I think a heat gun or a high heat hair dryer may be able to separate it, but i dunno.

johndej
08-06-2003, 11:08 AM
yeah, i pulled the stuff out from under the windows and off the outside of the back hatch glass. looks alot better in my opinion.

MIK3
08-06-2003, 11:17 AM
Hmmm. A heat gun. Won't that damage the paint? If not I'll try it. I have a heat gun.

NXRacer
08-06-2003, 11:23 AM
you should probably be careful. Maybe try holding a piece of heavy cardboard or something under the trim so it covers the paint. I dont think you'd have to use very high heat. you dont wanna melt the stuff, you just want to soften the glue or whatever is bonding it to the chrome. I'm not sure if that stuff is paint or what though.

DBMaster
08-06-2003, 12:54 PM
The stuff is actually a rubber coating over the metal. I took off the pieces under my rear pop-out windows and prepped and painted them black. Someone on this board said they recovered their trim with blackout tape. The problem with removing the rubber is that you still have black pieces in the corners. The top trim on the windshield is the same construction as well.

markmdz89hatch
08-06-2003, 01:02 PM
Just a thought, but has anyone explored the option of using rubberized undercoating to fix this problem?

charlesb2003
08-06-2003, 05:04 PM
i used duplicolor bumper coating on mine... it's rubberized a little and it soaks in to the rubbery stuff on the trim really well... in the spots where bare chrome is showing just sand it a little first before painting.

DBMaster
08-06-2003, 07:50 PM
Yes, Charles has it right. I used that same paint on my rear window trim. Rubberized undercoating ould probably work well, too, as long as you can control the application and get it to come out even.

My trim was not quite that bad. It just had a bunch of little cracks in it. No metal was showing through yet.

A Dawg Jr
08-06-2003, 07:57 PM
I say leave it chrome..

DBMaster
08-06-2003, 08:10 PM
Problem is that it's not chrome. You end up with an uneven finish and black corner pieces. If you like it that's great.

I think it would have been much better if Honda has chosen to epoxy coat the parts black instead of dipping them in rubber.

Your signature is great, BTW!

danronian
08-06-2003, 08:26 PM
I'll try the hair dryer method and let everyone know, since I already scraped off about half of the stuff, and couldnt do anymore, so I ended up using touch up flat black on the chrome and it looks like shit. I want it either black or chrome since either looks good on a black car.

MIK3
08-07-2003, 07:40 AM
I'm not sure if a hair dryer will reach the temperature to making the molding hot enought to scrap off easier. If it doesn't work, guard your paint, and try a heat gun and let us know how it comes out.