PDA

View Full Version : Tach bounces but engine RPM does not!

BootMachine
08-06-2003, 10:55 AM
Thats right...my tach has a mind of its own. CLose to 3000 rpm my tach needle will bounce up to 4 grand and back down really fast but the engine rpms are the same.

I think my distributor is worn out. I'm on my second dist now. The first one ate itself apart and could not keep reasonable timing!

SO....is this problem comming from the dist?

and if it is? Is it affecting my timing at that RPM? I cant very well get in my engine bay with a timing light at 3000 rpm under load so I gotta know if I need a new dist before I replace my engine....(the new engine has no dist)

Tnkx

LA

AccordEpicenter
08-06-2003, 02:15 PM
ok... if you hear a sound like a small rock is kicking around in the dizzy when its running you need a new one. If it doesnt, it probably still is the problem although it could be the coil.

1988starter
08-06-2003, 05:27 PM
I had the same problem replaced the distributer everything good then it happened at idle so I used my warenty and replaced it again no problems now.

POS carb
08-08-2003, 09:03 AM
mine just started doing the same shit today, I'll let u know what I find, probably the coil wires or the ignitor is fucking things up

VTEC_Inside
08-08-2003, 10:51 PM
I just started noticing something similar on my '89.

I thought I was seeing things, then I started to pay more attention. Sure enough the momment I hit 4000rpm in 3rd gear and on, the tach needle starts jumping up 500-800rpm and then comming back down to actual RPM. The engine is still running smoothly when this happens but the tach is all over the place.

I have two questions pertaining to this.
1) What the heck is actually going on here?

2) I have another distributor assembly, but I was told that it is not interchangable with the one on the engine now. I've looked at them both and think this is a load of bull. My original engine was replaced and it had the distributor with the internal ignitor. The engine in my car now has the external (shiny thing) ignitor.

If this is actually a distributor problem, can I use the other one? I have the appropriate caps for both since I know they are different.

I also have another stock coil pack if that might be the cause of the problem.

VTEC_Inside
08-10-2003, 07:46 PM
Anyone?

I assume this tach jumping is going to get worse and would like to know what my options are.

Thanks in advance.

1988starter
08-10-2003, 09:18 PM
Their are different distributers and they should not be interchanged. Also it does sound like a distributer problem but forst check your coil and also make sure your alternatr is reading right.

BootMachine
08-11-2003, 11:46 AM
humm..sounds like everyone is having this problem.

Here is what I have found.

My first dist. sounded like ass. It was grinding itself apart from the inside out. SO...I called Honda and for 900 bucks I could get a new one....FUCK THAT. Went to a junkyard and pulled a used one. The grinding went away but this new one makes and tach jump.

I pulled the cap off the old dist and it was FULL of metal shavings which would explain why sometimes my engine would only run on 3 cyls. The old dist is stored away in case I need parts from it or something.

This new one makes my tach jump at 3000 RPM to 4500 RPM but the engine is smooth.....

BUT...my exhaust system fell off the other day and I can now hear everything happening in my engine...when the Tach jumps...the engine sound changes a little so I think that the actual timing is affected!

Ideas?

hondamanlxi
08-11-2003, 12:47 PM
FYI : this happend to my freinds saturn! It was a bad atly!

1988starter
08-11-2003, 01:16 PM
I got a new tec distrubuter from auto zone 200 bucks lifetime warenty seems to work well.

BootMachine
08-11-2003, 01:23 PM
Aint no auto zone up here man! I live in Ontario and I have NEVER seen an auto zone...or Pep Boys....or APC Eurotails.

1988starter
08-11-2003, 04:23 PM
try crappy tire. OR if you realy want I would alaways be willing to ship one up if money was provided.

BootMachine
08-12-2003, 11:17 AM
nice nice...I'll keep that in mind!

I wont need one until I rebuild my engine but I have your e-maill addi so if I need a dist and cant find one here I'll shoot you down some cash!

1988starter
08-12-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by BootMachine
nice nice...I'll keep that in mind!

I wont need one until I rebuild my engine but I have your e-maill addi so if I need a dist and cant find one here I'll shoot you down some cash!

OK sounds like a plan

OldSchoolSwap
08-12-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by POS carb
mine just started doing the same shit today, I'll let u know what I find, probably the coil wires or the ignitor is fucking things up call me, i might have a 3gee distributor laying around.

tedwright
08-12-2003, 09:29 PM
i would put my money on a grounding problem.....

1988starter
08-12-2003, 09:33 PM
When I had this problem I replaced all ground wires plug wires plugs fiddled with timing filters and alternator never went away untill I got a new distributer.

VTEC_Inside
08-13-2003, 07:14 AM
Can anyone elaborate as to why the two distributor types are not interchangeable? I would soo love to put the one from my original engine on simply so that I can just go in an ask for the proper cap for my car, rather than digging up the part number. I completely forgot about the different distributor thing once already and got the wrong cap. You know those vacuum line plugs near the drivers fender? They can fly pretty far when there is a backfire. :)

Curiousity is killing me here...

I guess I'll be taking a trip to the scrap yard if it gets any worse. I'll probably be able to pick a distributor assembly up for $50CAD, they aren't too bright at this particular yard.

As it stands I only seem to have the problem when accelerating in 3rd gear through 4000rpm. It will start to jump AS SOON AS it hits 4000rpm and then by the time it hits 4500-4800rpm it appears normal again.

I had enough room yesterday to get it over 4000rpm in 5th and it behaves normal regardless of throttle position.

Oh and can anyone direct me to someone who has the ability to chop the 'q' off the end of my username, it was a typo that I failed to notice when I registered.

pimp86LX
08-13-2003, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by BootMachine
Aint no auto zone up here man! I live in Ontario and I have NEVER seen an auto zone...or Pep Boys....or APC Eurotails.

Im in ontario too:super: I goto Parts-source, UAP/NAPA, Car-Quest, Crappy tire, theres TONS of places to go.