PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum lines and installing a cold air intake

Jims 86LXI HB
06-13-2002, 10:20 AM
Ok I checked out the how to and it doesn't talk about what to do with all the vacuum lines running into the stock intake system. My 86LXI has a awefull lot of them running into the intake system. I havent' installed my cold air intake yet, instead I'm using a K&N filter in the stock box. What the heck to I do with those vacuum lines? What do I plug them with? How do I keep it all looking nice when I do plug them. Seems like a real pain to have to trace them to where they start.:rolleyes: But I guess that's what I'll have to do.

Jareds 89 LX-i
06-13-2002, 10:26 AM
I thought there was just 1 hose connected to the part you'de be replacing, which is the one that goes from the valve cover to the intake pipe. You shouldn't have to do anything with all the vacuum lines connected to the intake manifold or throttle chamber, since that's not going anywhere. But I could be wrong :rolleyes:

ACCORD EX
06-13-2002, 10:36 AM
the lonly hose you'll have trouble is the one jared is taling about with the PCV valve ! :D

for carb guys it's more complicated ! :(

MIKE

Jims 86LXI HB
06-13-2002, 10:46 AM
I'm not talking about the PCV valve, the intake I have has a nib for that. Their are 2 vacuum lines hooked up the the stock intake where it comes from the air box behind the engine. And I thought I saw more than those 2. But I just ran out to the car to look and that's all I could see.

Jareds 89 LX-i
06-13-2002, 11:00 AM
Hmmm....maybe you Cali peeps have more vacuum hoses or something. Do you have any pics?

Jims 86LXI HB
06-13-2002, 11:16 AM
No, no pics and I'm mid roll on both my camera's and I can't use them for car pics till I finish filming my pet project.:rolleyes:

88LXiHB
06-13-2002, 11:48 AM
86-87's had more hoses for the intake then 88-89's....talk to Sabz, he has an intake on his 86...

shepherd79
06-13-2002, 12:13 PM
hey jim,
if i remember correct, 86-87lxi has 2-3 of them and 88-89 has only 1-2.
here is a picture of 88 intake
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=598&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

well, i tried to look around the board and apperently people with 88-89 lxi accord did the CAI.
so i am don't know what to say. may be some one else can tell you.

Chris86Lxi
06-13-2002, 01:14 PM
Jim, I have an 86 Lxi with intake and you are exactly right about all those hoses. The other guys have no clue what they are talkin about. We have 2 hoses on the left side and 2 on the right side. You will need to buy things called 2 fittings which look like a T. It has 3 connections on it (3 holes) You will need to plug 2 of the stock vacuum hoses into the Top of the T and then you will need to buy some new vacuum hoses from advance or something and start cutting that hosing certain lengths and will plug that hose to the T with the other 2 stock hoses connected to it.
Talk to Sabz about it. He told me exactly how to do mine and it's great. Also, you will need to buy a breather filter for the part on the actual valve cover (the head). YOu won't need to run a hose to that, just the breather filter popped on there will do the same job.

Chris

CoAsTeR
06-13-2002, 02:14 PM
you think YOU have vaccuum line probs?!?! Damn, you should see my carb! I popped my hood after I first got the car to find the vaccuum leak, removed the air box to get at them.... then drove it straight to the dealership...DAMN I must have counted 100 lines MINIMAL!!!!!!!

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
06-13-2002, 02:53 PM
That was the same question I had....Since the custon CAI wont have the fittings to put the hoses!! Where would they go?