PDA

View Full Version : New member, any advice welcome.

NixZero
06-13-2002, 12:12 PM
I've had my 88 LX for 2 years now, and I was thinking of selling it last week. I wanted to fix it up first, since it's not in the best shape, so I started looking online for parts. Then I came across a few sites and I'm not sure if I want to sell it anymore! I'm too poor to boost performance that much, but I'm thinking about making some alterations to it's appearance. Right now, it still needs some work (power steering pump seals, A/C clutch not kicking in, probably from hitting a pole right where the A/C clutch relay is, and fixing that nasty dent the pole made in my fender) but I think she's got potential. Most of the work I wanna do myself, which is good considering I have limited options anyways. I'd like to get it painted first, but I don't have much money. Is a cheap paint job worth it? I can get the fender fixed and color matched, or get it fixed and have the wole car painted with cheap stuff. I figure the paint's already chipping and coming off, so I might as well have new paint that chips, but... Any suggestions are welcome. Also, my tranny (Automatic) is kinda chunky... How much would a replacement be including labor? Any way I can convert to manual?

TeKKnoTeKK
06-13-2002, 01:10 PM
What's up bro welcome to the board! Sounds like you are gonna definetly need some body work first. I would do all the body work before you paint to save some trouble, as far as paint jobs go you get what you pay for. As far as the tranny swap I am not sure what that would cost, but it would definetly be possible to switch to manual if you wnated to

NixZero
06-13-2002, 01:14 PM
Yeah, I want to get rid of that dent ASAP. I can get that done, labor and all for $70, but the paint is my main concern. I'd like a white accord, especially since I live in AZ, but I can't afford more than $300 for paint.

phatazzDX
06-13-2002, 01:41 PM
Try Macco for the paint....should be able to work something out in your budget.

88LXiHB
06-13-2002, 02:10 PM
Just be sure to do ALL the prep work your self, and shell out a little extra for more clearcoats if possible....

WELCOME :wave:

NixZero
06-13-2002, 08:53 PM
I called Earl Scheib for an estimate, and they'll replace my fender, and give me the Pro 3 job for around $400, with a 6 year warranty for fading & peeling, and an option for %50 off another paint job or touch up should I mess this one up somehow.
http://www.earlscheib.com/pro3.aspPackage

Does anyone know if this is a crap deal or if it's worth it? I'm leaning towards white, and if I do, I'll paint the bumpers and moldings if it's not too much. Thanks for the help.

POS carb
06-13-2002, 11:08 PM
it would probably be best to get a fender from an auto wrecker of the same color because then u won't ahve to match or worry about crappy paint/labor and u get good quality factory paint. I hope your frame isn't bent. As for the A/c first make sure that the pulley is spinning smoothly and then check so see if the power wire is still connected to it, it could've come off in the crash. It's a single wire (about 16 gauge if I remember correctly) and it comes in from the bumper to the compressor. If that's not connected the clutch won't lock up and spin the compressor. U can see pics of my accident repair on my long-negleted site http://www.alegret.com/krome .
Welcome and good luck.

James
06-13-2002, 11:27 PM
I live in Arizona aswell (Tucson), about 6 months ago I had to replace my transmission with a rebuilt one. Total cost including labor came out to around $2000. A Lot of money.

James
06-13-2002, 11:28 PM
Oh yeah, its automatic.

POS carb
06-13-2002, 11:33 PM
That's why I'm glad I do all my work myself! Mechanic skills are among the best you can have.

James
06-13-2002, 11:38 PM
I sure wish I had mechanic skills. I have done minor stuff. I want to do more, but i'm afraid that I will reck my car. lol. That would be bad, don't have enough money to deal with that right now. I have so much I want to do with my car, so little money and skills.
:(

Oh well...

jigga225
06-14-2002, 06:56 PM
man just use the board to look up and find the info you need. ask questions if you dont know whas up.
Also buy some tools and a haynes manual