PDA

View Full Version : Stuff i dislike about the accord

AccordEpicenter
08-07-2003, 06:49 PM
Dont get me wrong guys i love my car but a few things really bug me about it, for instance, the steering feel really blows when compared to newer cars and the seats dont feel as comfortable as alot of other cars ive driven.... Can you guys relate? What do you guys dislike about it

Mike's89AccordLX
08-07-2003, 06:52 PM
Um... I just got a new racing Turbo wheel and Momo wheel hub.

dXsquared
08-07-2003, 06:53 PM
he means the response, i think.. try changing some original suspension parts... that makes a huge difference

Travis

Mike's89AccordLX
08-07-2003, 06:54 PM
Oh well, I just figured he wanted a different look too.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
08-07-2003, 06:54 PM
The Nissan feels Firmer but I find the steering harder.. The accord feels softer to me, Well used to since I don't have any power steering.

od2681
08-07-2003, 07:27 PM
the steering wheel is ok...i find the seats kinda uncomfortable......
other then that...its cool...just worries me to have 250000+ miles on it...

Mike89Accordcom
08-08-2003, 12:03 AM
I think my 3G is pretty comfy actually. I mean ya my TL is more, but the 3G is pretty nice...

chriskatana
08-08-2003, 05:23 AM
I love my 3G seats, very comfy! after 230K i'm impressed,
as for steering feel, i find that all cars with power steering are a litte lacking in the steering feedback.

89accord_lxi_coupe
08-08-2003, 05:34 AM
i don't mind the steering, actually like it the way it is. i do agree the seats are a bit uncomfortable. when i sit down it's like sitting on a park bench. i may need to replace the padding. my ugly ass wouldn't do that much damage to it, but i don't know about the previous owner.

NewAKI
08-08-2003, 08:42 AM
out of all my cars the best comfy seats were both my 3geez's... the eclipse want bad and the corolla aint bad but i rather have my 3geez seats back

Morpheus
08-08-2003, 08:58 AM
I like my seats, pretty comfy.
Good support too.

Id liek to ditch the power steering for better feel though.

markmdz89hatch
08-08-2003, 09:06 AM
after well over 100K mi. in the 3G, I've got to admit, it's not as "cushy" as a buick park ave., or as sporty as my former Z'car, but it's a good happy medium. I like 'em just fine.

AccordEpicenter
08-08-2003, 03:29 PM
well its that the steering (in all the 3gs ive had) was kinda loose compared to like, a 98 accord or a mid 90s civic... most things in my front end are newer stuff, like tie rod ends and lower bjs.. and it drives straight but its a little loose side to side...

cdscowboy
08-08-2003, 05:00 PM
Mine's pretty tight side to side, personally. Even more so now that I'm dropped:D I also love my seats though...they're quite comfy, like everyone else has said. The lumbar is also nice!

I don't like how my door "clicks" when I open it. I don't know if that's a coupe/hatch (same doors) thing or what, but it's a pretty loud click. I have to hit the little pin down every once in a while as well.

SteveDX89
08-08-2003, 07:31 PM
I've found that my seats have more lumbar support than other cars. I like that, much more supportive, although on longer trips my ass gets kinda sore. I don't like how my exhaust sputters at idle. I think it's because my timing is off but I don't know. My trunk leaks and my passenger door sticks out a little bit farther than it should.

Coitis1
08-08-2003, 09:52 PM
well, this kinda stuff happens to old cars. My steering is fine for everyday driving, but once i get on the highway, it's really loose. Not good. And the seats are ok, but i would like more support for hard cornering and longer trips. I wisht he console was like that of an eclipse, where it comes up to about elbow height. I just feel more cozy when i'm in an eclipse. Plus u can use the console like an armrest and you can put your stuff in it. I always have to throw my cell phone in my glove compartment when i leave it in there(only when i work).

Blue Impact
08-09-2003, 12:02 AM
My biggest problem is with the car aging, it's falling apart and it needs lots of attention which costs me lots to keep it running that's why I'm giving up with the Accord. I mean, I don't abuse it or anything. I treat it like a queen. It gets premium gas (despite the gas prices here in CA), oil change every 3k miles or so and so on and so forth. What else can it ask for?

markmdz89hatch
08-09-2003, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by SteveDX89
I've found that my seats have more lumbar support than other cars. I like that, much more supportive, although on longer trips my ass gets kinda sore. I don't like how my exhaust sputters at idle. I think it's because my timing is off but I don't know. My trunk leaks and my passenger door sticks out a little bit farther than it should.

Steve, if you mean that when it's shut, It doesn't seem to close all the way, that's a very simple fix. Just pick up a star bit to match the bolts on the door striker (in the door jamb), loosen 'em up a bit and slide the striker back. (If you don't want to bother with it, I can help you out when you come up for the meet in a few weeks.

SteveDX89
08-09-2003, 05:56 AM
I think the striker is pushed back all the way, I'll have to check. I'll see if I can get it to work but if not, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Busted_Blue
08-09-2003, 09:58 AM
The older hondas with power steering is amazingly loose...very handy for parking. Like Blue Impact said..the car is aging..and although the engine can last long..the body isn't the same. Mine is starting to break slowly dued to being parked outside. One thing I really don't get is the DOOR handles breaking off...have any of you had that problem too?

89cordlx
08-09-2003, 11:42 AM
does anyone have a problem with a seatbelt sticking? my passenger seatbelt sticks like a mother.... sucks to be a passenger in my car.

johndej
08-09-2003, 12:06 PM
well, my passenger seatbelt doesn't stick, it just hangs there limp. it sucks cause it has torn up the inside of the passenger side door cause the buckle gets slammed in there so often when peeps forget to pull it up.

markmdz89hatch
08-09-2003, 12:39 PM
:werd:

But that's the first thing that EVERYONE must learn before they even think about getting out of the car. I make sure that everyone that uses that door knows to pull the seatbelt back into the door before they even open it. Otherwise, they all know, they're buying a new door panel.

tedwright
08-09-2003, 11:10 PM
that is probably what i hate worst about the car, the seatbelts. and if you have the windows down on the highway, and you lean forward, or move around a little bit, the wind will keep them from retracting. my drivers side door panel has a few marks on the inside of it from the seatbelt getting caught in the door. not a problem for me, but i bought the car from a woman(enough said).

the seats on the other hand, i find very comfortable. ive had many cars, and these are the most comfortable seats i have ever sat in. i wish they were power and had a bolster adjustment, not just lumbar, though.

just my .02 $$

2old_honda
08-09-2003, 11:58 PM
I dont know if anyone said this yet but I really hate the RUST I hate that hondas rust so easily. They have always rusted in the same places for years, through several generations of cars. Every time it is the same place (wheel wells, trunk, floor pan, etc.). I am even seeing older 5th gens starting to rust on the rear wheel wells (big suprise:rolleyes: ) I really wish that they would fix this problem.

Sean
08-10-2003, 08:53 AM
cheap steel. i dont mind the rust its the squeak and rattle accompanying a 15 yr old car that crive me nuts. nothing a screw driver and a few wrench cant fix. but tightening stuff up is a PITA

AccordEpicenter
08-10-2003, 07:22 PM
yeah sean i hear ya, my car has 0 rust (Shocking, i know) but little vibrations and squeaks/rattles get to me at times, thats what really reminds me how old a car it really is. I cant idle without at least 2 things making noise inside

charlesb2003
08-10-2003, 07:43 PM

the rattling at idle drives me nuts! it's not really bad.. but being stuck in traffic and having the steering column rattle no matter how i fix my hands on it sux! i tried tightening up the screws under it and it helped a little but it still rattles. that and whatever's in the glovebox rattles if i don't have it a certain way.

also, my windshield rattles a bit when i hit bumps... not really a rattle but more of a creaking noise. it leaks too, but that's about to be fixed...

other than that i love my car! seats are comfy and the steering is nice and tight at all speeds. the pedals have a nice tight feel. no rust and the engine and suspension are in great shape after 136,000 miles.

only thing i wish it had are cupholders and a center console armrest.......

SteveDX89
08-11-2003, 03:01 AM
You guys must have lemons or something. My car doesn't rattle at all. My steering wheel shakes a little at 70 but before and after that, it's fine.

2old_honda
08-11-2003, 10:55 AM
You guys must have lemons or something. My car doesn't rattle at all. My steering wheel shakes a little at 70 but before and after that, it's fine.

mine dosent either, but i do have the normal rust :rant:

POS carb
08-11-2003, 11:33 AM
1. no power
2. no space
3. no power

MrBen
08-11-2003, 11:52 AM
I'd say the only thing I dislike is the fact that all bumpers weren't painted.

TJ89Accord
08-11-2003, 12:32 PM
I hate mine being carbed, auto, and I hate the rust...

tim

hondamanlxi
08-11-2003, 02:13 PM
rust? whats that?

hehehehehe

i bet i have more sun cancer tho :(

charlesb2003
08-11-2003, 04:45 PM
yea.. the sun's a killer. the back of the roof is a little faded on mine. the top of the back seat is faded, and some of the plastic parts in the interior were sun damaged (vent thing in driver's door, front passenger door handle trim) but i changed them.

charlesb2003
08-11-2003, 04:48 PM
sometimes i wonder how the plastic parts inside my car don't melt in the intense louisiana heat...

my mom used to have an oldsmobile 88 and the doors would get stuck in the summer because the gaskets would melt into the door...

danronian
08-11-2003, 07:04 PM
Things that I hate:
1. putting idle exhaust noise
2. car shakes from 60 - 70 mph
3. slow retracting seatbelts
4. from squeeks from road bumps
5. engine's "buzz" noise
6. rusted out lower 1/4 panels
7. clearcoat peeling on the paint
8. very leaky engine
9. very slow windows
10. rear moonroof leaks
11. sun rotted back seat
12. no cupholders or center console
13. intermittently working door lights

But I love the feel of the steering and the seat support with adjustable lumbar, but I do find myself holding on during a sharp turn, I am looking to upgrade to 89 prelude black bucket seats. I also love the gas mileage, snow tractions, and reliability.

fuzzy audio
08-16-2003, 04:32 PM
Man! I love my 3G! It's been the best car so far! Is it a new car? NO! But it sure kicks ass! MY GF just bought a 94 Camry XLE V6, though she can out run me, that's about all she's got on me. I like her seats for longer drives, but they are leather. I like cloth seats. And her steering is WAY too tight. I love the loose steering. I'm sure it's not so great at 100mph, but for day to day driving it's great!

The only complaint that I really have is that there is no cup holders.

charlesb2003
08-16-2003, 04:41 PM

i fixed the rattle today. it was that little light in the steering column that lights up the keyhole, it wasn't snapped in tight. took the plastic off the steering column, snapped it back in and put it all back together.. no more rattles! woo hoo!

ohh, and my steering used to shake bad between 60 and 70 because i had a bent rim. i just put on Maurice's SE-i rims on with new tires and i can go any speed without shakes. smooth as silk.

Morpheus
08-16-2003, 04:49 PM
My biggest complaint is the lack of power.
The 3gee would have been a huge hit if it had come with the Japanese B20a.

accordlxi2.0
08-16-2003, 07:42 PM
i love mine's the steering is waaaaaaaaaayyyy handy compared to my previ car & mom's car(mercury and there steering is controlled just like our's too!) the seat's i think there bucket it look's like compared to the other car.
and the transmission i like how it's electronically controlled.
i admit honda should've put a bit more horse's in both of them,
but hey the power is very good , for a car that size and gas mileage suck's
from what i read y'all getting 'bout 250 and the timing is advanced too and u floor it .:sadwave:

AccordEpicenter
08-17-2003, 02:48 PM
lol that sucks... i get at least about 350 miles to the tank, usually driving at 75-80, oh yea and i have no muffler (that cost me some MPG, just not having one anyway) oh yea and im starting to get electrical problems with the interior lights, they started getting dim and now they wont come on at all anymore... i think i have a facked wire somwhere

ALTERED4
08-17-2003, 05:59 PM
i drove the car around for 10 years, i really didnt complain about it much, since i really did like the car... well, the auto bothered me a little at first...

i guess i only had 1 real complaint... sure there was a lot of stuff either not working, or on its way out, but it all boiled down to age...

regardless of how great the mpg's were, or how reliable the car was, the car was old, and it was showing major signs...

i still miss the car :(

dXsquared
08-17-2003, 06:05 PM
I hate that my car ahs had like 10 owners and they all abused the car.. so now its a high miles ruted out, beat up interior POS... I put way too much cash into this car.. now its pissing me off... I guess i just have to get creative on teh inside and get some new panels to fit the rust

then i sell it adn get a MINT 1991 CRX/Civic SI

Travis

AccordEpicenter
08-17-2003, 08:17 PM
if they are neglected they die early deaths. Nothing big has failed on my car and i doubt it will (except maybe tranny but im still LOOKING FOR 5 SPEED SWAP PARTS... BUT SOMEBODY SCREWED ME!) I have to admit the car isnt that refined, like i mentioned earlier, the steering feel blows, and the car is loud compared with newer stuff, and just overall just not as stable. I can still turn corners faster and with more balance than my moms 98 LX-V6 accord... there is somthing to be said about that. Also her brakes arent much better than mine either.

dXsquared
08-17-2003, 08:23 PM
i have 400 000 kms... thats still high.. just the interior is SHOT.. thats why i am gutting and rebuilding to hide the ugly shit in the back

Travis