PDA

View Full Version : Auto Tranny Linkage Question

Zennik
08-08-2003, 09:58 AM
I've got an '89 Accord SE-i, Auto Tranny.
Alright, because im a complete dumbass, I destroyed the seal and the boot for my shift linkage, and bent the solid-rod at the end of it. Dont ask how I did it.

Now, I need to replace it, I have the replacement one. Is there any way in hell I can do the swap without dropping the tranny? And can someone possibly provide me with a picture of the inside of an auto tranny so I know what im facing?

BITESIZE
08-08-2003, 11:24 AM
That sucks.

A20A1
08-08-2003, 02:12 PM
You bent the cable that runs under the car to the trans? or the shifter itself?

njpeter
08-09-2003, 05:00 AM
I'm faced with a similar issue when time comes to put the new auto tanny in my wife's car. The junkyard cut the ^*^^*&** cable and it sure looks like I'll have to split the engine/tranny to change it..realllly sucks.

Zennik
08-09-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by A20A1
You bent the cable that runs under the car to the trans? or the shifter itself?
into the tranny
and i've had one person tell me I have to take the engine out, AGAIN, to do this, and im very annoyed now, because everyone I did have to help me with this project, are now off on their ways back to college, grr :/

only other option is to locate myself a Shifter Assembly and clutch pedals for a 5-speed. I've checked local junkyards, only place that had one is a place you have to do your own labor and such at, and I couldnt get any of the bolts to break lose for the life of me.

cruznz
08-09-2003, 03:00 PM
shouldn't think you'd have to remove the engine........with mine(F4 tranny)...i just removed the crossmember,the side cover(where cable goes thru)...and the flywheel cover.....on the shifter end,instead of removing the heat sheild/cover(or whatever you want to call it),...i just used a couple of extensions to remove the 2 10mm bolts that secure it up by the shifter,(a bit of grease in the socket will stop the bolt from coming off the socket once removed).....but give yourself plenty of room underneath

NXRacer
08-15-2003, 09:07 AM
the cable on my g/f's 91 is going out and i'm trying to find one to buy because the damn dealer wants like 300+ to do the job. Where did you get yours zennik? Most auto parts stores think its a dealer only item.

Zennik
08-15-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by NXRacer
the cable on my g/f's 91 is going out and i'm trying to find one to buy because the damn dealer wants like 300+ to do the job. Where did you get yours zennik? Most auto parts stores think its a dealer only item.

Local Salvage yard, I just took some tools with me and cut the section of the car that had it on, off, and pulled it all apart later.
Need me to pull one for you? i can try and pull one from the yard here if they have a '91, they're like, 5 bucks, and the installation isnt that hard, it took me about an hour to do mine.