PDA

View Full Version : Vent problem

Chris86Lxi
06-13-2002, 01:53 PM
I was wonderin what the hell is wrong with my vents? It happened about 6 months ago and what happened was now when i try to turn my vents on the only fuckin setting they work on is high??? What the hell? So now it's either full blast vents or no vents. How can i fix this problem?
Thanks alot,

Chris

accordlx
06-13-2002, 05:30 PM
There is a resistor that controls the fan speeds. It is located somewhere inside the car near the fan itself on the fan housing. It should be held in place by either a clip or a couple of screws. It will look like a little access door from the outside but will look like it has springs on it when you take it out.

Einstein
06-13-2002, 05:38 PM
Yeah, the resistor is probably designed for the medium speeds, and is fully bypassed when you select hi. It's the resistor or the wires going to it.

BoredRec
06-13-2002, 06:14 PM
Yeah, and it's a pain in the ass to replace. Prepare to take out your glove box changing it.
The reason why it works only on high is cuz the resistors are messed up, creating an open circuit. But when you put the setting on high it bypasses the resistors and sends (I think) battery voltage to the blower motor. That's why it only works on high.

shepherd79
06-13-2002, 07:37 PM
you don't have to take your glove box apart. all you have to do is look under it. it is right behind blower motor. it has a plug, disconect it. remove two screws and take it out.
you can eather solder it back together or you can get it from junk yard for almost nothing, i got mine for free.
it takes less than an hour to replace it.

smufguy
06-13-2002, 07:47 PM
u guys are talking about the coil thingie right? usually it has depostis on it like mine did. carefully break it up with a needle nose pliers. they look like lime (calcium carbonate, not the one from my backyard).

Afrosheen
06-13-2002, 09:07 PM
... they look like lime (calcium carbonate,

As Julius from Pulp Fiction would say, "wooo check out the big brain on Brad!".

Bobs89LXi
06-14-2002, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by smufguy
u guys are talking about the coil thingie right? usually it has depostis on it like mine did. carefully break it up with a needle nose pliers. they look like lime (calcium carbonate, not the one from my backyard).

It is actually copper oxide, otherwise known as vertegris. That is what you get when wires corrode.

smufguy
06-14-2002, 03:00 PM
but mine was not corroded evenly. just the first two prongs towards the pass side had deposits on them. and when i broke the deposit off. the coil looked silvery???:confused:

DanG86LX
09-19-2002, 11:22 AM
Oh, looks like an old thread but here is my problem:
Ok, I removed the resistors plate (2 screws) without removing the blower and replaced one of them (Low). Then i tried to put it back and guess what, couldn't put the 2 screws in, nothing to screw in! I reached through the hole and there is a loose metallic plate inside, i assume with threaded holes. I don't know if that plate was glued there and got loose or is designed to be loose. Wonder if anybody had same problem? I don't want to take blower out if can be done otherwise..

Originally posted by smufguy
BTW, don't take the so called LIME off, that's sort of cement for providing support for resistors. Without it they slack (due to current which heat them up) and short one others..

smufguy
09-19-2002, 05:55 PM
u probably turned the plate the other way around cause the plate is held down by a screw.