PDA

View Full Version : Seth vs the Alternator belt Round 13

jerky_lxi
08-08-2003, 11:39 AM
Ok guys i have been dueling it out with my alternator belt for 13 rounds. I have never been able to get the thing to not wine when i turn on the car. I adjust the belt so it has about 1/2 and inch of deflection and it still starts making noise after 2 days of driving. At first its fine, but then starts to make tiny little noises at stop lights, so this is really driving me nuts. I am tired of going under the car to loosen the bolt, then tighten it on top, move back down and tighten that, put the wheel back on, let it off the jack and have it squeal 5 hours later.
I need to know exactly what to do that keeps it from shifting, or anything i need tips and maybe a picture of where your bolt is at on the top of the alternator belt.

dXsquared
08-08-2003, 11:43 AM
lol... my alt. belt does this when i sit and drain the battery with the stereo... i just rev it at like 2000 for like 10 seconds and it goes away...

Travis

NXRacer
08-08-2003, 11:44 AM
i always adjusted it from the top and didnt have to jack up the car. If its been squeeling, you might want to replace it because it gets burned and smooth (no grip). Try some belt dressing first and see if that helps.

Also, there should be a lock washer on the top adjuster bolt to keep it from loosening up.

njpeter
08-09-2003, 05:16 AM
a new water pump...keep screwing around with it by tightening..and that's where you are going to end up. don't use belt dressing..that's a used car lot fix. I know changing the belt isn't too appealing..but consider the alternatives.

NOAHS88accord
08-09-2003, 06:35 AM
mine didnt start squeaking like that till i had a new alternator installed and then after I picked it up from the repair shop it was squeaking so i asked whats wrong with it. They told me it squeaks till it is broken in and seated correctly. This sounded weird to me, but i was leaving the next day to come back to Korea, so i said okay, and since then it only squeaks when you start it, then you rev it to about 3000 and it goes away.

So my question is, do I need a new belt also? be aware that this is a new belt, but maybe its defective?

njpeter
08-09-2003, 08:04 AM
new belts will stretch a little..check that the deflection is around 1/2 inch..should be pretty tight. Chekck any auto manual on how to check belt tension