PDA

View Full Version : Please help guide me to remove the oil pan from accord 88

legend9
08-08-2003, 06:20 PM
Well, after I took the advice to go buy the oversized screw, it didn't work for me. I've noticed the walls of the pan where you screw the screw in have crackes and holes, so I think I better replace the oil pan. The problem for is that a few weeks ago, I went to the junkyard and tried to remove the oil pan: it just wouldn't come out. I don't know if there is something else I am suppose to do. Anyway, today, I started to take out my oil pan. Please guide me on what I have forgotten.

I took the piping out, the bracket that connects the front to the mid-size of the car ( big bracket right under the oil pan). Next, I unscrew a lot of screws. Is there a # to how many little screws that hold the lips of the pan? I think its size 10mm. What's next to do ? Also, will the oil pan be very rigid in place ? If so, how is it possible to drop it down?

legend9:)

rubberburner
08-08-2003, 09:57 PM
Don't forget to take the flywheel dust shield off. That's gotta come off to get all the nuts/bolts out. The oil pan may come off easy, but it might be stuck. And I mean STUCK. So make yourself lots of time for the project. If the pan is stuck, you'll have to pry it off, but make sure you pry it from between the gasket and the pan, otherwise you'll mess up the mating surface on the block.

When you put the pan back on, use a new gasket, and use some RTV sealant to hold the gasket on the pan while you install it.

Oh, and don't forget to drain the oil;)

legend9
08-09-2003, 06:57 PM
Hi all, I finally managed to stick a metal tube inside the old old pan and jack it off. My question now is that how should I mount the new pan on? Should I put the gasket on the pan and bring it up slowly ? Should I even use any silicon sealant at all??

My autopart has to order the oil pan for me, so it will not come here until monday. In the meantime, any advice would be appreciated.

Justin86
08-11-2003, 10:00 AM
I put the gasket on th pan and then went from there. I thought is was going to be easy until I had to take off the flywheel cover and other shit to get the last two nuts on the pan. It took me an 90mins to take off the pan and 20mins to take out the pistons and put in new ones. pissed me off.

Vinny
08-11-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by legend9
Hi all, I finally managed to stick a metal tube inside the old old pan and jack it off.

Did he say he jacked off his pan??????????

legend9
08-11-2003, 11:49 AM
Come on, this ain't a 3 years old kid forum. If you reply, then reply to help. What I meant was that I stick steel inside the oil pan hole, and pry it off the car. I bet this guy jacks a lot, that's why he's the first one to think of this scenerio....:rolleyes:

Vinny
08-11-2003, 12:01 PM
OK I'll be serious. The honda bible says to apply sealant to four spots, the 4 corners of the pan where the seal curves down in the middle(at the front and back of the engine or left and right of the car) says to apply it to the pan then apply the gasket. And wherether i jack off or not isn't part of this thread

legend9
08-11-2003, 12:05 PM
Much thanks

Vinny
08-11-2003, 12:49 PM
Oh I forgot just incase you didn't know the manuals give a specific order and torque for putting the pan back on, or at least thats what I remember seeing

legend9
08-19-2003, 06:53 AM
Finished the job...wow thanks for the advices. I got one word: Easy. I couldn't believe how easy it was. It was just pain in the rear because of the numerous 10mm nuts / screws. Other than that, it was fun. Anyone installing one, fill free to ask me any question regarding the installation. Maybe I can give some tips. =D

danronian
09-08-2003, 10:01 AM
I was reading either the chiltons or haynes manual on how to install and remove an oil pan and it says you have to hold the engine up with a cherry picker before you can take off the lower engine brace. Is this true? I would think that the upper engine mounts would hold it just fine.

Vinny
09-08-2003, 10:11 AM
nope not true, all your doing is taking off the crossmember so its not necessary to hoist the motor

danronian
09-08-2003, 10:13 AM
thanks for the info