PDA

View Full Version : Amp Ground

A Dawg Jr
08-08-2003, 07:20 PM
K, I'm getting a new amp, but I don't understand a thing about wiring. I want to do it myself sense I'm getting it off the net and I don't want to pay to get it done.

My questions

1. The ground wire can be run through the bottom of my trunk to the frame right?? Would that work? The amp is going to be in my trunk, duh...

2. Do I need to run any power lines to the amp directly off the batt.? I'm guessing yes, but don't know what comes out of the rca's.

How hard is it? I'm a total n00b, but I'm pretty good with this kind of stuff, I know I can figure it out. But is it basically pretty simple?

dXsquared
08-08-2003, 07:34 PM
lol... ill help you out

run the ground wire to a nut on the strut mount in the trunk. there is a cap over it, but you pop it off, and notch the plastic

what size amp? i would go with a 4 gauge power line from the batery... you will need a fuse holder with a fuse...

do you have an amp already? if you do, it will make life alot easier

if not, you will also need a remote 12 volt turn on, usually a aftermarket deck will have one on the back

and RCA's will have to be run.. dont get cheapo patch cords cuz they send a shitty signal that absorbs noise

anymore q's you can PM me or ill talk to you on aim

Travis

pimp86LX
08-08-2003, 07:41 PM
4g? thats pretty big. I mean my 300w amp will run great off a 10g wire. but then again a 4g will leave lots of room for expanding (ie 4g -> 4x10g distribution block is what i have for 2 amps.)

shepherd79
08-08-2003, 08:07 PM
i have to agree with DXhatchback on that one. 4G wire would be the best solution.
it would save money and time in the future upgrades.
go with 4G wire.
run the wire directly from the battery. put the fuse with in 2' of the battery.
about the ground, remember one thing, send the place where you are going to ground it. this way you will get max. ground point. Ground wire should be the same size as the power wire or bigger. it should be as short as possible.

catalin
08-08-2003, 09:11 PM
And don't forget the fuse at the battery or else this can happen to you... :)
http://members.shaw.ca/ccapota/IMG_1025.JPG

Vinny
08-08-2003, 09:16 PM
Hey Trav I totally agree
He might wanna make sure he disconnects his battery cable so he doesn't accidentally ground it out, and I usually make sure I run all my cables under the carpet alongside the doors, helps to cut down on interference that way