PDA

View Full Version : Uh

MrBen
08-08-2003, 09:14 PM
So I have a sub and box. 10 inches. Made by Audio Concepts, unknown wattage and specs ( looked all round it too ). I want an amp for it, but I dunno what to get. I want something cheap, but not a POS. I know I get what I pay for, but I am pretty much poor. What should I do? Mono? 2 channel? What? I am ignorant when it comes to this stuff. I also have no idea what a bridge is, or crossover, or whatever, if I even need that.

Thanks for any help..

cdscowboy
08-09-2003, 12:23 AM
If your only plans for the amp are to power the sub, you can just get a mono amp. If you get a 2 channel, make sure it's bridgeable. That means the amp can be wired such that it'll give the sub the entire output as opposed to half (like if you were to hook it up like a regular speaker). There may also be a little button that selects the bridge option, FYI.

I'm sure you can find something on eBay for a decent price...just look around, and don't be hasty in your choice, and you'll be good to go. I'm gonna guess 150W or so MAX for that sub. If it doesn't have any labeling on it, it's probably a POS and can't take much more than that.

Good luck :) :wave:

A Dawg Jr
08-09-2003, 06:51 AM
what is a crossover??

Bloodlust
08-09-2003, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by A Dawg Jr
what is a crossover??

A crossover is used to adjust manually what frequency your speakers or subs will be set at. Like on a normal amp, there will be a HP Crossover, which will only send out a signal usually 80 Hertz and above to whatever speaker is connected to it. And there is a LP crossover, which will only send frequencies 20-79 Hertz. But If you have an "adjustable crossover" you can set it to any frequency you want to. Like for instance, I have my Kenwood 1000 watt amp powering my sub set to "Full", which means all frequencies may pass through the amp and reach the sub. But then I adjusted my adjustable crossover to only send frequencies up to 60 Hertz. (for any sub you dont want to go any higher than that) But to do that, you have to make sure on your headunit, you have your Low Pass Frequency set to "full" or "flat" or "through" On my head unit, I have it set on Full for my HP (High Pass) and LP (Low Pass) then you can set it on the amp. Understand? A little confusing but I think I got the point across.

Good luck. ;)

A Dawg Jr
08-09-2003, 08:17 AM
ok, that makes sense. Thanks

MrBen
08-09-2003, 09:51 PM
Yeah the sub is a POS but until I get a NICE one this will have to do. I am buying Travis' amp though now :)

MrBen
08-10-2003, 07:28 PM
My friend just hooked it up to his home stereo and all it did was come on real quiet. If it was turned up a little it would sound distorted and crappy.

MrBen
08-10-2003, 08:42 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3039425151&category=39738 what do you guys think about that? My parents wont let me buy Travis' so I have to find something else. I need your opinions on this.. honest.

Bloodlust
08-11-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by GhettoAccord
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3039425151&category=39738 what do you guys think about that? My parents wont let me buy Travis' so I have to find something else. I need your opinions on this.. honest.

To be perfectly honest I would not buy that. It is something you can buy at Pep Boys. You need to get yourself a quality amp. Trust me, you get what you pay for. Get yourself a Kenwood Amp, Excelon Series. They have the cleanest signals and are true power. I can almost guarantee that that Sony XM-280GTX is not truly 400 watts. It might be more like 250. Seriously, buy a Kenwood or something like that.

Bloodlust
08-11-2003, 02:21 PM
I just read your original post. I can understand that you dont have the money for it, but you might as well spend the extra 100 bucks for a quality amp. Because 2 weeks after you buy it you are going to be like shit... why in the fuck didnt I spend that extra little bit to buy something that is good? Trust me I have been there. But if you really want to, buy the Sony, who knows it might work out. ( I am not being sarcastic either.) I wish you the best of luck. PM me if you have any other car audio questions.

zero.counter
08-11-2003, 04:44 PM
My friend just hooked it up to his home stereo and all it did was come on real quiet. If it was turned up a little it would sound distorted and crappy.
You might want to research Ohm's law some. Home stereos use an 8ohm load versus the car audio 4ohm load. That is why your sub sounded odd running the way you had it. Also, you prolly did not have a x-over so the whole spectrum of sound was being pushed but the sub is made specifically for low Hz range.

MrBen
08-11-2003, 05:06 PM
Thanks. Yeah, I'm a dumbass. Whatever.

I decided to back out of this entire thing and sell the sub. Thanks for all your help though.

zero.counter
08-11-2003, 05:13 PM
Thanks. Yeah, I'm a dumbass. Whatever.

I decided to back out of this entire thing and sell the sub. Thanks for all your help though.
I am sorry if you took it the wrong way. I did not mean my post in a condescending fashion, only to help you out. One again, I apologize.

M.