PDA

View Full Version : short ram intake question?

adams86lxi
08-09-2003, 09:47 PM
I just installed my home made short ram intake today, sounds absolutley awesome at high rpms,not sure about performance yet, and I was wondering if you guys have had this problem. Their were 2 vacuum lines connected to the stock intake tubbing. one is smaller than the other and if i plug the smaller one the motor dies, the bigger of the 2 dosent seem to do anything. Their is also another vacuum line connected to the side of the box that contains the filter. What are these lines and what do i do with them. The car seems to run fine with out them but i would rather have them connected if i can. The car is a 86 lxi 5speed. I will get pics tommorow if you need them!

kicker1_solo
08-09-2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by adams86lxi
Their were 2 vacuum lines connected to the stock intake tubbing. one is smaller than the other and if i plug the smaller one the motor dies Well imagine that. There's a line that needs air and you plug it, why would you do that? Honda knew what they were doing when they built that motor and put everything where they wanted it, don't go plugging up lines. Keep air going through it lol

1988starter
08-10-2003, 11:28 AM
drill holes in the intake and put the lines in there.

adams86lxi
08-10-2003, 11:33 AM
Im going to pepboys right now to get some parts so i can snap the vacum lines in place after i drill holes for them but i still dont know what im going to do with the one connected to the air filter box.

modu03
08-10-2003, 03:20 PM
the one on the air filter box is connected to a rectangular box that is removable... I just removed the box and zip tied it to the side of the fi, then put a little breather filter on it to keep dirt and debree out...

also... it is a good idea to reconnect all vaccum lines... they all do something and most of them need to be there.

adams86lxi
08-10-2003, 10:30 PM
alright i am able to reconnect all the vacuum lines. We drilled holes in the intake and got vacuum line adapters from abunch of diffrent auto stores. modu03 thanks for the info on the intake box i was just going to leave the stock box their but now i removed it and zip tied the little box to the brake master cylinder. I am going to run tubbing from the small box to the intake and connect it to one of the vacuum line adapters that we put on it that go into the intake. I havent reconnected every thing yet because I painted the tubbing and am waiting for it to dry overnight before i put it back on tommorow, everything should work perfectly though.

BTW: I noticed with the extra room made by getting rid of the old intake stuff i can reach the oil filter with out having to jack up the car and take it out from underneath!:D