PDA

View Full Version : final sub thread

dXsquared
08-10-2003, 02:26 AM
ok.. i have basically got it down to this...

1 Profile California 420 watt rms mono block
1 Profile California 240 watt rms 4 channel

and either a single audiobahn 12 inch DVC
or 2 Sony Xplod Pentagon 12's

ill know for shur what im doing by monday night

Travis

shepherd79
08-10-2003, 04:33 AM
go with sony (even i hate them) they should sound OK.
but if you save a little more, you can get 2 audiobahn

pimp86LX
08-10-2003, 05:00 AM
well from personal experience I can tell you that you wont be let down by sony (this time...)

You are talking about the sony P5121 right? 1200w-peak/350w-rms ?

87DXHatch
08-11-2003, 11:09 AM
Travis Travis Travis! Let me try to help you before you make a mistake...

What are you looking for from your low-end department? What ratio SPL to SQ? Same as the box I designed for you? Like 70 to 30?

Profile makes ok amps, they're nothing great, but they put out rated power. If I were you, I'd email [email protected] and request a catalog from him. Then get a USX 600F or 800F (600 watts X 1 and 800 watts X 1 respectively) However, you'd have to pay with a money order, so I don't know how that'll work from USA to Canada and vice versa. Otherwise see if you can find a Lanzar OPTI amp on eBay... they are very nice amps, and cheap too... Lanzar's only really good line (some of the Vibe's are decent, but they can't touch the OPTI line).

If you REALLY want some quality, and you want to spend a bit more, go to www.edesignaudio.com and check out the amplifier section. The Tsunami amps are on sale right now, the 1100D is priced at $235 and the 4440 is $165... the former is 1100 watts at 1 ohm, and the latter is 75 watts X 4 @ 4 ohms. I have both of those amps and they are very very very nice.

Now on to subs:

If you want your shit to go "BOOOOOOM" and sound muddy and crappy, but be ridiculously loud, by all means, go with Audiobahn. They are cheap, and get really loud, but have 0 SQ.

From what I hear, those Sony's aren't bad, but I would be willing to wager anything that you can get better for cheaper. Sony has always been overpriced. Check out: www.edesignaudio.com www.adireaudio.com www.respl.com (<--- send those guys an email about their subs, the website isn't up yet).

If you really want some budget subs, get some Pioneers... they make excellent subs that are very cheap.

If you want any other advice, reply, or hit me up PM or email style.

pimp86LX
08-11-2003, 11:12 AM
it wasn't THAT expenseive, but your right better for cheaper. I scored mine for $119 brand new.

Listen to 87dxhatch...he's the man ;)

Vinny
08-11-2003, 11:47 AM
OK now I miss my 3 jl 12w6's and ppi a600, damn gettin old sucks

NXRacer
08-11-2003, 12:12 PM
are those pentagons any good? I know that those stupid kicker solobarics are facking ghey. Personaly, i'd stear clear of anything that isnt perfectly round. Any real audiophile will tell you why anything but round sucks. Sound waves are circular and if you have something that isnt round trying to create a round sound wave, you wont get the most performance from them. I've used Sony Xplods and they've always been good to me. Good SQ and SPL. I'd stay only round IMO. Just my $.02.

*edit* dave, what do you think about Majestic graphite amps? I've used them in the past and they seem pretty good. I've used them for 6x9's and subs and i was pretty happy. They had good mids/highs for the 6x9's and good bass to the subs. Plus, a 300w rms amp is only like 100 bucks.

pimp86LX
08-11-2003, 12:17 PM
yes they are. good bang for the buck. SPL isn't massive but the SQ is pretty good. I have mine in a sealed box with 200rms on it and it is very loud and crisp souding. I listen to rock/metal so i have yet to hear it with some low loooong bass. I would image it could handle it good though.

dXsquared
08-11-2003, 01:18 PM
http://www.audiooutfitter.com/store/items_html/TS-W305DVC.html

will this thing give me MONSTER BASS with 420 watts goin to it?

im basically stuck on that Profile mono block... and i really want to get the sub at the same place...

this sub is available with the amp for 64 bucks... so its 108 for the amp, 64 for the sub and 20 bucks shipping... plus ill have to pay like 30 bucks duty adn taxes when it gets here...

if i can sell my Jensen 2 channel amp, and then sell my cheapo 4 channel, ill get the Profile 4 channel too...

Travis

pimp86LX
08-11-2003, 02:09 PM
have much for the jensen? and how much powah?

dXsquared
08-11-2003, 02:22 PM
its a 200 watt RMS X1 at 4 ohm... i want 75 bucsk canadian.. it was 179.99 a year ago at wal mart...

it would be perfect for a single 12 or ten

Travis

87DXHatch
08-11-2003, 09:48 PM
That pioneer would be great, they make awesome subs. What determines the MOST on whether you get *MONSTER BASS* or not is the enclosure, much moreso than the sub.

So if you bought that Pioneer and made a similar enclosure as the ported one for your W3 (hell you could just open up the opening a little bit more and use that) it would beat you pretty hard with 420 watts.

A Dawg Jr
08-11-2003, 10:01 PM
Hey Dave, what about smaller sealed enclosures? How do they preoduce different sounds then that larger ported. Not really 'how', but what kind of different sounds... Like is the larger ported good for rock, and smaller sealed for better for rap??

Sorry. I'm having a hard time describing it