PDA

View Full Version : Need Help A/c

88lxicoupe
06-13-2002, 05:11 PM
the other day my ac stopd working the buttons dont light up and i cant change the vents which the air blows out of. i took it all apart and have basically figured out that there is no power going to the buttons. does neone know what couild be going on or have a wire scheme for the ac for a 88lxi thanks

Einstein
06-13-2002, 05:25 PM
When I bought my car from the owner, this was exactly the condition the HVAC was in... No lights, no way to change vent direction, and no rear defrost.

After I received my Helm shop manual, I looked at the schematic and instantly determined it was the under-dash fuse #5 that had blown. Replaced it with another 10A, and it blew in about a week when trying the A?C. Replaced it with a 15A (a no-no) and it lasted for a week. Just yesterday it broke on a hot stuffy day so all I had was a 20A (a REAL no-no). This one blew too!

So I gave up on the A/C. It barely worked anyway. I replaced fuse #5 and everything sharing that fuse is working fine.

I went the extra step to disable the A/C (in case my wife tries to use it) and disconnected the A/C dual-diode by pulling it's connector (under the hood). If I push in the A/C button now, the A/C light comes on, but the radiator fans don't engage, and the compressor doesn't kick in. Oh, and fuse #5 doesn't blow. :)

The cool thing is that the computer still gets the signal to bump up the car's idle when you push the A/C switch. This is because it's expecting the compressor to come on. However, there is no load. SO if I'm at a stop light and the car shakes from idling, I can push in the A/C button and it goes up to 1000 RPM... nice and smooth!

DUDE, if you find out what's causing the fuse to blow please let me know. I've always got it in the back of my mind that I might have the A/C serviced.

Maybe the fuse blows when the compressor overworks because the charge is low??? Has your A/C been weak lately?

88lxicoupe
06-13-2002, 05:37 PM
exactly what happend with me the rear defroster doesnt work either. ya it was weak before it crashed. ill go take alook at the fuse and if that doesnt work im gonna have to take it to the shop

Einstein
06-13-2002, 06:21 PM
OK, please come back and tell me what they did and how much it cost.

POS carb
06-13-2002, 08:23 PM
omg I can't believe u took your switches apart, it's usually the fuse labeled "Defroster", the rear electric defroster and the motors that redirect the air vents are on the same fuse under the dash

88lxicoupe
06-14-2002, 01:21 PM
ya i checkd the fuse and its not broken :eek: but originally when i ran some lights i fused it into the rear defroster fuse do u think i shorted out a wire leaving the fuse box?