PDA

View Full Version : it squeals, very ghetto, need to fix!

johnwc723
08-10-2003, 02:11 PM
well ever since i spilled some coolant (possibly some adhesive stuff to? im not quite sure) on my belt (while doing a modification) i have been getting this squealing noise from the engine. (im not sure if all that is related or not) It will squeal when i push down the accelerator about 1/3 constantly (only when im in gear) also it did this really loud SQUEAL for like 3 seconds when i turned on my car once too. what the hell is this (i was thinking belts and i got some belt dressing a squirted it on but it didnt seem to stop it!)
thanks!

zero.counter
08-10-2003, 02:22 PM
Your belts may be either too loose, or worn (check the teeth). The common misconception is that the belts are too tight, where it is actually the opposite.

shepherd79
08-10-2003, 05:06 PM
most likely they are loose. it shouldn't take you too long to tighen them up.

johnwc723
08-11-2003, 08:17 AM
damn, im scared of belts (i have done damn near alli can without taking off belts or messing with them) why would this squeal be triggered by the coolant all of a sudden (and i also did a bypass EFI body coolant mod) (so id dosent heat up)

deadlight
08-11-2003, 07:00 PM
Don't be scared of your belts, if it's your power steering belt than it's really simple, take a pry bar and pull it forward, you just need to loosen the little bolt and pry until you can play the banjo on that belt, retighten the belt and your done. It's easy shit, the other one is a little harder since you tighten it on the alternator and it's tucked back behind the engine

tedwright
08-12-2003, 12:21 AM
its the alternator/waterpump belt..........

If it happened for about 3 seconds when you first started your car, that is beacause you used power from your battery, causing more strain on the alternator. The reason it went away after 3 seconds or so is because the alternator charged the battery back up to where it was before you cranked on it.

My belt would squeel like a mo-fo when i first started the car, and when i would have the headlights on. Then aftter weeks and weeks of me saying I will change it later, it finally broke. Luckily I had alreaday purchased the replacement, but it still sucked because I had to change the damned thing on the hottest day ever on the side of the highway. :)