PDA

View Full Version : stalling problem, now irratic idle?

RustyHo88
08-11-2003, 12:34 PM
for the longest time, i have had a problem with my car dying when i come to a complete stop. ive been learning about my carb from this website (thanks everyone) and ive been adjusting stuff, but im not ready to attempt a rebuid yet, even though it needs one. anyway, after adjusting the slow and fast idle mix screws, i have gotten it to be a little more reliable when i stop, but it still dies pretty often. before i adjusted it, it would either idle at around 2000 rpm, or just die. now, when it doesnt die, it will idle at around 600-800 rpm, but it jumps around a lot... anywhere from 2200 to 400 rpm. its very very weird, and its getting frustrating. usually, if its idleing well, and it starts to die on me, i will hear this noise as if something is farting on the passanger side of the carb... near my choke and air jet controller. i have also noticed, that if i remove a vacuum line directly connected to the carb, and release the existing vacuum, it will idle better for the next few hours, but after that, its back to its old bad self. any suggestions on what it might be? id like to have this car in good working order while i wait to get enough money for a weber carb. thanks.

3rdGenFanatic
08-23-2003, 11:27 PM
I think you should buy some hose and do the vac line removal, that will simplify things to where you can really narrow down the problem to something and it won't cost you a lot of money. You'll get to keep AC and your Choke and everything, just follow A20A1's diagram, look under the vac line removal thread. Tell us if that helps, then we'll narrow it down from there.

RustyHo88
08-25-2003, 06:46 AM
id love to remove my vac lines, but its a 2nd gen and not a 3gen, so i would need to understand the carb a little more or to do it, or have someone walk me through it. the 2g has all the same stuff as the 3 g, but its a little smaller, and there are some things in different places. my car doesnt have A/C, so im not worried about that. anyway, if anyone thinks they can help me out, let me know.