PDA

View Full Version : msd ignition and carb engine

shepherd79
06-13-2002, 08:06 PM
hi guys,
he is my question. Is it possible to putt msd ignition on carb enines? or we can do is just a new coil.
i know some of you have msd ignition on their EFI cars, but i want to know if there is a way to get msd work with carbs.
i looked on msdignition.com website and i can't find any helpful info.
thanks a lot guys.

ignition box

CARBurn
06-15-2002, 10:04 PM
Yes, you can hook up an msd ignition to a carb engine. You can hook up the SCI, SCI-L, MSD 6, MSD 6AL and there are some others. I hooked mine (MSD 6AL)up on my own and it is not that hard, you just need find a good ground, like the firewall. Also mine is in the passenger compartment, not like others who I've seen had it installed in the engine bay. There is more information in the FAQs on MSD installation to help you.

1988starter
06-17-2002, 05:56 PM
CARBurn did you feel any difference after instalation.

89accordtre
06-18-2002, 08:28 AM
Yes its possible and you will be very happy if you install the box and coil. But if I were you i would get new sparkplug's and sparkplug wires. Just so you can feel the full effect of the wonderful ignition power.

shepherd79
06-18-2002, 03:20 PM
WELL,
i have a NGK spark plugs and wires. they are about 1 year old.
Accel coil with advanced timing did a lot of improvement. but i want more spark.
that is why i ask.
i just got msd catalog, so i will look for the prices.

CARBurn
06-19-2002, 12:27 PM
1988starter, yeah there was a difference but again it wasn't a huge difference. What really helps if you have other mods(intake, exhuast,etc) to get the full effect of the box and coil.

I would also suggest what 89accordtre stated, get new wires and plugs(NGK's are good) along with a distributor cap and rotor.

I got the catalog too, but it is like a year old, I wonder have they changed or added anything new for cars?