PDA

View Full Version : displacement???

od2681
08-11-2003, 03:44 PM
yeah i know this might sound stupid...but i have little to no idea of what is meant by displacement in engines..i know in physics that displacement is the distance an object is moved from A to B...deltaD=d2-d1..i think thats the equation but what does that mean engine wise...
just a knowledge question so info is helpfull

mindlos
08-11-2003, 04:37 PM
It also means volume in this particular case. If you paid attention in science you would remember that one of the ways of determining the volume of an object is called the "displacement method," where you measure the volume of the displaced (and collected in a measuring cylinder) when you put an object in a container full of water.

Now if the the pistons were at their most bottom position with all the space above filled with air or water, and they travelled to their most highest position, the total volume of air or water displaced (pushed out) by the movement of the pistons from all four cylinder would equal the quoted manufacturer value.

Conversely you can think of as the sum of stroke length multiplied by the bore size (cross-sectional area) for all cylinders.

Justin86
08-11-2003, 05:22 PM
You hit the nail right on the head. I couldn't have said it any better.

zero.counter
08-11-2003, 05:31 PM
From what I understand a spring (force constant k) is vertically mounted and attached to a mass m.
We give the mass an initial displacement A and release it.
At time t, the displacement of the mass is x. It was something like that.

pimp86LX
08-11-2003, 05:42 PM
i just imagine all the empy space when the cylinder is at the bottom most position as a solid object, dump that in water, booya! you have displacment

dXsquared
08-11-2003, 06:46 PM
and on the accord its 1995 CC's or 1.995 litres... if you want to go Cubic inches its approx 120 CI

Travis

deadlight
08-11-2003, 06:50 PM
I like the way you put it in terms of water. nice.

AZmike
08-11-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by DXHATCHBACK
and on the accord its 1995 CC's or 1.995 litres... if you want to go Cubic inches its approx 120 CI

Travis

1955 cc

od2681
08-11-2003, 08:08 PM
so basically its how much air the piston displaces?????

pimp86LX
08-11-2003, 08:12 PM
more along the lines of how much volume rather than a specific substance.

od2681
08-11-2003, 10:12 PM
so its how much volume of a substance it displaces????

od2681
08-12-2003, 07:50 AM
i think i kinda remember the displacement method...i mean our teacher showed us the example of how much a water a 1000ton ship has to displace....and stuff...so it had to be more then the weight of hte ship....

Dibbs
08-12-2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by mindlos
It also means volume in this particular case. If you paid attention in science you would remember that one of the ways of determining the volume of an object is called the "displacement method," where you measure the volume of the displaced (and collected in a measuring cylinder) when you put an object in a container full of water.

Now if the the pistons were at their most bottom position with all the space above filled with air or water, and they travelled to their most highest position, the total volume of air or water displaced (pushed out) by the movement of the pistons from all four cylinder would equal the quoted manufacturer value.

Conversely you can think of as the sum of stroke length multiplied by the bore size (cross-sectional area) for all cylinders.

:werd:

Very concise, easy to understand. Depth in the heads play a role as well, when applicable of course.