PDA

View Full Version : my 1st problem with the lxi

accordlxi2.0
08-11-2003, 06:44 PM
today i decided not to work on the lx and go out in the lx-i.
as i was driving the gas hand was on e and i somtime's depended on the lo fuel light(like some of u do). and it did'nt come on so when i pulled into the station it shut off.
so when i got home i went to the search page and i did test's and the light came on.
so i'm guessing the sening unit.
on here they also said "it's ground?" what the hell does that mean?
plus what does the sending unit look like?
and to get it off do i really need that "speacial tool"?
when it come's down to any car i own i'm particular so if something not right , i get to the bottom of it a.s.a.p.

RustyHo88
08-11-2003, 08:01 PM
well... im a little confused by your problem. you say your gas light was on, so you pulled into the gas staion, and it turned off? if thats the case, then it was probably just caused by the gas sloshing around in there. im not sure about these hondas, but on my brothers old celica, it had two seperate sensors for the gas light and the fuel guage. the guage was based on a bobber in the gas tank, the gas light was based on some kind of unit at the base of the gas tank before the fuel pump. so... when you had motion, the gas all moved to the back... making your fuel guage seem to creep towards the full mark... while the gas light sensor might think that there wasnt much gas left, since there wasnt much gas in the front of the tank where the fuel pump was. when they say its a ground, that means that something that activates the little light that comes on in your dash is not grounding properly. meaning... theres a bad connection to a wire, or to the chassis somewhere.

accordlxi2.0
08-12-2003, 05:35 AM
no i said it did'nt come on. so i was lucky i was'nt out driving around waiting for it to come on.
i put a jumper wire between the connetor and the light came on and it was bright too.
so do i really need that special tool for that?

RustyHo88
08-12-2003, 06:43 AM
oh ok... you could use a multimeter to test the continuity from the groud wire to the chassis to make sure its grounded. i dont know of any other 'special' tools you could use.

hondamanlxi
08-12-2003, 12:00 PM
he meant special tools to remove sending unit!

RustyHo88
08-12-2003, 06:57 PM
:huh: oh... my bad :bow:

accordlxi2.0
08-13-2003, 02:28 PM
i got it open. . . . just take a flat head and a hammer.
but i tested the ground on the sensor and the sealed part of it and it did'nt beepi tested the connector ground to the ground of the sensor and it beeped.
so i should test the ground of the car and the sensor ground ?

accordlxi2.0
09-02-2003, 07:16 PM
it stated working but then stopped.
so a few question's if i test tha sensor 4 continuity (ground and tha + side's) shound it beep or what?

and it's so dim to tha point i can't see it in sunlight (unless i jump tha wire's)

any help is appriciated

accordlxi2.0
09-03-2003, 04:54 PM
hello?

Mac
09-03-2003, 06:06 PM
If you jumper it out and it lit, the wiring from the sensor to the light is good. You should have a good ground on the black terminal to the sensor (meter should beep if you touch the black terminal with 1 lead and the other on clean metal). It sounds like the ground on the sesor is loose, dirty or corroded. I'm not sure if this will be a quick fix or not because I never dealt with anything in the fuel tank. But maybe if you can attach a wire from the black terminal to the cover or some good ground close by it might work until you decide to change sensor or pull it out to check it's wires.

accordlxi2.0
09-04-2003, 07:34 AM
i changed the sensor and atach a wire to good ground , it come's on but dimly still it's worse i can only see it at night. but very little during the day.
could it be one of those resistor things that wire within????????