PDA

View Full Version : stock intake vs aftermarket

1988_5spd_lxi
08-12-2003, 04:27 AM
is the honda stock intake get cooler air intake that the aftermarket? beacuse the stock get air from the finder. the aftermarket get it from the motor area. some aftermarket get it from the finder but in the 3geen you have to move the battery to do that, i do not want to do that.

dhcarss
08-12-2003, 05:34 AM
:huh: you dont have to move your batt, I have done it on mine, and so have several other people, even with just an air filter in the eng compartment sucking in hot air you will still get some gains over the stock air box

Jims 86LXI HB
08-12-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by 1988_5spd_lxi
is the honda stock intake get cooler air intake that the aftermarket? beacuse the stock get air from the finder. the aftermarket get it from the motor area. some aftermarket get it from the finder but in the 3geen you have to move the battery to do that, i do not want to do that.

No. And the plumbing of the stock system is also restrictive. If you go into the fender you will see that the box that tube hooks into inside the fender only has a itty bitty hole in it, it doesn't get much of any air from the fender.

BTW, you don't have to relocate the battery to install a true CAI. Plenty of people have done one in a way that all you to is shuffle the batter to the side and their's enough room for the intake tube into the fender. If you want more info on it, use the search button and search CAI* intake (use the * sign) and sift through the various posts, it's been talked about over and over, no need to do it again, just look and read. It's worth it to get cold air vs just doing a Warm Air Intake, also called a short ram.

gruvmstr206
08-15-2003, 07:36 PM
I dont think there are many gains over cold air and short ram intake except for maybe when you are idling, but who races while idling anyways?

When you are driving the whole engine compartment is being blown by air because you are moving, so not that much hot air gets sucked in. :smokin:

Jims 86LXI HB
08-15-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by gruvmstr206
I dont think there are many gains over cold air and short ram intake except for maybe when you are idling, but who races while idling anyways?

When you are driving the whole engine compartment is being blown by air because you are moving, so not that much hot air gets sucked in. :smokin:

Even at 80mph, underhood temps are higher than air you can draw from the fender. Colder air is denser, carries more oxygen and makes more power. A true cai will out power a short ram every single time because underhood temps are always higher, the moving air factor doesn't pan out, fender air is still noticeably colder. The problem we have is that to many people by into that false myth to justify not wanting to spend the extra money over a short ram or do the extra work required.

A20A1
08-16-2003, 01:51 PM
is the honda stock intake get cooler air intake that the aftermarket?

Yes, the stock setup is colder then an after market Short Ram Intake
No, the stock setup is not colder then an after market Cold Air Intake

However any good intake will decrease the air restriction.
Metals plastics and rubbers all conduct heat at different rates so the material of the intake makes a difference... If you use metal its best to coat it first with ceramic coating.

beacuse the stock get air from the finder. the aftermarket get it from the motor area. some aftermarket get it from the finder but in the 3geen you have to move the battery to do that, i do not want to do that.

Sounds like you answered your own question... :confused:

Busted_Blue
08-16-2003, 05:45 PM
since i live around hills in SF, there is a torque factor.
Which of the three has more torque lowend. I know the stock engine has enough umph.

1988starter
08-16-2003, 06:14 PM
I don't think I felt any loss in TQ after putting on an intake.