PDA

View Full Version : Radiator help

meangreenLXi
08-12-2003, 08:03 AM
When I got to work this morning, one block before entering the parking lot I saw steam coming from under the hood by the passenger side light. Then I smelt antifreeze coolant. When I stopped the car in the parking lot. More steam was coming from under the same area. As I open the hood, I could see my antifreeze flowing from under the car. As I was late and had to go in, I didn't see any of the liquid shooting out from anywhere, but it was leaking out. I'm on lunch now and went to check out what was the problem and I still can't see anything that burst or popped open, any ideas on what this could be and how do I fix it on the spot?

'89AccordLX(Rus)
08-12-2003, 10:15 AM
On the passenger side it could be the expansion/reserve coolant reservoir. If it leaks from the bottom of the reservoir then you wouldn't see anything. Check the hoses on the right side as well (after the car cools down). Compress the hose gently and see if there is a crack or fluid pooring out. It can also be the hose that travels from the radiator top to the coolant reservoir. If that hose leaks you will see it as the car gets up to temperature and the rad. cap allows coolant to flow into the reservoir. Try topping off the radiator and then turning the car on to see where the coolant is coming from. Fixing it on the spot can be done if it just a hose. That would involve going to the nearest auto parts store and getting a replacement. Basic tools like a screwdriver and pliers for any clamps would be helpful. If it is something other than a hose and the leak isn't very bad, you could top off the radiator and drive the car watching the engine temperature. It is also good to have a container of water along with you to add water on the way if needed. Most of the time it is a hose that bursts or cracks and not a major component..

I hope you find this helpful.

meangreenLXi
08-12-2003, 10:39 AM
helpful and appreciated, :super:

SPDboy
08-12-2003, 01:30 PM
sup meangreen :)

meangreenLXi
08-12-2003, 04:22 PM
Sup, I was lookin for ya earlier, I was spelling out speed.

meangreenLXi
08-12-2003, 04:25 PM
found the hole in the hose and Auto Zone didn't have the right hose, so because the hole was close to the end of the hose where it connected to the valve, I just cut the end off about two inches and the hole was moved outta harms way, put the clamp back on, antifreezed up and away I go... I didn't bleed the antifreeze though, Ididn't have a screwdriver to get it open, my new thread will be about if it's okay not to bleed or should I bleed it. In the owners manual it says bleed it, but I didn't have the tools.

SPDboy
08-13-2003, 06:36 AM
well order that hose, chances are it is aged and fragile, lemme know if you need me to look around here locally

'89AccordLX(Rus)
08-13-2003, 07:26 AM
Glad I could help you. You should bleed the cooling system because generally if there is air in the system, your engine may run erratically, and it can cause overheating problems. Also, you may want to get a coolant tester (I think that is what they are called) and make sure that your cooling fluid is the right mix of Antifreeze and water. The fluid should also look clean, not rusty or brown.

Hope this helps.

DBMaster
08-13-2003, 08:11 AM
All you need to bleed the system is a 12mm socket and extension to open the bleed valve on the thermostat housing. In a pinch you might even be able to use a 12mm wrench. In a DIRE pinch a vice grip might do it, but then you won't be able to use the wrench on it after that!

meangreenLXi
08-13-2003, 08:43 AM
I'm confused about where the bleed is. I looked at the picture in the manual and it looked like it was pointing to a screwed in piece. I did try to bleed it and obviously it was the wrong plug because nothing ever came out. I'm gonna try to look around or even order it from the honda dealer and pick it up on lunch one of these days. If anyone has a pic of where the bleed plug is please post it so i can see which thing to open up to bleed this.

meangreenLXi
08-13-2003, 08:45 AM
yeah SPDboy, if you just happen to be in an auto parts store yeah i'd like to know, I'm gonna try to get around to getting in some places to see if they've got the hose for me, but it will be on borrowed time, but I do understand about having to get rid of the old hose and it chances of another hole poppin up in it.

DBMaster
08-13-2003, 09:51 AM
Look at the aluminum housing on the engine that the upper radiator hose is connected to. The bleed valve looks like a bolt with a tiny metal tube sticking out of it.

On my car I have never been able to get anything to come out of the bleed valve without the car running, for some reason.

KaMiKaZeE
08-13-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by DBMaster
On my car I have never been able to get anything to come out of the bleed valve without the car running, for some reason.
I don't think you are supposed to do it with the car running are you? It has always worked fine for me with the car off. You do have to be on a level surface though.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
08-13-2003, 11:16 AM
The engine has to be running when you bleed the cooling system because otherwise there is no pressure in the system to push the air out. If you try to bleed the system with the engine off, nothing will happen. When bleeding the cooling system you should be able to see coolant coming out. There should be a complete procedure somewhere on this site about bleeding your cooling system.

Here it is:

Bleeding and Flushing the Cooling System (http://members.fortunecity.com/accordex87/cooling_system_bleeding.htm)

meangreenLXi
08-13-2003, 11:26 AM
the tube looks like it's where you would put air into a tire? metal tube with a black top on it? it's on a tube that's about inch thick?

meangreenLXi
08-13-2003, 11:34 AM
a hose with a tire stem on it?

DBMaster
08-13-2003, 01:58 PM
The engine has to be running when you bleed the cooling system because otherwise there is no pressure in the system to push the air out. If you try to bleed the system with the engine off, nothing will happen. When bleeding the cooling system you should be able to see coolant coming out. There should be a complete procedure somewhere on this site about bleeding your cooling system.

Well, yes and no. I have an old style Odyssey and the bleed valve is enough lower than the top of the radiator that water pours sright out of it aas you fill the radiator. The valve on my Accord is almost at the same height so when I open the valve without the engine running, as you say, nothing happens.

meangreenLXi
08-14-2003, 04:56 AM
I found the bleed and everything went well. The owners manual would lead you to believe that the bleed is in front of the distributer, but it actually is behind the distributer. Everything worked out fine.