PDA

View Full Version : Window Trim shit

MrBen
08-12-2003, 08:26 PM
My rear window has the black trim around it, or at least it was black. Now it's flaking off and rusting in a few spots and chrome in the others. It's doing this on the sides of the car too, on the bottom trim below the windows.

My question to you... What should I do? I like the shiny chrome around the windows on the LX, but mine's a DX. Can I pop an LX trim on there from the Junkyard? What should I do about the rear window?

Neuspeed007
08-12-2003, 11:47 PM
i took a razor blade and flaked it all off, so now i havenice chrome around my black tinted windows. :hahahahahahahhahaa:

but thats what i would do

sanjay
08-13-2003, 12:33 AM
I did the same as neuspeed007. I dunno why you would bother at a junkyard unless the rust spots are really shitting you.
I don't think a few rust spots on a stock car is something to cry about - (no offence)
:rolleyes:

MattsAccord
08-13-2003, 12:43 AM
Do most people have it silver or do you guys paint it black again? If you paint it black what kind of paint do you use? thanks.

Dibbs
08-13-2003, 04:55 AM
Since your painting metal I would go with the high heat header paint from the auto parts. Get the 500 deg flat black. Just sand the metal then paint. It is of cource your choice to use primer. It just helps to gaurantee you won't have to go back and do it again later. I usually have a spray can of it laying around for such things.

MrBen
08-13-2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by sanjay
I did the same as neuspeed007. I dunno why you would bother at a junkyard unless the rust spots are really shitting you.
I don't think a few rust spots on a stock car is something to cry about - (no offence)
:rolleyes:

My car is cleaner than your car ever will be. I take care of my car and keep it in good condition.

Thanks for the good info guys. I guess I'll sand off that back window crap and repaint it. Going to be a bitch to tape around the trim though.

NXRacer
08-13-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by GhettoAccord
My car is cleaner than your car ever will be. I take care of my car and keep it in good condition.

Well aren't you the high and mighty one! :flipa: You might also be able to use that Krylon Fusion stuff on the trim.........

Dibbs
08-13-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by NXRacer
You might also be able to use that Krylon Fusion stuff on the trim.........

I've been eager to try some of that stuff. I wonder how it would work on the dash.

blazin3gen
08-13-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by GhettoAccord
My rear window has the black trim around it, or at least it was black. Now it's flaking off and rusting in a few spots and chrome in the others. It's doing this on the sides of the car too, on the bottom trim below the windows.

My question to you... What should I do? I like the shiny chrome around the windows on the LX, but mine's a DX. Can I pop an LX trim on there from the Junkyard? What should I do about the rear window?

that black crap on my lx-i is comming off its a bitch to get it all off lol i was just thinking of spraypainting it :rolleyes: :D

dXsquared
08-13-2003, 04:44 PM
across the top of the hatch, there is the same shit.. and its on the windows too.. im gonna scrape it off with a razor as well... then sand it and paint

Travis

Mike's89AccordLX
08-13-2003, 04:57 PM
Dang it.... I haven't found Krylon Fusion yet!!!!! I'm getting pissed to b/c nobody has it or has heard of it around here. Wal-Mart doesnt have it, NAPA doesn't none of the many parts stores, and even this auto paint store doesn't have it. I'm getting kinda pissed b/c I have been wanting to use that when Hostile first did his bumper and stuff. Somebody help me out, I want to get some.

danronian
08-13-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Dibbie
Since your painting metal I would go with the high heat header paint
.....I wouldn't use high heat paint. I would just go with some Walmart flat black paint after some rust control primer. I used that stuff on my Malibu's engine bay years ago and now it still looks great after many years of compounding, scratches, v8 engine heat, and wax..... Also because I have used that high heat paint w/o heat curing it in a oven as directions say and it has all flaked off, even after thorough cleaning, light sanding, and paint prep.

Dibbs
08-14-2003, 04:29 AM
Really? Never had that problem. That's probably b/c I live in Texas. The stuff I got at AutoZone needed no heat curing. Since homeboy lives in Washington, you're probably right. A regular flat black w/ a rust preventative primer would probably be the way to go. My only concern was sun-fading which is a HUGE problem down here where I live but probably not as troublesome for those living up North.

Vinny
08-14-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Mike's89AccordLX
Dang it.... I haven't found Krylon Fusion yet!!!!! I'm getting pissed to b/c nobody has it or has heard of it around here. Wal-Mart doesnt have it, NAPA doesn't none of the many parts stores, and even this auto paint store doesn't have it. I'm getting kinda pissed b/c I have been wanting to use that when Hostile first did his bumper and stuff. Somebody help me out, I want to get some.

Try hardware stores like ACE or hobby places like Michaels or hobby lobby

NXRacer
08-14-2003, 10:38 AM
Hey mike, worste case scenario is i could go down and get you a can and ship it to ya.

MattsAccord
08-14-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by NXRacer
Hey mike, worste case scenario is i could go down and get you a can and ship it to ya.
I don't think you can send flamable stuff in the mail.

dj99
08-24-2003, 01:00 PM
You can get Krylon Fusion at Sherwin Williams paint stores. They own the Krylon brand, and should have at least black and white on hand.

I just used it today to repaint the chalky plastic & metal trim all around the back window and on the top of the front windshield. Looks nice!

I also used it on the front & rear bumper moldings and the weirdly mismatched side moldings.

The only thing is it is a gloss paint. I don't have a problem with that, so all is well. It looks really nice on my dark blue sedan.

I swear it adds close to 3 Horsepower! :flash:

89accord_lxi_coupe
08-25-2003, 09:41 AM
i started at one time, taking off the trim with a razor. The bad part was, that i think i was hitting the silver and scratching it. I also stopped because, I thought if i took the black stuff off then there was a possibility of the rear window coming loose. is the silver part what is actually holding the glass in? the black part seemed like rubber. can you use something on the silver, after removing the black trim, to make it look better?