PDA

View Full Version : B20a

scorch222
08-13-2003, 06:17 AM
I am looking aat buying a 89 Accord EXI/LXI... I was wondering about the B20A.. is that fuel injected? what kind of power does it put out? and where do i get one with a 5 spd tranny because there is an automatic in the car now.
thanks
Chris

L3G10N
08-13-2003, 09:11 AM
i will tell U same thing than other told me before, search a little in the board, or just DO a search

L3G10N
08-13-2003, 09:13 AM
By the way, welcome

toastyghost
08-13-2003, 09:18 AM
I'll be nice and answer but pls from now on, SEARCH BEFORE YOU POST DAMMIT! thx :)

B20A is fuel-injected from the factory but it can be carbed.. you don't need to worry about that if you're getting an injected car to drop it in. It puts out 160hp/140tq and revs to 6500-ish I believe, not sure where the peaks are though I'm certain one of the B20A enthusiasts on here can give you those. The 5-speeds are unfortunately very rare but people have found them recently. You will need to do a 5-speed conversion on your car if you drop a 5-speed B20A in; you can find information on how to do this in the How-To section. You basically only need to worry about the parts that apply to the shifter, pedals and bracket, clutch cable, shift linkage, and axles since the mount, computer, flywheel, and tranny itself will be new for the swap.

scorch222
08-13-2003, 11:03 AM
thanks... and i already did a search and spent many hours reading the posts.

BITESIZE
08-13-2003, 01:19 PM
Welcome to the board, finally a newbie asking questions about something important.

scorch222
08-13-2003, 01:46 PM
well thanks.. i try to read as much as i can before i ask..
and hey to everyone :wave:

toastyghost
08-13-2003, 03:43 PM
I find it hard to believe you spent hours searching on this topic and couldn't come up with the little bit of stuff I just said. This has been covered again and again and again and again... Not trying to be overly critical but maybe you should refine your search techniques :lol

b20aTURBO
08-13-2003, 10:24 PM
Im Selling b20a motors check out Vega's pics

scorch222
08-14-2003, 03:37 AM
who's pics?

sanjay
08-14-2003, 03:56 AM
hahah, newbies telling n00bies where to go.. gotta love it huh?"

L3G10N
08-14-2003, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by sanjay
hahah, newbies telling n00bies where to go.. gotta love it huh?"

who are you talking about?

mykwikcoupe
08-14-2003, 07:46 AM
actualloy josh has been here long before most. Just because a person only has 100 posts doesnt make him a noob. It means he like to read not talk.

L3G10N
08-14-2003, 09:09 AM
carot know me with my first hatch88 for more than 2 years now. It's just that before, the 3geez board was useless for me because i had no problem with my car and had no mods too.

Now, i'm swapping a b20aJDM with dual weber, now i need to read a lot and I still read. I just have hundred and a half post 'cause i don't have so much time to waste here with some bitching guys. I prefer ask my question directly to Carotman 'cause he's friend of mine and i can see him almost when I want, so why waste my time on this board when i have my 3geez accord god just beside me?

These last words about bitching was not for anyone but maybe some can wear the hat.

scorch222
08-15-2003, 06:19 AM
can u guys take ur shit some wheres else and let my post be so i can find out the shit i need.:flip: :flipa:

L3G10N
08-15-2003, 09:06 AM
for sure! :super:

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
08-15-2003, 09:09 AM
Hey Kid why the interest in the B20? vtec baby!! that B20 shat Is C%ap..

scorch222
08-15-2003, 09:21 AM
intersted in the B20 because of the ease and this is my first swap if i do it... and it is cheaper

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
08-15-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by scorch222
intersted in the B20 because of the ease and this is my first swap if i do it... and it is cheaper

What is cheaper?? What's the figure on one of these swaps? I am tired of reading about how cheap this swap is..Get me a figure on this. Also ppl talking about the how much torque it has.. That thing was rated @ 119lbs.. WOW!!!!

fuzzy audio
08-15-2003, 09:46 AM
I wanna know how much it is too!

RobT5580
08-15-2003, 02:03 PM
Well you can drop a stock B20A in for as low as $1000 if you find a good deal but i always do a full rebuild which tends to cost money but you can drop it pretty much right in but thats taking a chance that everything is good. As for the torque they were rated at 140 lbs whichs is pretty high when you compare it to other honda motors. Im still glad i stuck with the B20A because it is original to the car and pretty rare considering the amount of 5spds plus in comparison to other b-series.

carotman
08-15-2003, 09:04 PM
eaactly!!!! I got my B20A for dirt cheap... even with the rebuild and performance upgrades, it will only come close to the plaecracing kit price..... but I'll have an engine that will kick any stock B18C1

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
08-15-2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by carotman
eaactly!!!! I got my B20A for dirt cheap... even with the rebuild and performance upgrades, it will only come close to the plaecracing kit price..... but I'll have an engine that will kick any stock B18C1

I think price will vary depending on how cheap u can find the engine. You got lucky , but some ppl are paying 1200 bucks for it. It would be nice to have an estimate. Users read cheap and do not know what they are really getting into. As for beating a Stock B18c1 ..Miracles can happen. Last JDM B20 ( I/H/E ) that tried doing that was 2 1/2 cars behind and it was only 1st gear.

Justanothermike
08-15-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
What is cheaper?? What's the figure on one of these swaps? I am tired of reading about how cheap this swap is..Let me a figure on this. Also ppl talking about the how much torque it has.. That thing was rated @ 119lbs.. WOW!!!!

the b20 drives a 2500lb 86 hatch to 15.25@92 mph in the 1320. i think it has a little more torque then that

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
08-15-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Justanothermike
the b20 drives a 2500lb 86 hatch to 15.25@92 mph in the 1320. i think it has a little more torque then that

Dude! i am not making that figure up. That was his dyno spec.

RobT5580
08-16-2003, 06:15 AM
Well either way you look at it the B20A would be cheaper because the mounts and stuff from PRI will still be atleast the price of a high priced B20A because with the mounts and axles your around $900. Plus you in the same position with the motor as we are so its up to the person if they want to do the timing belt, water pump, and head gasket. Plus im was not happy with PRI's mounts at all. But trust me before i bought my B20A i was going back and forth with the pros and cons so its all up to what the user wants to get out of it. Im doing a high boost turbo setup so the B20A was a very nice platform compared to a B16A. Also the B20A can be done by someone with a lower skill level compared to the B16A or whichever you will need to understand wiring diagrams and how certain parts work. The PRI instructions even had a injector ground marked wrong which would have caused a problem if it wasnt found during the wiring phase. But depending on what a person wants they need to know what they are gonna do for mods and is this gonna be what you want in the end power wise and money wise.

Coroncho80
08-16-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by carotman
but I'll have an engine that will kick any stock B18C1

Wow! :D

PS: I'm dying to see Rob's car. Hey Rob, you're going to the CT meeting, right? is it gonna be done? how many lbs are you gonna run with? what do you think its gonna be your final HP and TQ numbers??

RobT5580
08-16-2003, 02:11 PM
Right now im working on getting the body work done and all painted then im gonna start to finish up the motor. Its hard cause im trying to do the whole car inside out and its not cheap. I plan on going to the meet so hope to see you their. As far as PSI im not doing a low boost set up so im shooting in the low 20's but we will see depending on what i do for my ECU but for now im still planing on getting an Electromotive system. So we will see how things go and im hoping to pull all the body work together soon but i start school in a week and i have no idea on how much free time i will have.

scorch222
08-17-2003, 07:47 AM
just reading and thinking... would it be worth the cash to put in a B20A and then later on put a VTEC head on it? or is it even possible?

RobT5580
08-17-2003, 08:39 AM
Its possible but i dont think its worth it. Ludespeed did this some time ago and i dont think the amount of work was worth the outcome.

b20aTURBO
08-17-2003, 10:36 AM
Whaaaa Me a nOOBIE?? hahha thats funny I was one of the OG guys out here modifying my 3g long before alot of you along wiht rob justin and carot and a few others we were the og guys out there I was one of the first to swap in a b20 in my car so like mike said just cause I have 100 post dont let that fool you..now as far as the b20 goes bang for the buck you cant beat it...what swap out there can you get that can match up to the b20....it bolts up you use alot of your stock parts you get 160hp while keeping a 2.0 status the tourqe is awsome and its low budget in my mind the best swap out there and since alot of us have figured out how to get parts and what works for that motor we have made it alot easier for all you NOOBIES to do the swap so lets thank all the OG guys that started this and dont knock people you dont know

toastyghost
08-18-2003, 06:50 AM
Mike and Matt both of you shut the hell up because you're both right!! If it's a dyno spec that means at the wheels, ratings are at the fly. A 3500-lb W-body w/ 215 ft-lbs will run high 14's so I'm pretty sure the hatch Mike is referring to does have quite a bit more torque than Matt is saying. The B18C1 is a gutless piece of junk but it revs high, that's the point. I don't know that it would smoke any B20A with comparable mods that is out there though.

Coroncho80
08-18-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by toastyghost
Mike and Matt both of you shut the hell up because you're both right!! If it's a dyno spec that means at the wheels, ratings are at the fly. A 3500-lb W-body w/ 215 ft-lbs will run high 14's so I'm pretty sure the hatch Mike is referring to does have quite a bit more torque than Matt is saying. The B18C1 is a gutless piece of junk but it revs high, that's the point. I don't know that it would smoke any B20A with comparable mods that is out there though.

:: Raunch seats back, turns the light off in his office at work and waits for MATT to reply with some smart ass comment! ::

Man, this is why i haven't left this forum ........... You guys are awsome! hahahaha :lol

wickedaccord
08-18-2003, 11:40 PM
i'd like to say something.. the last time the b20 was dynoed.. i saw it at about 134whp. sorry if im wrong from my original post having been that long. but that 134whp was with I/H/E and ignition system. and if it's going to cost 1000 dollars to put it in too.. that's 200 dollars shy of the pri kit. especially for wat juan is selling it for also. last time i remembered, that b20a hatch was behind my car in first gear. i can only imagine going into my stronger gears of 2nd and 3rd. but if the b20a is going to cost 1200.. b16's here r being sold for 900 and as low as 800 sometimes complete.

as for openloops b20a in their hatch running 15.2 on cheaters.. let me see that'd be about 15.7 on regular street tires average... so that means it wouldnt even come close to my set up. even to an integra GSR with I/H/E.. it wouldnt even compare.

not to talk shit, but let the facts show and been proven. i can post my last dyno sheet of 191whp if u all want too. dont get me wrong, but there's more to a b16 than u guys think. my friends b16 del sol (might i add usdm) made 162whp with the same set up of i/h/e. an like i said, i aint talkin shit. i jus wanna prove a point. more power to u whoever completes a swap becuz it's a hard job and more props. so dont get me wrong...
PEACE

ps.. last i remember, i smoked a twin turbo 300zx with i/e

:bow: jon

Coroncho80
08-19-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by wickedaccord
ps.. last i remember, i smoked a twin turbo 300zx with i/e

:bow: jon

Ok + Ok + Ok = :wtf: did you just said?

I agree with every single word you said but your car smoking, not beating or passing, SMOKING a 300Z TT with i/e ........... The 300Z must not of being going at it all the way, because I've driven 300z TT and that bitch is fast. Your car sounds fast too, but not 300Z TT fast.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
08-19-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Coroncho80
Ok + Ok + Ok = :wtf: did you just said?

I agree with every single word you said but your car smoking, not beating or passing, SMOKING a 300Z TT with i/e ........... The 300Z must not of being going at it all the way, because I've driven 300z TT and that bitch is fast. Your car sounds fast too, but not 300Z TT fast.

actually the tt called jon out.. So he was going all the way..

toastyghost
08-19-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Coroncho80
Man, this is why i haven't left this forum ........... You guys are awsome! hahahaha :lol
No, we are mildly amusing. The tits in your avatar are AWESOME.

Where's the smart-ass comment, Matt? I must have missed it :lol

Jon, your setup owns but it's kind of apples/oranges.. you have a LOT more work done than the B20A car you're dissing.

wickedaccord
08-19-2003, 01:48 PM
man that's the thing.. ppl aint going to drive their car to wat the pro's drive it to. ive said this many many many times. ive consistantly drove my car to 14.1 to 14.3. i slapped on BFG drag tires and ran a best of 13.9. u gotta understand that jus cuz he has i/e, doesnt mean it's fast. especially when every car is different becuz depending on how the first owner even broke the motor in. ive seen stock GSR put down 145whp. but im jus saying, jus cuz it's TT doesnt mean it's invincible. i came from behind and got a car length ahead of him.

and matt is right, the guy reved me up. i was gasing up and he had the balls and stupidity to rev someone up while gasing up. now that's jus dumb as dirt! gave him wat he asked for. so im sure he was pushing it to the limits.. besides, i shifted before he did out of first gear reving to 8700rpm. dont get me wrong, im jus saying it isnt impossible to take out a 300ztt.

man im not dissing the b20a. im jus saying for wat it's worth., u might as well get a b16. a del sol being as heavy as a 3gee accord did that much hp., y not? cuz if ur going to end up paying almost as much as a b16 swap, y not have the advantage of vtec? ofcourse im not forcing anyone or talkin shit, im jus saying the overall potential in the b16 would be better.

then again, when u do a swap.. it's to go faster right???? so wouldnt u want to invest ur money correctly?? 2500 bucks.. y not spend another 300-500.. that's nothing. and ur right, i do have a lot more shit done. but b20 guy tried first.. not me. even my friends del sol took him out on a rolling.. and he gunned it before my friend from behind. but yea, ive thought about it. wat if he had the same set up as me... would he take me on???? wat do u think??

socal3rdgen
11-22-2003, 03:07 AM
what up jon,

i would like to throw in my 2 cents. I dont think you can compare the b20 with anything in this arguement. The b20 guy had a usdm ecu for the b20 instead of a modified or jdm version. Thus createing the lack of full power from the engine. what i say is b20 it if you can frankenstien it (it will work but you have to be willing to do it) or get a gsr engine and reap the aftermarket rewards. Personally the gsr engine feels the same as a b20 but without vtec. almost the same horsepower. so i guess the ? comes down too how much money is too much for VTEC. but mod for mod the b20 isnt the greatest engine to do mods too.

DarknessRS
11-22-2003, 04:25 AM
Wicked, do you have LSD?