PDA

View Full Version : damn leaks

jlaccord89lxi
08-13-2003, 07:40 AM
i just had my timing belt replaced along with the cam seal and front crank seal. Thought it was all fine till thismorning when there was a puddle of oil right below where the timing belt lower cover is. All the seals are new so i don't know what is leaking. What could have been done wrong?

dXsquared
08-13-2003, 07:58 AM
they probably didnt seat the seals right... bring it back... tell them to do it again

Travis

DBMaster
08-13-2003, 08:03 AM
Were your seals leaking before they did the belt? I was told by my Honda mechanic that they rarely leak and they don't replace them unless they are leaking. I have done my timing belt twice and never replaced them.

BTW, they told me that it is more common for the oil pump to leak.

Vinny
08-13-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by DXHATCHBACK
they probably didnt seat the seals right... bring it back... tell them to do it again

Travis

:werd: If it wasn't leaking before you brought it in then I wouldn't mess with it at all, I'd just take it in and let em fix it right

jlaccord89lxi
08-13-2003, 05:43 PM
well the good news is that everything is fixed now. The people that work on my car are my best friends dad and brother so i can't really go in there demanding anything or that would put a serious strain between me and my friend. But, it all turned out to be Honda's fault because the front crank seal that they sold me had a tiny pin hole in it that turned into a bigger hole with all the oil pushing it from behind. They replaced it and now its out in the driveway with a piece of cardboard under it to make sure its not leaking. I checked it 20 minutes after i put the cardboard there and there is not even a drop. So as long as there's nothing there in the morning, i'll be very happy because now i have a new timing belt, cam seal, crank seal, water pump, and steering rack. :)

88AccorD4Life
08-16-2003, 05:42 PM
how hard is to change the crank seal because mine is leakin from lower timing belt cover too i need to fix asap

jlaccord89lxi
08-17-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by 88AccorD4Life
how hard is to change the crank seal because mine is leakin from lower timing belt cover too i need to fix asap

its a real pain. You have to take off all the belts (including timing belt) as well as the crank pulley. Then you have to remove the lower timing belt pulley, and voila, there's the crank seal.

88AccorD4Life
08-17-2003, 10:42 AM
never mind ill let it leak for a while and someday have a mech do it for me thanks ne way

jlaccord89lxi
08-17-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by 88AccorD4Life
never mind ill let it leak for a while and someday have a mech do it for me thanks ne way

it could also be the cam seal too man. Even though it is higher up, it can leak down and make it appear like the front crank seal is leaking. Thats how mine was, my front crank seal was fine, it was my cam seal that was shot and it ended up soaking my old timing belt and dripping out at the bottom. Either way, both gaskets require a bit of work to replace. Good luck.