PDA

View Full Version : Removing Welds w/ Dremel

SteveDX89
08-13-2003, 08:41 AM
Can a dremel be used to remove welds? I'm trying to get something apart but I don't want to ruin the original metal. Should I try the dremel or just be very careful with a grinder?

NXRacer
08-13-2003, 09:45 AM
you might be able to use a dremel with a cutting wheel, although depending on how big the weld is you might use a sh*t load of cutting wheels before you get it apart. Maybe a die grinder with a more heavy duty cutting wheel would do the job.

Dibbs
08-13-2003, 10:32 AM
Grinder-yes
Dremel-NO (unless the weld is VERY small)

What are you cutting?

SteveDX89
08-13-2003, 12:57 PM
I'm trying to get my exhaust apart since the shop did it wrong. I don't trust them to fix it now. The muffler is upside down basically. I can't just flip it over because the tip would be upside down. It's got a little drain hole type thing on the bottom, I guess so water can drain out. I also have to flip the hangers. It looks to be a fairly small weld. Also, anybody know what amperage to set the welder when I reweld it? I don't want to burn a whole through the pipe.

NXRacer
08-13-2003, 01:04 PM
if its your muffler, then you're DEFFINATELY need a grinder. no question.

chriskatana
08-13-2003, 01:15 PM
I would NOT try to uninstall your exhaust and put it back on before I took it to the shop and showed them what THEY did wrong and make them fix it.

SteveDX89
08-13-2003, 01:19 PM
They'll have to do the same thing I will and they'll probably screw it up. I don't have the luxury of being able to leave my car. I'm going to take pictures of what they did and how I fix it and try to get a little bit of my money back. I was eventually gonna get new pipe with mandrel bends anyway but since they screwed it up, this is a better time.

Vinny
08-13-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by chriskatana
I would NOT try to uninstall your exhaust and put it back on before I took it to the shop and showed them what THEY did wrong and make them fix it.

:werd:

People in general seem like they are afraid to take things back and say "I paid for this and I want it done right" Guess they are non-confrontational. If you pay money for it and its not right have them make it right, if you dick with it then take it back they don't have to do anything

bigpoppa88
08-13-2003, 03:45 PM
if yur not going to take it back and have them do it, go buy a spot weld drill bit and use that ($8.00) or cut the pipe and buy a 2" sleeve connector ($3.00) and use that.......

SteveDX89
08-13-2003, 06:23 PM
I don't mind confronting them about it. I don't have the time to show them what was wrong, tell them how to fix it, and leave the car there so they can fix it. They didn't use mandrel bends anyway so that will get taken care of when I fix it. Like I said, I'm taking pics of before and after and I'll see if I can get some money back. Most of all, I've learned that I can't trust anybody to work on my car. This place screwed up my exhaust, Pep Boys screwed up an alignment (I had them redo that cause I can't).

bigpoppa, what's a spot weld drill bit and what is it used for? I can't use a 2" sleeve connector anywhere cause the pipe is 2 1/4".

2old_honda
08-13-2003, 08:46 PM
I think that you will have a hard time getting the entire hanger off of the muffler (i guess if they used a small spot weld then you might be able to do it) but what I would do is just cut the hanger off of the muffler after the weld (so the welded piece would still be attached to the muffler) and then just re weld the hanger on the muffler.

bigpoppa88
08-15-2003, 03:39 PM
spot weld drill bit is a short thick drill bit made specifically for drilling out spot welds. It has a very low profile so when you drill out a spotweld on a panel it won't drill through the adjoining sheet metal. You can get various sizes of pipe. Measure carefully!! If the outside diameter is 2 1/4 the sleeve inside diameter should be 2 1/4. I would go the other way and fit the sleeve inside.

NXRacer
08-15-2003, 03:42 PM
too bad mufflers aren't spot welded. It would pop like a mofo and be pretty much useless if the exhaust was spot welded on.......