PDA

View Full Version : building sub box

xdeathx
08-13-2003, 08:57 AM
Do you think if i trim my sub box with metal that it will affect the sound. Its just to add style and protect the edges from getting messed up:cool:

fuzzy audio
08-13-2003, 09:11 AM
Probably not. At least not noticable. The only thing that I would worry about is the trim getting loose and hearing all the vibration from it.

xdeathx
08-13-2003, 09:18 AM
yeah thats what i was thinking about. but im going to counter sink all the holes and ive already carpeted the box so i think it will work just wondering what you guys thought

87DXHatch
08-15-2003, 03:21 PM
That would be cool, but it'll be harder to work with because metal isn't as easy to shape as wood. It won't affect your sound at all.

Magny
08-21-2003, 04:54 PM
LOL first off man don't ever wrap it in metal, check some of the stereo sites about that. It has to do with something about resionance (i think thats how u spell it), or something. Research the sites first before you do this. It'll save your butt in the long run.

AccordEpicenter
08-21-2003, 05:32 PM
the metal can resonate, but if it does you probably have a poorly built box to begin with... If the box is built good then i see no problem with using metal corners.

87DXHatch
08-21-2003, 05:45 PM
If the metal corners are secured tightly to the box, there will be NO resonances, unless the box itself is resonating, which would mean it was built really poorly.

:rolleyes:

xdeathx
08-28-2003, 09:40 PM
i just used that checkered plate metal that you see on the beds of trucks and put it on the edges
it looks pretty tight

Stanger
08-28-2003, 09:52 PM
I hate to say it, but I'd use some sort of Bed liner type paint (just simply b/c of its durability)

Or just go w/ a good looking carpet.

If you want a shiny look, you could always check into some sort of Sound Absorbing Material, they make many different kinds, colors.

just my .02

87DXHatch
08-29-2003, 03:32 PM
Doing stuff to the outside of the box is almost 100% purely for looks... it does very very little for the sound, so you can do whatever you WANT to the outside of the box...

If you fancy gluing barbie doll parts to it, then by all means, go for it... just take pictures :D

And for the original poster, can you please post pics?