PDA

View Full Version : Peformance mufflers

swiftly_driven
08-13-2003, 09:52 AM
Question,

I've heard that dual mufflers actually kill the hp in 4cyl hondas without any mods to it. I have new piping with a Pilot dual exhaust on my 1988 Honda Accord. The only mods I have right now is NGK wires and plugs. It seems that this muffler is to much for my 4cyl and I lose hp. I was told that a single pipe would increase hp and give out a better flow. Is that true? I am thinking about changing to a 3A racing exhaust with a silencer cap. The muffler is a big mouth. Would my hp go up if I get the 3A racing.

holla back
:wtf:

dXsquared
08-13-2003, 09:55 AM
keep one of your mufflers, get a single 2.25 inch cat back pipe.. that will restore your horsepower and probably sound better... sell your other mullfer to pay for the new pipe

Travis

NXRacer
08-13-2003, 10:01 AM
depending on where the split for the 2 mufflers is, it may or may not screw with your power. IF the split is as far to the end as possible, it may not hurt anything. It needs some back pressure to work properly, but if the split is way back towards the end i would tend to think it wouldnt matter.

If you do notice a HP loss, then i'd suggest doing what travis said.

swiftly_driven
08-13-2003, 10:16 AM
maybe I worded the muffler thing wrong. instead of saying dual muffler. it's one muffler that is split like a wish bone. my bad

89AccordLvr
08-13-2003, 10:44 AM
that dont lose power imo because it all one piece muffler

dXsquared
08-13-2003, 10:50 AM
it does lose power cuz it has no back pressure after the muffler... to much pipe...

get a new muffler and a new 2.25 inch single pipe.. you will notice alot more low end power

Travis

wannaswapab20
08-20-2003, 08:10 PM
i cant stand seeing lil 4cylinder cars rolling around and having dual exhaust, its soo quiet and makes the cars loose power massivly.

dXsquared
08-20-2003, 08:15 PM
quiet??? the two hondas i have heard with dual mufflers were both VERY loud... one had twin Dual DTM mufflers and the other had twin bombs...

Travis