PDA

View Full Version : major damage... complete chassis???

modu03
08-13-2003, 01:55 PM
I got my hatch back really cheaply from a junk yard... it runs like new, but the rear quarter panel is... well... there is about 4 inches of bondo on it... and it's still not straight.

Also... the inner panel and shock tower have been pushed about 2.5 inches in... I stuck some spacers in a few different places and have gotten the alignment almost perfect... now it's just ugly.

anyway... I have a repair quote for about $3k and really don't want to or have the money to drop that kinda cash into my car.

what I was wondering, is... does anyone know where I might find a decent chassis, or if you have one, or know someone that has a part car with a decent chassis for me to buy...I have an 87 lxi hatch 5spd... need similar chassis... and is there any advice you could give me about transferring all my parts into a new chassis.

NXRacer
08-13-2003, 02:35 PM
that rear quarter panel is probably the hardest part to fix. You can cut it out and replace it with a new one, but its prett f-ing hard to get it right. Like you said you're best bet is to transfer, but you'll be hard pressed to find a decent chassis that doesnt have a good motor in it. Are there any that have a f-ed up front end and a good rear end? You might be able to buy it and transfer the front and and other stuff from your current car the the new one. But that would be a helluva a lot of work. It might be easier to get a new car.........

Just an idea

modu03
08-15-2003, 01:15 PM
yeah... I've though of that... I refuse to just buy another car, because this car runs better than it really should given it's age... I would say that it runs like new, so I want to keep the components...

and I probably would not have purchased a car this messed up, but it ran so well and had so much power that I couldn't pass it up... I only paid $800, so..

I do know where I can get a decent 2 door for about $200 with the engine and alot of other components already removed, but I really don't want a 2 dr I love having a hatchback.