PDA

View Full Version : hey need help

Sonic87LX-i
08-13-2003, 05:23 PM
Ok, i have a Stock 87 honda accord LX-i, i need a new Fule filter, air filter, oil filter, oil, starter, spark plugs, pcv valve, can yall tell me what brand or what the best to get for the money, thanks!

luCid89LXi
08-13-2003, 05:38 PM
the best brand that ive come across for filters isfram...or (im gonna spell this wrong) puralator air filters...as for plugs i just buy napa brand, and i have gone to get the other stuff

racerx
08-13-2003, 05:39 PM
air filter: K&N pricey, but worth it.
spark plugs: Bosch platinum +4 or accell if you want to upgrade the coil too.
oil: valvoline max life
oil filter: whatever, just don't get the cheapest one.
pcv: don't matta
fuel filter: same thing
starter: bosch

check www.nopionline.com for the best prices of the more expensive things. compare with your local parts store first though.

racerx
08-13-2003, 05:40 PM
actually, I agree with lucid89lxi, Fram is the best oil filter. My favorite. they're easy to install too.

charlesb2003
08-13-2003, 05:57 PM
air filter - whatever's cheap so u can save your money for a shortram or CAI with a K&N filter.

oil and oil filter - i used to use castrol syntec for high mileage engines and a fram filter and it was ok, but on my last oil change i switched to Mobil 1 fully synthetic 10w30 with one quart of DuraLube and a Mobil 1 filter. ran me almost $50 for everything but i actually noticed my engine ran better after.

spark plugs - i got Bosch Platinum2 and i like them, but some ppl swear by NGK/denso plugs, which is what came stock.

pcv valve and fuel filter - whatever they give you when u ask for one for your car.

starter - haven't had to change mine yet, but i'd say u can't go wrong with genuine Honda from the dealership, or at least a good rebuilt one with a lifetime warranty.

1988starter
08-13-2003, 06:19 PM
air filter: Screw a new filter make a short ram from a cheep 92 civic off ebay
spark plugs: ngk r
oil: moble 1
oil filter: pure one
pcv: what ever
fuel filter: pureulator (spelling)

JT55
08-13-2003, 07:59 PM
Guys, for the Fram oil filter, when I recently changed mine (89 Accord), I just used the lowest cost one in the pink/reddish box (Extra Guard Filter).

Would you recomend using one of their more advanced models.
Fram has four Oil Filter models. I am just a regular driver, no racing or fancy mods.

JT

Justin86
08-13-2003, 11:16 PM
A basic filter should be good for you. But if you want to spend the extra $$$ go head and do it. They all pretty much work.

NXRacer
08-14-2003, 07:30 AM
I use the K&N Oil filters on my car. It probably doesnt do anything, but i like the coolness factor...... :D

DONT use the platinum +4's. They are CRAP. NGK's are a good choice.

deadlight
08-15-2003, 12:42 AM
those platinum +4's can burn holes in your pistons, I've seen it on a Mustang. I go NGK

A20A1
08-15-2003, 01:04 AM
only way plugs would burn holes is if it's not transferring the heat properly... other then that it could be the fuel mixture.

or the plug was so far off gap or so fouled that the spark jumped between the piston and the electrode on the plug, if thats even possible. :rolleyes:

Vinny
08-15-2003, 07:59 AM
I use Bosh + 4 plugs (haven't had a problem yet in 4 diff cars)
Oil Filter- Purolator pure one or WIX
Fuel Filter- WIX
Air Filter- K&N
Oil- Castrol Syntec
PCV- Usually Fram or whatever they have

Cyric_accord
08-15-2003, 08:38 AM
Oil filter- Fram.. no problems
Spark Plugs- I use Champion Platinum, 3 years and still going strong
Air Filter- K&N
Oil- Pennzoil Synthetic High-Mileage Oil (mine
s running on 196K miles)

wprocomp
08-15-2003, 09:23 AM
i use royal purple oil 10w40...nice and pricey tho($4.50each)