PDA

View Full Version : Amp popping fuses

MrBen
08-13-2003, 07:42 PM
I got an amp off of a friend, he doesn't know what's wrong with it, but it pops fuses. The amp has 4 slots for fuses, and he said he put new fuses in and watched them all pop. I think theyre 15amps. So what should I check? It's a mono amp.

dXsquared
08-13-2003, 07:46 PM
lol.. 30 amp fuses

then if they pop.. somthing is internally wrong.. or you cant wire worth shit

Travis

MrBen
08-13-2003, 07:48 PM
Well now that I have no sub (got rid of it goddammit). Hopefully I can get the amp to work. Wire worth shit? Like how.

dXsquared
08-13-2003, 07:50 PM
ground conected to the power slot and vise versa... lol

want my JL now? or my Kenwood?

Travis

MrBen
08-13-2003, 07:52 PM
I wish.

luCid89LXi
08-13-2003, 07:52 PM
lol man youre reall trying to get people to buy those subs huh...
dont you have friends and shit that needa hook up?
i mean if i didnt have to deal with the distance and shit id take them off ur hands

...thats my story im sticking to it

dXsquared
08-13-2003, 07:55 PM
lemme know what your interested in and ill get you a shipping cost.. wont be too high

Travis

A Dawg Jr
08-13-2003, 09:13 PM
80241 <---------------------- Zip code

I'm still interested in the kenwood maybe lol. Need some $$$$

It'll be a week though I get paint next week

MrBen
08-13-2003, 09:15 PM
Thread hijacker!!!

:flip:

dXsquared
08-13-2003, 09:18 PM
hahaha

85 shipped for A Dawg.. your pretty far.. if im gonna ship all that way, you might as well get the sub, box and amp...

225 shipped

Travis

A Dawg Jr
08-13-2003, 09:27 PM
ahhhh, 225. I would if I had the money... how hard does that hit??? It is it an actuall hit! or smooth bass?

dXsquared
08-13-2003, 09:57 PM
it hits HARD! for a small amp, it actually pumps out the bass really good.... its putting out 200 watts RMS... thats quite a bit when you think about it... and the sub is in a sweet little box... and it depends on the music your listening to.. if its rock, it will punch... if its rap/hop hop. it just shakes the car....

playing a bass test... i could make a penny jump 3/4 inch of the roof...

Travis

meangreenLXi
08-14-2003, 05:06 AM
The amp is receiving feedback from somewhere, I had the same problem and I had the insurance on the thing, I took it back to the dealer and he tried to fix it for about 10 mins and then he said I'm gonna give you a new one. It was a Bazooka 300w and as I was lookin round the store while he reinstalled the amp I saw the same one in the discount display case. I'm thinking it's a common problem for those types of amps and probably it's just a low quality amp. I'm gonna get a Alpine amp when this one blows and I tried to blow it :stick: , but it's still pumpin.

MrBen
08-14-2003, 11:16 AM
Yeah this is a bazooka el1500

I dunno, if worse comes to worse I'll run over it a few times.

dXsquared
08-14-2003, 11:19 AM
oh! the EL 1500! lol

thats the worst built but really powerful amp ever made.. you see tons of them on EBAY as NON functioning... you should have told me!

yah.. if the 30 amp fuses dont cure it, and i doubt it will.. its time for a new amp

Travis

POS carb
08-14-2003, 02:07 PM
let me start with I have a Mobile ES amp that runs in high voltage/high current modes so I was able to see this
My radio fried my amps, I didn't know it at the time, but basically whenever the amp would turn on the protection would kick on, no blowing fuses, no speakers connected, etc. After switching to high current I noticed all the lights dim and both 40 amp fuses blew, it turned out the transistors were shot and they were shorting themselves out to the heatsink. Maybe your speaker terminals are touching the metal a bit, try running the amp with no speaker wires connected to it, also try and isolate the metal of the amp from the metal of the car for these tests (no hold down screws that go to the metal of the car either)

Vinny
08-14-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by POS carb
let me start with I have a Mobile ES amp that runs in high voltage/high current modes so I was able to see this
My radio fried my amps, I didn't know it at the time, but basically whenever the amp would turn on the protection would kick on, no blowing fuses, no speakers connected, etc. After switching to high current I noticed all the lights dim and both 40 amp fuses blew, it turned out the transistors were shot and they were shorting themselves out to the heatsink. Maybe your speaker terminals are touching the metal a bit, try running the amp with no speaker wires connected to it, also try and isolate the metal of the amp from the metal of the car for these tests (no hold down screws that go to the metal of the car either)

Sounds like my ppi a600 and a a404 setup, was fine down low but when turned up it when the bass would hit really hard the amp just went off, no fuse no nothing, just died. Went through 3 amps before ppi sent me a new model and suggested using a 1 farad cap

87DXHatch
08-15-2003, 03:16 PM
Do NOT NOT NOT use 30 amp fuses if it has 15 amp stock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NONONONONONONONONONO!!!

You are just ASKING for a fire. Never upgrade fuses to higher ratings than the amp has stock, unless you have a very good knowledge of electronics and have otherwise modded the amp so that it can produce more power than stock.

Usually, when amps blow fuses when they're connected to power/ground without being turned on, it means that the amp is done for. This happened to me out of nowhere once on a Monitor-1 mk4.70 amp I had, it would just blow it's 30 amp fuse everytime I replaced it. It was essentially blown. You can try doing what was suggested in here, but I'd put money on that amp being shot.

AccordEpicenter
08-22-2003, 10:45 PM
yea you can start fires easily in car audio amps... never exceed fuse ratings. I bet the amp has a shorted power supply (common in some amps) or possibly shorted discrete output devices (transistors or fets.... whatever). One kid i know ran an earthquake phd2 to 1 ohm (its only stable to 2 ohm supposedly for 2kwrms) and got nearly 3kwrms out of it, but a few weeks of that and it stopped working, so he took of the cover and about 20 devices were either completely burned unrecognizeable or charred off the board, and if youve seen the amps board, it doesnt have as many devices mounted on it as say, an Audiobahn 2400w amp (those audiobahn amps break too)

MrBen
08-23-2003, 10:06 PM
Yeah I've opened up the amp and nothing looks fried. Shorted out power supply? How easy is that to fix? Keep in mind, I couldn't care less about this amp... I got it for free... so any pointers would be good lol.

AccordEpicenter
08-24-2003, 03:22 PM
id say youd need a schematic, unless you cant find anything obviously fried...