PDA

View Full Version : msd ignitions?

Lockey
06-14-2002, 02:38 AM
what exactley does it do...

i know they give a higher spark to all cyls
and im picking the components are High performance(leads etc)

but does it do anything else?

and is it worth the money... or is a fuel mapper a better investment?

:huh:

OldSchoolSwap
06-14-2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Lockey
what exactley does it do...

i know they give a higher spark to all cyls
and im picking the components are High performance(leads etc)

but does it do anything else?

and is it worth the money... or is a fuel mapper a better investment?

:huh:
Well it gives you a better combustion, better idle, better fuel MPG and gives you a bit torque and HP.

But if your fuel mapper has to do with reprograming your computer, then do the computer first. I think that'll give you a better bang for the buck.

OldSchoolSwap
06-14-2002, 10:47 AM
Oh and an MSD will come in critical if you have Nitrous or Turbo. If you are Natural aspirated, a performance coil should do a good job for alot cheaper.

CARBurn
06-15-2002, 09:57 PM
I like my MSD 6 AL. Provides good power throught out the RPM
range.

Lockey
06-18-2002, 12:17 AM
basically im gonna TRY and get nos but i am following the checklist put forth to me and slowly doing the basic upgrades

pod, headers, 2.25 exhaust..larger tip
then power n plugs
and fuel system

i can either try and get fuel mapper and high flow rail and pump

or get all elctrics done

and do those engine capacitors work? i can get one of those cheap supplies 11-16 volts solid

A20A1
06-18-2002, 01:32 AM
You really don't need a larger tip since the exhaust gas cools as it flows thru the pipe... maybe a 3" polished tip to cover the 2.25" pipe, just for appearance sake. you really don't need a Cat, Resornator, or muffler either. Since most of it is for emissions and noise control.
I was looking for a nice long polished tip so I could lop off my muffler temporarily and just run a straight pipe. Then I would just reconnect the muffler with a larger pipe and clamp it back onto the exhaust.

LOL you call it an air pod... K&N is the most common performance/replacement filter.

Ask 88turboaccord about adjustable fuel pressure regulators and other efi parts he may have made...

and what do you mean about engine capacitors??? like NOLOGY wires

Lockey
06-18-2002, 03:42 PM
HEHE Yeah kiwi lingo i spose over here we have all the jap pods as well like apexi hks and so forth...but k&n has 1,000,000 mile warranty :)

the product is a jacobson accuvolt..
i think basically its a 50 amp capacitor that you run inline with your power leads and you can dial in the required voltage(up to 16 volts) ...and it stays at that

rallyeNate
06-18-2002, 07:57 PM
careful with running a feul mapper. your car is most like tuned to run at 15.5:1 (most ecno), the most you could do is tune it tune 12:1 (most preformance). after 12:1 you are doing nothing but wasting gas. if you want to know what 12:1 will feel like disconnet your O2 sensors and your check engine light will come on. when the check engine light is on, the ecu runs the car rich to ensure that there will be no knocks.

Lockey
06-18-2002, 09:12 PM
I was thinking of basically getting one to get it tuned up and for if/when i get nitrous or bigger cams etc... i can tell the injectors to stay open longer and give some me some more gas :super:

i may consider a full ecu controller if i go ahead with the major mods but at this stage im doing all the small things like intake etc

im also doing my stereo so its a case of ten things on the go and nothing finished :stupid:

oh well

P.S will i need to get better pistons and rebuild engine for N2O?

or if i pass compression tests leave it at that?