PDA

View Full Version : PROJECT , TURBO ( Accordtheory )

Accordtheory
08-14-2003, 11:14 AM
I just want to share some of what I have learned and done with my 87 lxi hatchback project car. I decided to turbocharge this car about a year ago, and progress has been extremely slow, for a variety of reasons, including lack of motivation, money, connections, and a complete lack of aftermarket parts for this car. I had to make almost all of the parts myself, and I don't really have the tools to be doing this. Here is the basic setup. The turbo is a mitsubishi "big 16g" that I bought from MVP Motorsports last summer. The turbo manifold is all me, constructed out of 1/1/2" mild steel weld L's. The runners are 12/3/4" long, and the turbo sits off to the passenger side of the engine bay, more in front of the transaxle than the engine. By the way, this was a total pain in the ass to set up, the accord engine bay has no clearance and I had to modify everything from the power steering line to the a/c lines to getting a thinner cooling fan to make this fit. Also, this manifold generates an incredible amount of heat, and despite wrapping everything I could think of with heat reflective tape, it still managed to melt some insulation and do some other minor damage. Right now, the car doesn't even have its hood. I will probably take the manifold off, and wrap it with header wrap, because it just adds way too much heat to my engine bay. The downpipe is a very non restrictive 3" diameter, as is the entire exhaust system. (The air conditioning still works, by the way) The air filter is in the fenderwell, and since the intake tube goes where the battery used to be, the battery now sits in the back, next to my sub box. Right now, there is no intercooler, so I just used 2/1/2" exhaust tubing for the charge air pipe to the throttle body. The oil lines were also a challenge, try buyinga fitting that connects to this turbo. I had to make this fitting out of a fuel line fitting, and then had a shop make me the AN lines. Obviously, I also had to remove the oil pan and weld in a fitting for the oil drain line. The intake manifold is a modified 88/89 2 stage unit. The runners have been enlarged almost 1/4/" in the transition area after the butterfly valves, and 4 450cc injectors from a first gen turbo eclipse were added to the bottom of the manifold. Since the runners are not straight, each injector is at a different location/angle, necessitating individual fuel lines. I couln't find a shop to do this, so I did all of this myself. The injectors are controlled by a supplemental injector controller from 034 efi. This unit is very inexpensive and highly functional, programmable via windows. Just don't hook up the rpm trigger wire to the coil, this is how I destroyed the first controller! The intake manifold is controlled by an msd rpm activated switch, set to open the butterfly valves at 3900 rpm. When I sarted driving and tuning this car, I made several stupid mistakes, which basically cost me my engine. (The egt gauge reacts way to slowly to be worth shit, and the factory oxygen sensor is only good to tell you rich, stoich, or lean, but not by how much) I had a problem with the injector controller because of the rpm wire, which resulted in it going lean under boost to the point of making the engine backfire(!!!) and I did not start out with retarded ignition timing, so I got some detonation... Now I have 3 cylinders around 150psi compression, and #4 is at 90... The engine blows a cloud of smoke out of the crankcase breather vent under boost. By the way, with a turbo engine, it is very important that the engine does not inhale blow by gasses under boost, as this severely lowers the octane of what is in your cylinders, and invites detonation. Anyway, here's what you guys really want to know, how much power does it have? I have no idea, but if you roll away from a stoplight like normal, and then press on the accelerator aggressively, the boost comes on slightly below 3k rpm, with about 8 psi by maybe 3400. The tires both break loose with 5 psi, and the boost goes up to 8 or 9, so I have to manipulate the throttle to keep the engine off the limiter. This traction problem is very violent, and I am worried about breaking my motor mounts, or something else. When I drop the shifter into 2nd, the tires keep spinning for maybe another 10 feet, before the car gets enough traction to make the piece of shit clutch slip. It's funny to do this shit in front of a typical modified civic or integra. So what's next? Forged internals, better rings, a better clutch, closed loop detonation control, a better fuel pump, an air/liquid intercooler, and of course 20+ psi. (The factory wastegate is set at 15, but I have modified it to allow lower boost pressures for now) As far as I know, there is only one other person (Justin) who has built a turbo accord on this list. To you I ask, how did you get your pistons and rods, and what is the stock rod length on this engine? I would like to use Wiseco pistons, Total Seal rings, and Eagle rods. (?) Also, what type of clutch are you using? I am thinking about a Clutchmasters stage 3. As far as the closed loop detonation control, you know I am talking about the J&S safeguard. This unit is awesome, with individual cylinder knock control, TPS and MAP connections to solve boost related problems, and its monitor is compatible with the Bosch lsm-11 wideband 02 sensor. Are you using this thing? I will be for sure!
Peace, and see you guys on the streets!

88LXi68
08-14-2003, 11:23 AM
sounds mean... how about some pics?

NXRacer
08-14-2003, 11:29 AM
DUDE, talk to Sean about your engine management. He's been in development for a while. He might be able to help ya.

:bow: MAD props to ya for this project. It sounds like you've spent an INSANE amount of time working on that project. :bow:

keep up the good work. And ditto on the pictures.

shepherd79
08-14-2003, 01:04 PM
good job.
i think you should get forged pictons next so the engine can hold the boost you have now with no problem.
yeah, talk to Sean, and he will hook you up with nice boost friendly ECU.

bobafett
08-14-2003, 04:49 PM
i like the sound of those traction problems!

whats the total cost that u have sunk into this project? i am about to start buying parts for my turbo setup. i am planning on a .42/.48 turbo off of sunbird or turbo chrysler, with a Tyrus FMIC and seans ecm setup for engine management. but i havent bought any of it yet. i want to have a 100% concrete plan before i spend a cent. :)

AccordEpicenter
08-15-2003, 04:34 PM
if youre still running on 3 cyls i bet you blew your headgasket... they tend to go if you run high boost.

Sean
08-16-2003, 08:59 AM
funny i was out yesterday running 15 psi and my head gasket is fine ?

AccordEpicenter
08-16-2003, 12:58 PM
Wait isnt he using a built bottom end or is he planning on building one? Ive heard of a bunch of guys that had the head off like a few times and used the same head bolts and just kept blowing hg's, I guess it could be a problem if the bolts arent that fresh

gr3k0sLaV
08-17-2003, 06:13 AM
this sounds full sik man

Sean
08-17-2003, 07:16 PM
if you had better control of the ingition system like i do then you wouldnt be having trouble with headgaskets. also swapping to studs can make a diference but its negliable unless your running like 18 or more psi. then you run into the head lifting off the block. as for the ECM setups im gonna offer a few different flavors here pretty soon. ill make an annoucment in the very near future.

Justin86
08-19-2003, 12:15 AM
Turbos are fun. That is a freaking huge ass write up. Get some pics up soon. I want to see your exhaust manifold.

AccordEpicenter
08-20-2003, 08:26 PM
damn... how fast is this car anyways? Hes probably in the high 13s low 14s? Son you need slix

Accordtheory
02-27-2004, 11:16 PM
Yeah, I know no one is going to read this unless they are referred here, but here are some recent updates to my turbosystem. First, I, with the help of a couple friends, pulled my old engine out of my accord, and then disassembled the short block. The piston looked as I had imagined, with still intact upper ring breaking its land and pushing the pieces down into the 2nd ring, breaking it as well. I installed a used shortblock supposedly from an 86 dx (engine code BS) and also the J&S Safeguard knock control unit, in hopes of not having to replace any more pistons anytime soon. Also, apparently my car had some freak nonstock clutch and transmission. My old flywheel weighed like 5lbs more than the flywheel I got with my new engine, and the tranny had a different spline count for the driveaxles. I could never find driveaxles for my old tranny,and I tried everything I could think of. So now my car has another engine, trans, clutch, flywheel, driveaxles, and the J&S unit. However, I don't know what is up with this shortblock, because it has unusually low oil press, (as low as 40psi at 70mph) even with 20w50. The other shortblock had more press with 10w30. I used my old pickup tube, pump, oil control nozzle, and oil filter housing. The only difference is the shortblock itself. The J&S is a very cool unit, if it is functioning properly. I can not get mine to do that. I have the symptoms explained under my post "11 psi on the stock fuel pump". Also, my car now sits much lower, and this helped my traction problems considerably. It used to squat like a big american car with a powerful V8, now it is much more flat, even though it still completely overpowers the tires in 1st. When I had my system apart, I wrapped my header in exhaust wrap, which cause it to warp slightly. This was an incredible pain in the ass to fix. I had to take it off, weld up the surface of the flanges, and then cut them down until they were perfectly flat. I did this BY HAND. I used permatex "high temp ultra copper" sealant and it seals perfectly, even with one broken stud. What I plan on doing next is:
1)Fix the J&S problem
2) Upgrade the fuel pump
3)I need new struts, spings, and 17s sooo badly
4)Turn the boost up (Preferably with the aid of a chassis dyno and their wideband 02 sensor, which is something I have yet to use and desperately need) until the clutch starts slipping
5)Custom clutch, possibly adapt integra flywheel/pressure plate with custom disc made to fit on the smaller accord input shaft, then turn it up a little more
6) Air/liquid intercooler using my A/C condenser as the heat exchanger and the windshield washer fluid container as the reservior. Now I should be able to turn it up even more, maybe to as much as 15 psi..? I don't know, I will see how much power I am generating at a given boost level, and once I reach maybe 230whp, I will probably buy one of sean's built shortblocks, and then turn it up until I start reaching the point of diminishing returns, possibly around 22 psi... I have said before my goal is 340whp, and I am going to try hard to get it.
7) If I haven't achieved my goal yet, no surprise, a certain intake manifold will be my next step. I am not going to say what it is, but it appears to be made more for forced induction that its competitors (larger plenum) and it also a very good price, slightly more than half the price of the old manifold I wanted, the skunk2 B18A/B B20 manifold.
8)Next up: Port out the cylinder head, after I read more about fluid dynamics, etc
9) Different cam
10) Still haven't achieved my goal?? I guess its time for a turbo and header upgrade. I know I won't want to make another header, because I put so much effort into the one I have. This upgrade will take my hp way over the top, into the 500 level...

Accordtheory
05-18-2004, 01:22 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid117/p8276af1826b1d2cd10447f4aaae862b3/f89fc873.jpg.orig.jpg

SteveDX89
05-18-2004, 01:35 PM
Damn, I wonder if that pic can get any bigger. Looks like it's coming along. Keep it up.

Bloodlust
05-18-2004, 01:41 PM
Pic doesnt work. All i see is imagestation.

EDIT

Maybe this will work.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid117/p8276af1826b1d2cd10447f4aaae862b3/f89fc873.jpg

Bloodlust
05-18-2004, 01:43 PM
Btw looks nice.

buzzbomber88lx
05-18-2004, 01:57 PM
that looks great man.....looks like you've done a lot of work!

86LXItooFAST4me
05-18-2004, 02:09 PM
i give it a 10, a F*$#ing 10!

od2681
05-18-2004, 02:28 PM
i cant see anything...im blindedded

adams86lxi
05-18-2004, 02:33 PM
man!!!! good work!!!!

speedpenguin
05-18-2004, 02:36 PM
brilliant!
that is SICK

Justin86
05-18-2004, 02:38 PM
Oh yea I can see a lot of progress... :bs: :redx:

oh yea now it works. that mani looks sick, YO!!! :D

Robs89LXi
05-18-2004, 02:41 PM
Very nice. Tell me more about the exhaust manifold (who built it, material, weight, how supported?). Also, what did you do with your radiator?

cvergi01
05-18-2004, 04:03 PM
:D looks good, i like the blue manifold...looks purdy

cahil_1
05-18-2004, 05:31 PM
give us more info dude that setup is tight /\ gave me a ragin!
||
||
||
OO

cahil_1
05-18-2004, 05:32 PM
/\ give us more info dude that setup is tight gave me a ragin!
||
||
||
OO

Cheeseburger
05-18-2004, 06:49 PM
holy shit that shit is tigth man, what part of cali you live in man may be you can come to the meet
heres the link
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=33248

Robs89LXi
05-18-2004, 07:02 PM
:welcome: Go to my other thread, http://3geez.asmallorange.com/showthread.php?t=34099, and post your progress.

AccordEpicenter
05-18-2004, 07:40 PM
what is the setup? What turbo/how much boost are you running? Is that an AEBS B16 intake mani? I like your turbo mani. All you need now is an FMIC

Justin86
05-18-2004, 07:50 PM
yea thats the AEBS mani I'm going to get one here pretty soon. They putry! :)

Accordtheory
05-18-2004, 10:42 PM
That AEBS manifold was a pain in the ass to fit too. I probably spent about 5 hours cutting up my cylinder head with a die grinder to match the ports on that manifold. I am curious to see how much of a difference it will make. (the 88/89 2 stage is junk) I am also wondering about how effective that ceramic coating will be on my header. As far as the FMIC, no, I want either air to liquid or I am going to use water/methanol injection, provided I can make it 100% "failsafe". Right now I am waiting on Seans' ecm, (another thing I am very curious about!) and for my distributor to get to him. I haven't figured out what I am going to do yet as far as my radiator goes. By the way, for those who don't know, I built the entire turbosystem myself, and have been rolling with boost for a while

od2681
05-18-2004, 10:48 PM
man i want to see the pics..i cant see..some one email me
[email protected]

Busted_Blue
05-19-2004, 03:01 AM
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

AccordEpicenter
05-19-2004, 05:35 AM
What turbo/how much boost are you running?
:deal:

Robs89LXi
05-23-2004, 10:33 PM
Very nice. Tell me more about the exhaust manifold (who built it, material, weight, how supported?). Also, what did you do with your radiator?
:deal:
Well?

Accordtheory
05-24-2004, 03:23 PM
For those who may want to read more on my setup, or what my setup was anyway, I have a thread under the project central section called "my turbosystem so far". I haven't updated that recently, and I have learned a lot since then, but there is still a lot of good info there. My stupid engine fire prematurely compelled me to do a bunch of upgrades, and my J&S system never worked properly, so I decided to get Sean's ecm. That and the AEBS manifold are my biggest changes. By the way, Robs89lxi, I do not recommend making a turbo header the same way I did. Although my header can support more power than I will ever create and will accomodate A/C and power steering, I built it out of mild steel weld L's and it added a lot of heat to my engine bay. Wrapping it hardly did anything, other than making it warp. Hopefully the ceramic coating will reduce both the skin temp (it is on the inside too) and the transmitted heat much better than the wrap. If I am happy with it, I will say. The way I would build a header now would minimize the heat problem from the start. I would use 16 guage 321 stainless, with much shorter runners, (less area=less transmitted heat) and if I didn't think that it would be able to support the mass of the turbo adequately, I would build a support that wouldn't fight the thermal expansion and contraction of the header. Stainless has a lower coefficient of thermal conductivity but a higher coefficient of thermal expansion than mild steel, and you need to factor this into the design. If you want more info on header design, the burns stainless site is good.

Sean
05-24-2004, 04:07 PM
ahh yong grasshopper i see you have learned much since our last phone conversation. very very good. now you see why we build our headers out of 321 stianless.

Robs89LXi
05-24-2004, 05:25 PM
Is that what you use Sean, 16ga? Thanks for the detailed info, that was very usefull, and I will certainly take it into account. By the way, how do you plan to coat the inside with ceramic coating?

Accordtheory
05-24-2004, 05:31 PM
I was thinking about building one out of 304 thickwall (you can but the L's online from jgstools.com for like $6 each) but I decided not to because of the thermal expansion problem... The thickwall tubing wouldn't be able to flex like the 16 guage under thermal expansion. Also, I wouldn't build a thinwall turbo header out of 304, only 321 or 347 (but 347 is almost impossible to find). What I learned about header construction is that I took the opposite approach to what works best as far as the flange and tube design. Instead of using separate flanges for each port and thickwall tubing (I was worried about warpage across the flange) what I should have done is use one thick flange and thinwall tubing. The flange wouldn't get hot enough to warp and the force of the thinwall tubing's expansion would not be sufficient to distort the thick flange. And to sum this up, supposedly mild steel has 219% more thermal conductivity than stainless... And yeah, I have learned much, and it would be cool to have a new stainless header, but as if that wouldn't be enough of a pain to make, I would also have to make a new charge pipe, oil drain line, air intake tube, coolant lines, and downpipe, so if that ceramic coating works, I will be very happy

Robs89LXi
05-24-2004, 05:46 PM
You said you plan to coat the insides, how do you do that?

Accordtheory
05-24-2004, 05:59 PM
I dropped it off at a place called American Industrial Coatings in Sacramento and they charged me $120 to coat the whole thing. Cleaning it up before applying the coating is the most time consuming thing, according to them. (Well I guess not on a new header, but mine is already a year old) They sandblasted it, chemically cleaned it, baked it in an oven, coated it, baked it again, and left a message on my phone saying that it was done about a week later.

Robs89LXi
05-24-2004, 06:04 PM
Wow, if it is a good quality job (and it sounds like they do good work), that does not sound like a bad price. I'll have to check locally when I finally construct mine. Did you get a choice of colors (blue maybe :lol: )?

wprocomp
05-24-2004, 06:43 PM
thats cool man...nice to see another turbo car on the board,but I dont really like that mainfold,it looks like it creates to many problems for clearence,and be carefull around that wiring I would hate to see that car catch on fire agian...wrap it up with that header wrap that you were using

AccordEpicenter
05-24-2004, 06:51 PM
so accordtheory, you gained a power increase by going to seans ecu setup?

johnwc723
05-30-2004, 10:38 PM
thats really cool lookin, the exaust manifold look craaazy give us some WHP readings sometime

Accordtheory
05-31-2004, 11:15 AM
I'm still waiting on Sean's ecm, hopefully my car will be up and running soon, so I can begin tuning. Once I do, then I will throw out some numbers, but probably not from a chassis dyno. I will probably buy a GTech Pro accelerometer, and keep the testing in the real world.

AccordEpicenter
06-03-2004, 06:06 PM
tune with a wideband ;P

smufguy
06-03-2004, 06:45 PM
interesting manifold set up. I think i have seen urs before on Ebay or something cause i have a pic of it on my desktop saved a long long long time back. Anyway, how is the spool up time and what kinda turbo u said it was? Lemme go read ur thread in the project central before i keep on going. ;)

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=22227

nismoracer99
07-16-2004, 01:30 PM
this is some good stuff im reading!

im gonna make sure i stay tuned in here, cause im going to turbo my accord too.

Justin86
07-19-2004, 08:28 AM
The skunk 2 intake is pretty good, but cost way too much same with the eldelbrock. Get the AEBS manifold, it is just a good but half the price. ;)

AccordEpicenter
07-19-2004, 12:32 PM
the edelbrock intake mani simply pwn3s everything

Justin86
07-20-2004, 09:58 AM
But is it worth $300...........? I'd rather get the AEBS. ;)

Accordtheory
07-20-2004, 01:10 PM
didn't you guys see my pic? I already have the aebs manifold. The runners are too short on the edelbrock, the aebs is the best compromise in my opinion, especially when you consider the price... Right now I am still waiting on sean's ecm and I need to get one of those flx-125 fans for my civic radiator so I can finish with that shit. I am also developing an h2o/alcohol injection system that will be programmable using my old supplemental injector controller. It should beat anything on the market under $1K, if it works as I am hoping... I finally got some 17s (it's about fucking time!) I also need to get a wideband 02 and the xtronics eprom emulator for seans ecm setup. With my new combination (seans ecm + 450cc injectors+ walbro pump+aebs manifold+ported head+H20 injection+ more boost) my clutch will certainly live a short tortured life. I guess I need to call that guy back from RPS

AccordEpicenter
07-20-2004, 04:33 PM
sounds good... Yea that edelbrock one is pretty much full race. For less than half the price, the aebs one is a hell of a deal. How much boost are you gonna run now and what clutch do you have? Son you need to hit up the track for some 1/4 times with that shit

Justin86
07-21-2004, 08:36 PM
oh now I remember you have that crazy turbo manifold. Get some new pics with the wheels at what not, we love updates. :D

Accordtheory
07-22-2004, 01:16 PM
I'll throw some pics up after my ecm gets here from sean and after I finish installing my civic radiator/fan. Hopefully that won't be too much longer

DLB
07-23-2004, 10:33 AM
:rockon: Wow that turbo setup sounds awesome!! Keep up the good work.

Accordtheory
07-28-2004, 03:43 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid131/pd6546920530e718b2cb2ff966b73e4e6/f7a84bd9.jpg.orig.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid131/peb4834cad642ee656604319c21d6066b/f7a84bd7.jpg.orig.jpg
Here is a picture of my civic radiator. This was kind of a pain to fit, as the civic radiator is taller than the stock unit, and I had to make custom mounts for it, and cut out the top piece a little. I also made the little aluminum mounts for the fan to connect to the radiator. I also had to make the thing for the coolant sensor to screw into, as the civic radiator does not have a provision for this. So now I have room to route charge air piping for a FMIC, etc.

k-roy
07-28-2004, 03:49 PM
Pics are not working man.
E-mail them to me and I can host them for you.

88accordhb
07-28-2004, 04:08 PM
looks good, civic radiators are soo much more convenient and small. hehe

Robs89LXi
07-28-2004, 04:47 PM
No pics.

88accordhb
07-28-2004, 05:03 PM
right click on image, go to properties, copy url, paste

Robs89LXi
07-28-2004, 06:07 PM
Got 'em. Thanks. So Accordtheory, how has it been doing do far? I've thought about it as well, but worry about not enough capacity for the heat we face down here in Texas. Let us know how it does.
PS Got any more pics of your manifold? I'd sure like to see some.
Thanks.

DeathRat
07-28-2004, 06:14 PM
http://www.pureperformancefever.com/forum/images/smiles/needpics.gif

Scorpion88LX
07-28-2004, 06:33 PM
nice work

zero.counter
07-28-2004, 06:40 PM
Nice radiator! :D

Yeah right
http://www.digitalend.com/pics/can%27tsee.jpg

accordlxi2.0
07-28-2004, 06:55 PM
i see it, ummm sorry 2 sound like a dumbass but why use a civic radiator, unless ya have a turbo so big, . . .

keruhas184
07-28-2004, 07:56 PM
here they are :D

http://keruh.com/3gz/civicrad1.jpg

http://keruh.com/3gz/civicrad2.jpg

HondaBoy
07-28-2004, 08:16 PM
and someone didnt read his vehicle description? turbo 87 lxi hatch. hopefully its a nice light weight, nice high flow one. more pix would be great ya know! we'd like to see more.

AccordAddict
07-29-2004, 09:30 AM
thats kick ass

PhydeauX
07-29-2004, 01:55 PM
That looks like a stock one. If thats a daily driver or driven to/from the track I'd think about swapping that for an aftermarket aluminum one. Heck, I'm using a stock civic rad as the rad for my air water ic.

andy

AccordEpicenter
07-29-2004, 02:21 PM
hope you dont overheat with that thing

Justin86
07-30-2004, 09:34 AM
I though you were getting an aluminum radiator, that seems like a down grade from our stock one..........

Accordtheory
07-30-2004, 04:09 PM
It has less surface area than the stock one, but it has a thicker core made of aluminum. Also, it doesn't have the a/c condenser in front of it and I have the flex a lite fan. I have heard of people using these to cool H22's swapped into civics, so I think it probably will be okay. If it isn't, whatever, I will let you guys know

Robs89LXi
07-30-2004, 05:31 PM
Man, I'd really like to see some pics of that manifold. Got any to share? PM me if need be.
Thanks.

Accordtheory
07-30-2004, 05:46 PM
I don't recommend building a manifold/header like mine. I wouldn't do it like that again. 1 thick flange on the head, and thin short runners out of 321 stainless is the way to go. That's how I'm going to do it on my twin turbo NSX yeah I know I live in dreamland

Robs89LXi
07-30-2004, 06:02 PM
Yeah, I saw one of your previous posts about the trouble you had. Still, I'd like to see some pics, as I am pretty sure that I can pull it off with the proper bracing and materials. Send me some pics if you can so I can get an idea of how it would look. The more angles the better.
Thanks.

Accordtheory
08-05-2004, 10:30 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid75/p28b31f24681db89c8d9524de22c3fa5f/fb58ea7e.jpg.orig.jpg http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid133/pfdd763381b2275e59b9b93174e09e5a5/f78d21cd.jpg.orig.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid133/pe1d51facf48c0b2f5a2339909566c44d/f78d21c4.jpg.orig.jpg http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid133/pe68d4f0f54d6e82ec26ff19d0b2a145c/f78d21c9.jpg.orig.jpg http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid133/p71c01128c7cba0dceafb70b36060b229/f78d21c7.jpg.orig.jpg http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid131/pd6546920530e718b2cb2ff966b73e4e6/f7a84bd9.jpg.orig.jpg

The supplemental injector in the charge air pipe is NOT for fuel, by the way.
EVERYTHING in these pics was fabricated by me. I am still waiting on an ecm setup from Sean, then I will start driving and tuning the car. Also, I built this without having a steady job (credit cards) and I'm only 22, ha ha! And oh yeah, the battery container in this picture looks kinda ghetto, but trust me, it is 100% legit now, and that cerwin vega in the box I built out of mdf and epoxy (computer designed dimensions and port length/diameter) hits fucking hard, with rattleage minimized by structurally reinforcing the sheetmetal that holds the taillights
Any questions?

wprocomp
08-05-2004, 10:31 AM
cant see anything man

Accordtheory
08-05-2004, 10:32 AM
weird, the pics worked when I hit preview post, but then not when I clicked on the actual thread, but then I clicked the thread again and they worked..WTF?

Coroncho80
08-05-2004, 11:38 AM
upload them in cardomain.com because we all know that Image station sucks!

Oh yeah, I cant see shit either lol

Elijah
08-05-2004, 12:17 PM
Nice looks good.Are you getting Seans ECM?

thegreatdane
08-05-2004, 12:37 PM
That's a pretty clean setup. Looks like fun :D

Robs89LXi
08-05-2004, 12:53 PM
Right click, properties, copy address, paste in address bar, enter. Should bring up pics.
Looking good (especially the battery cooler :cool: ). Thanks for the extra pics.
1. What size pipe did you use for your exhaust manifold runners/collectors?
2. Ever think about puting your other cooling fan back?
3. What kind of turbo is that, and being mounted that low, any problems with oil return?
4. I'd love to know how you built that manifold. How did you mock it up before welding?
Very nice work, my man. I know you just gotta be ready to run that beast, eh? By the way, don't forget to cap the dizzy!!

A20A1
08-05-2004, 01:25 PM
Can't you just send us a link to your imagestation place?

keruhas184
08-05-2004, 01:38 PM
http://keruh.com/3gz/accordtheory1.jpg
http://keruh.com/3gz/accordtheory2.jpg
http://keruh.com/3gz/accordtheory3.jpg
http://keruh.com/3gz/accordtheory4.jpg
http://keruh.com/3gz/accordtheory5.jpg
http://keruh.com/3gz/accordtheory6.jpg

P.S. man you can use my links and I'll edit this post, or you can delete your :redx: pics :)

Accordtheory
08-05-2004, 02:06 PM
Imagestation sucks a fat ass dick, I guess. Right now I'm on a different computer and I can't view my pics at all either, maybe I'll try cardomain or something.
P.S. Robs89lxi, dude, ease up off my manifold design! You don't want that, TRUST me
If you have a mig welder and a plasma cutter, and want to attempt this, I'll give you a few pointers. Thick flange, short 321 stainless primaries. Start with the longest runner first. Figure out how you want all the tubes to go, then fabricate the collector. Then weld the collector onto the longest tube, and weld the other tubes into place. The order in which you do this depends on the design, because you need access to weld around all of the tubes. Be aware of warpage, too. The inside of the collector also should look like a cone with 4 curved sides, not a flat piece with 4 holes in it.

myaccord7
08-05-2004, 06:17 PM
looks good.

zach

accordlxi2.0
08-05-2004, 07:56 PM
oh man!
that look's massive, how much psi are ya expecting?

adams86lxi
08-05-2004, 10:00 PM
awesome! good work man!

Coroncho80
08-06-2004, 03:36 AM
I'm sorry but besides Justin's Turbo hatch, this is the cleanest 3gee turbo that I've seen.

od2681
08-06-2004, 06:00 AM
damn that is nice

NXRacer
08-06-2004, 07:05 AM
so thats what my hatch will look like when its boosted. sweet!! :D

thats a damn nice looking setup. Who did your turbo manifold? Cant wait for that baby to get up and running. Keep up the good work!

Oyvind Ryeng
08-06-2004, 09:14 AM
Looks good! Now lets hear the specs! What turbo is that? No intercooler?

Accordtheory
08-06-2004, 10:57 AM
That's right, no intercooler, at least for now. See the pic of that injector in my charge pipe? That will inject h2o/alcohol, with pulse width based on a map of rpm vs. manifold press. It should be able to cool the charge air well enough, we'll see. It's an experimental thing. My eventual goal with this turbo is 340whp, we'll see how long it takes me to get that, whatever... My turbo is the mistubishi big 16g, before I was running 5-8psi, now I'll be running maybe 10-13 after I get a better clutch and get a decent tune with it.

accordlxi2.0
08-06-2004, 11:08 AM
is'nt it amazing that a a20 series can withstand a turbo but a mitsu can't.
mad prop's though!

ICEMAN707
08-08-2004, 11:30 PM
wow nice setup. make me one :). anyways, i have a few questions:

1) does that turbo manifold have equal-length runners? (hopefully).

2) looks like the front part of the hood can get hot pretty quick wouldn't it? you might need some heat shielding under the front of the hood or your paint with burn-fade in no time (or you or anyone touching the hood could burn themselves). you could also heat-wrap the manifold itself.

3) also, looks like changing the plugs would be a bitch to do. how are you gonna slide in a socket wrench in there to remove the plugs? and wouldn't the spark plug wires touch the hot manifold and melt?

4) what have you done for the engine? is it all internally stock?

anyways, if everything works well, big props to ya and hopefully you can give us the final numbers. :rockon:

88LXiHB
08-09-2004, 10:42 AM
is'nt it amazing that a a20 series can withstand a turbo but a mitsu can't.
mad prop's though!

Mitsu's can't handle turbos? Better not tell John Sheppard that, he'd be pissed that his 8.6 @ 165 street legal DSM can't handle the boost! :uh:

Justin86
08-12-2004, 11:51 AM
he he he looks sweet, hows the civic rad holding up?

Accordtheory
08-12-2004, 02:19 PM
I wouldn't know, I still haven't been able to drive the car. My ecm hasn't arrived from Sean yet, and I paid him on May 3rd.

geesnow
08-12-2004, 03:04 PM
where did u get the turbo SETUP at? and how much. im interested in one.

AccordEpicenter
08-12-2004, 04:14 PM
what clutch are you running

Justin86
08-12-2004, 07:23 PM
I wouldn't know, I still haven't been able to drive the car. My ecm hasn't arrived from Sean yet, and I paid him on May 3rd.
Yea I'm thinking about getting his ECU here soon, my stock stuff is just giving me too much crap lately.

Accordtheory
08-12-2004, 09:45 PM
where did u get the turbo SETUP at? and how much. im interested in one.
Apparently you didn't read my little quote in my first pic..oh well. Yeah I built EVERYTHING you are looking at. I've also driven the car with it's previous fuel/spark setup for a while. You want me to sell you one? It won't be cheap...Yeah right, I won't build that shit for another 3g. No more fwd. Just to satisfy my curiosity, how much would you be willing to pay anyway? (not even knowing these specs)...
walbro forced induction pump for GSR
dsm 450cc injectors (for now)
modified to fit AEBS intake manifold
LS throttle body (also you have to use the LS rail, and a different throttle cable bracket, and modify the fuel line to fit the integra rail)
Ported cylinder head to match the larger ports of the AEBS manifold
Turbo header with 12" runners, ceramic coated
Mitsubishi big 16 turbo (minimal spoolage, more psi in the future)
3" downpipe and complete exhaust
Flowmaster 2 chamber delta flow
aftermarket Civic radiator with flex a lite fan
air filter in the fenderwell, with all custom air piping
Apex'i 2 chamber BOV, I like this one
no intercooler for now, I will be experimenting with a water/alcohol injection system that will be programmable like fuel injection
SEAN'S ECM, whenever that last piece of my puzzle will arrive
I also need to get a wideband 02 (I am liking the Zeitronix unit) and a tool to tune Sean's ecm with my laptop
230-240whp, stock internals? We shall see... More in the future, no doubt!

Accordtheory
08-12-2004, 09:56 PM
wow nice setup. make me one :). anyways, i have a few questions:

1) does that turbo manifold have equal-length runners? (hopefully).

2) looks like the front part of the hood can get hot pretty quick wouldn't it? you might need some heat shielding under the front of the hood or your paint with burn-fade in no time (or you or anyone touching the hood could burn themselves). you could also heat-wrap the manifold itself.

3) also, looks like changing the plugs would be a bitch to do. how are you gonna slide in a socket wrench in there to remove the plugs? and wouldn't the spark plug wires touch the hot manifold and melt?

4) what have you done for the engine? is it all internally stock?

anyways, if everything works well, big props to ya and hopefully you can give us the final numbers. :rockon:
1) The runnners are all about 12/3/4" long
2)Yeah you tell me about it...Header wrap isn't a good idea though, it caused warpage, and my heatshield worked, but it is a better strategy to vent the heat rather than try to contain it
3) yeah right, like I would put that much effort into the manifold and somehow not consider plug access? It's just as easy as stock.
4) internally stock for now, I blew one before with bad tuning, hopefully I will be able to produce some decent power before I do it again

Accordtheory
09-11-2004, 05:33 PM
The factory centrifugal advance adds too much timing in my opinion at high rpm, and leaving the distributor retarded kills your mpg and throttle response out of boost, and I'm too cheap to buy a boost dependant retard, so here is how I modified my distributor to work with my current level of boost, 8psi. Actually this was a purely experimental thing, but it seems to have worked. I took the distributor apart, and then added some metal to restrict the motion in degrees of the centrifugal advance mechanism. This is the piece that fits over the shaft and has the springs connected to it. If you look at it, you can see how it moves with the weights pulling against the springs until it is physically stopped by hitting the piece below it. Well, what I did was weld on some metal to the moving piece, and then file it to the right shape, to the contact surface of the piece below it. I also changed the springs, and then when I reinstalled the distributor, I advanced the timing to almost 24deg. So now I have less centrifugal advance but more still enough timing out of boost. The result is that the car has a nice low egt and pulls hard at 6k without knocking, like it did before, which will destroy the engine in a matter of seconds... However, i don't really recommend doing this, it's just sort of food for thought. Probably better to just go with something like an msd BTM

Vanilla Sky
09-11-2004, 05:40 PM
that's a good, cheap mod if you're going for a budget turbo kit... good work, man

Elijah
09-11-2004, 07:12 PM
I have the msd btm.And I hate it.

night
09-11-2004, 08:18 PM
of find something to put in the vacuum line to restrict it. slowing the speed that it advances.

A20A1
09-11-2004, 08:25 PM
Why do you hate the MSD BTM?

I've used vacuum line restrictors and all I get is less vacuum not slower vacuum response.

AccordEpicenter
09-12-2004, 02:28 PM
i havent setup the btm yet but for $100 why dont you just do that?

Accordtheory
09-12-2004, 03:54 PM
I have the msd btm.And I hate it.
Why? If you set it at about 1.2deg/psi retard, it works okay for most boosting, but doesn't pull enough timing at high rpm? That's what I was trying to solve.. I couldn't get my J&S safeguard to work properly either. What I really need is a completely new engine management system.
And by the way, vacuum restrictors/anything etc on that side won't do anything to the timing under boost, the diaphragm only advances timing under vacuum. The only advance under boost comes from the centrifugal advance, the way I understand it. I was hoping that the vacuum diaphragm would push the little rod the other way under boost, but no such chance, that would be way too cool.

AccordEpicenter
09-12-2004, 04:01 PM
hahah mang im still running stock factory ignition timing at 5lb boost on 93 octane intercooled... no knocking but i bet its on the ragged edge

AccordAddict
09-12-2004, 06:45 PM
what exactly is this "Knocking" sound your talking about? does it only refer to turbos? and you are all talking about knocking at 6000 rpms, i redline my car all the time and i dont think ive heard a "KNOCK" sound... ? what exactly are ya'll talkin about??????????

ET2
09-13-2004, 09:38 AM
If its knocking its all ready over, I think what he's talking about is pre-detonation at higher rpms it makes a metallic pinging sound and will kill the engine if its not corrected

Accordtheory
09-28-2004, 04:31 PM
I want to use an ecu that is from a factory turbo car, so that my shit will have the same nice driveability as a factory setup. Specifically, I want to use a mass airflow setup. I know that there is a lot of bias against MAF setups in the aftermarket, but if it's an inferior setup, why do almost all factory turbo cars use it? Everything from the turbo dsm's, Z's, and Supras to the VW 1.8t's use this type of fuel metering. The mass airflow meters fuel properly under the varying volumetric efficiency conditions encountered while the turbo is spooling. The only way speed density could do this is if there was a MAP sensor in the turbo manifold too! So now, what system is the best one to adapt? I have no idea yet, but it has to have aftermarket support, like uberdata, etc for honda. Maybe the eclipse ecu..? Anyone have any ideas?

hondamanlxi
09-28-2004, 06:44 PM
the dsm setup seems to be the most straight-forward and least troublesome. Nissan and VW anything is usally 4x more complex than need-be and is very flakey ( from personal experience)

no matter what, this is a huge job!..... hey, what about chevy's mass air?

Accordtheory
09-28-2004, 10:18 PM
It would be cool if I could use a minimally restrictive mass airflow meter also, like an aftermarket one for a mustang..

smufguy
09-29-2004, 06:41 AM
MAF sensor does not meter fuel as you know, hence Mass AIRFLOW sensor. anyway, as u noticed it goes before the compressor itself to calculate how much air the turbo sucks in and the map senses how much pressure u build up when u use the sucked in air (read off the MAF) and thats why in the stock form, the DSM cannot be vented (the BOV). the car reves once u step on the gas, makes a nice whoooosh sound and dies.

Honda found a way to perfect their system just by using the MAP sensor while others sitll use MAF in conjunction with their MAP. its not a superior sytem, its just their way of using extra units to be fool proof, while honda concentrated on just perfecting their system via map.

I have heard and seen DSM guys run Corvette MAFs since its in bigger diameter and would improve performance (just like us na guys using 4g map sensor).

you can basically run a Mitsu ECU ior Ford Turbo Ecu, or a VW starion (aka Dodge Conquest) or any stock turbo car ecu. But do know these engines have EGR built into them.

But if i was you, i would start looking into adapting the OBD-1 ecu to your 3g and run a piggy back. Unless u wanna run a standalone. I know you and Elijah run AFCs and he swears by it, but its not the way im doing. I am gonna tap into the stock wiring, make a custom clip for my tec3 wire it all up and the only extra wires will be the for the wideband wire sensor. Also, using all GM sensors, proves to be a cheaper solution as for money vise and also to adapt to most Standalone.

So the cheapest and more reliable and flexible way for you from this current situation would be to get urself the OBD-1 conversion to rum a teg or civic or whatever ECU u want and get the corresponding piggyback.

Accordtheory
09-29-2004, 10:41 AM
I don't have the AFC unit. I have supplemental injection, and a voltage limiter connected to my map sensor. The reason why I want mass air is that I can watch my wideband output, and watch the air/fuel ratio change as the turbo is spooling. A MAP system would be suitable for a supercharger, because there is no lagging variance of exhaust backpressure vs boost/throttle position, but I strongly believe the reason why honda doesn't use mass air is that they don't build turbo engines.

Why would you want to run a piggyback with the obd1? Why wouldn't you just do the hondata thing?

smufguy
09-29-2004, 10:58 AM
Honda has turbo engines made as you know. We just dont have it here in the US. but watch out in a couple of years or even 2005, Honda Accord would come in a turbo Diesel making 130 bph and 200+ Ft-lbs of torque. I doubt they will use the MAF sensors. I have seen pics of engine bays with the Stock Honda turbo motors, but none of them had MAF.

I dont wanna run piggy back with OBD-1. I not a fan of piggybacks anyway. My way, is the Standalone. Thats why im saving up shitload for it. by the time i am done with the car. I think i would have invested about 10K in it and u know what, it will be perfect, atleast to me.

NXRacer
09-29-2004, 11:01 AM
Why would you want to run a piggyback with the obd1? Why wouldn't you just do the hondata thing?
to run hondata you have to converto to OBD1 because there is no way to reliably control ignition timing because our distributors are vacuum advance, not electrical.

hondata also allows you to use wideband O2 sensors.

smufguy
09-29-2004, 11:04 AM
oh i forgot to add, Hondata is a piggy back. Its usually misunderstood as a standalone due to their popularity. but seems like a lot of guys wanna run Uberdata or something like that.

NXRacer
09-29-2004, 11:07 AM
uberdata is just the free version of hondata. With uberdata, you can burn CPU chips to plug into the stock ECU so its not really a piggyback system.

Accordtheory
09-29-2004, 03:27 PM
I'm sick of this shit! I want a car that you can actually buy parts for. I'm sick of making everything myself and adapting all kinds of shit just so some fucking punk can beat me in an almost stock car like an eclipse, or a mustang, or Whatever. I'm about to crash my fucking accord and buy something legit! All you have to do to an eclipse is basic upgrades, 20g, big intercooler, the apex'i super afc, bigger injectors, fuel pump, and it's fast as fuck!

p.s. sorry for my negativity

NXRacer
09-29-2004, 03:50 PM
but wheres the fun in going to your local ricer shop and buying everything off the shelf??

A20A1
09-29-2004, 03:51 PM
LOL, no ones stopping you from jumping on the bandwagon.

Robs89LXi
09-29-2004, 03:55 PM
I remember as a kid, having the choice of buying a toy aeroplane, or building one from a model kit. I would always choose the kit. You see, for me anyway, it was the building of the plane that was the fun part, not so much the plane itself.

A20A1
09-29-2004, 04:09 PM
Now I'm confused... is it airplane or aeroplane?

smufguy
09-29-2004, 04:30 PM
accord theory, i understand your pain bro. The easiest should be the exhaust manifold, but unluckly for us, we dont seem to have one. I guess our gen has been overlooked too much that its easy to see it by comparing the support for our cars to the 4th gen. There is soo much they can do.

This is why, i am taking my time doing this turbo stuff. I am slowly getting my parts. Concentrating on what needs to be done. looking at what parts actrually fit our cars from other honda models. The beggest breakthru was when Jean said that for his B20A the exact match was the F22A cam gears. So im getting all the old parts like the clutch, Diff piston (dimensions), rod (dimensions) and cam sent in to resp compaines to find an exact match. Its a time taking process, but once i get them right, i will have no problem in the future. Even the newer guys can have a good foundation becaus of that.

But all i have to tell u is that, wait for a little while, and see how certain things are done and u will be glad. Ur car is just limited because of the clutch i suppose. All you need to know is how much Jhonny-O has accomplished. I been there in English Town too many times to see him run and his ideas, his courage and his willingness to try out new things always made me think positive.

Here is something cool to look at. this evo is a 9sec monster made by TurboTrix here in NJ. Look who is on the left lane to him ;)

http://img89.exs.cx/img89/8103/a_smaller.th.jpg (http://img89.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img89&image=a_smaller.jpg)

A20A1
09-29-2004, 04:40 PM
Hey I saw that in an issue of Turbo magazine... I think the most recent one... but I never can be sure cause Hawaii isn't as uptodate as I'd like it to be.

Maybe we should put up a fund to the big power 3gee... so they'll carry our 3geez.com logo and get us some more recognition.

Robs89LXi
09-29-2004, 04:59 PM
Now I'm confused... is it airplane or aeroplane?

Smart ass! :). I guess that's just the ol' British schooling coming back.

smufguy
09-29-2004, 05:03 PM
Maybe we should put up a fund to the big power 3gee... so they'll carry our 3geez.com logo and get us some more recognition.

amen to that, and Jhonny would be the one who will probably get it. and he needs to ditch the stock dist. i hope he does :sad2:

and that pic/ event was in E-town. not too many spectators then. It was like 3 months old.

AccordEpicenter
09-29-2004, 05:42 PM
well you could adapt another cars factory ecu but youd have to have it tuned for this engine... volumetric efficiency, head design, bore/stroke (displacement) intake and exhaust manifolds and every other part in the engine would make it behave differently than it was designed for, ie, if you took a computer/wiring harness and supporting electronics (ignition etc, boost controls) from a dsm and ran it on an accord if you could actually get it to run right youd have to tune it by altering the fuel/spark/boost curves to get the ecu to work with this engine and its supporting hardware... I doubt thatd be easier or better than getting either a standalone or adapting an obd-1 computer and modding the eproms (fuel/spark tables), there are just sooo many variables its sick, think of how much work sean had to go thru just to get his ecu setup to work, guys we are talking months. I have an Apexi Safc (digital blue display) and 450cc 1g dsm injectors with my walbro 255lph and if anything i have too much fuel, but the transition from vaccuum to boost is seamless and it runs like a factory turboed car, save for my flaky wastegate setup, also the MSD BTM seems to be working decently also, but in any setup, standalone or piggyback or different factory ecu with tuned eproms, tuning is the key. The only thing that limits the SAFC is the factory map sensor which reads boost only to about 10psi... after that the map sensor still thinks youre at 10psi even if you were at 15 or 20psi, so it wouldnt give you any fuel correction past 10psi, to go past that youll need somthing with a 3bar map sensor

oh yea and a clutch... i got my 6 puck sprung hub with dual diaphram pressure plate (100% stiffer than stock pressure plate... thats 2x clamping force kids) installed in the turbo accord and it seems like one hell of a nice clutch and it was cheaper than my spec stage V... the clutchnet one that i had custom made by them was $380 or so and didnt come with a throwout bearing (who cares)... if it holds up itll be worth it, im guessing that it should hold to probably 300lb ft, my stage V was rated to 414lb ft but used a stock-like pressure plate and 3 puck unsprung sintered iron pucks, shockingly enough i managed to drive that around town without too much trouble but it only lasted 500 miles unboosted non-thrashed.

smufguy
09-29-2004, 06:07 PM
also the dsm cars dont use vaccum dists like us. The use the magneto trigg set up with two coil packs as we know. So this just adds on to the fact of using a stock turbo car's ecu just to utelize the maf sensor unit and hence including all the sensors that the ecu needs to run off of.

I dont wanna trash Sean or talk bad of his work. I am glad he did his research, but my question has always been, why? it was not programable, he said it was copywrited and he could not use it. He said he would have the downloadable files, but it did work. his stuff was too expensive compared to the already existing aftermarket stuff. so his research was more of a knowledge gathering IMO, than any profit.

but yeah accordtheory, i would say get ur car converted to OBD-1 to run piggy back, if not i would say run standalone.

AccordEpicenter
09-29-2004, 06:25 PM
right...not to trash your ideas accordtheory... your thinking very in depth, good managemant/tuning is the key to making our turbo cars run good... just keep it simpler with known solutions, like an obd-1 conversion or a piggyback or full standalone... Somtimes paying the extra money for the peace of mind/tunability and just plain knowing what to expect and exactly what you have to do to get it to work are just worth it. I think seans ecu was a great idea and offered the tuneability compared to many obd-1 computers, actually even better and he had most of the guess work already done with the wiring harness etc

NXRacer
09-29-2004, 06:31 PM
i still dont understand why you are paying SO much for a standalone when you could do OBD1 and uberdata for a small fraction of the cost. And you dont have the limitations of a VAFC or whatever. I'd rather spend the money on a bigger turbo/n2o and program accordingly into the ECU.

smufguy
09-29-2004, 07:49 PM
Caleb, the reason we use standalones despite their money is the ease of tunability, customer support, warrenty, staged boost setup, contol of electronic boost controls for variable boost limits, boost via speed/rpm set up, automatic ingestion of Nitrous or alcohol, crank trigger and much more

I am gonna be running standalone for various reasons. I am planning to run electronic boost control, nitrous and also alcohol injection so with the TEC3 i can easily run all these with the crank trigg im gonna do without any problem. All it needs is the input, tuned and its flawless. If it ever has a product glitch or what not, there is always warrenty.

To be honest, i have never heard of uberdata until someone mentioned it here not too long back. I was like wtf? I intend to have my car for a very long time and enter into carshows and get some recognition not only for the work i did but mainly for the 3g import scene.

But it all comes done to what someone's priorities, likes, financial, time and knowledge limitations. I am doing this project not only cause its my passion, but also to utelize my engineering skills into practice. I want this to be my real life proof of what i can do and find out where my limitiations are and most importantly what they are. I guess we will find out soon what will work and what wont :)

NXRacer
09-29-2004, 07:56 PM
i guess you dont read much on the other big honda forums like honda-tech and stuff. sure the big boys run with standalone and alot of expensive shit, but all the budget DIYers all run hondata/uberdata.

i aint knocking ya for running it, its just way to uneconomical for most peeps. especially people on here.

The stuff you mentioned you can do with a standalone can be done easily with uberdata.

Robs89LXi
09-29-2004, 10:11 PM
You are both right; there are pros and cons for each setup. Like you though, Caleb, cost is a factor to me as well. Not because I can't afford it either, but because I'd like to see one of us develope a reliable, drivable, turbocharged A20 so that we can pass it on to those still to come. Wouldn't it have been nice when you joined this forum to find that someone had already developed a turbo kit for you, and had the how to all written up? This board has helped me out quite a bit in the short time I've been a member, and I would like to make some contribution to it if I can. This is why I suggested Uberdata as a good, proven, economical alternative for our engine management. I think it's great that we suddenly have so many people experimenting with boosting, and are taking different paths to get there. This variety of knowledge will only make us that much smarter, and stronger as a group. Between all of us, we will eventually find a very good way, or maybe even several ways, to finally have a well boosted 3rd Gen. Keep up the chatter!

AccordEpicenter
09-30-2004, 04:58 PM
i think uberdata/hondata/turboedit basically modified honda ecus can be set up well enough that theyd be more than adequate for serious serious power levels... theyre just not as user friendly and easy to program as say, a standalone... but like you guys say there are pros and cons to each setup.

Accordtheory
03-31-2005, 04:59 PM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/779000-779999/779069_6_full.jpg http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/779000-779999/779069_3_full.jpg http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/779000-779999/779069_4_full.jpg http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/779000-779999/779069_2_full.jpg http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/779000-779999/779069_5_full.jpg

The pump is in the windshield washer tank. It is rated at 750gph. It turns on anytime there is boost in the charge pipe (not necessarily in the intake manifold). The total volume of distilled water/antifreeze in the system is about a gallon. The heat exchanger is a B&M tranny cooler, not my first choice, but it should do the job. This is a legit alternative to the popular front mount..which isn't very suitable for the 3g.

PortugalFocus
03-31-2005, 05:07 PM
crazy job man... that looks sick. Is it helping keep exhaust or engine temps down at all?

Cheeseburger
03-31-2005, 05:07 PM
not bad, where in ca do you live at?

A20A1
03-31-2005, 05:34 PM
I have 2 B&M's. After some hard driving once you put the fan to them the oil lines and the cooler itself, are cool to the touch.

Nice custom work. :)

Strugglebucket
03-31-2005, 05:47 PM
very cool, but how are you going to get it smogged?

AccordEpicenter
03-31-2005, 06:01 PM
props for creativity man. Havent you ever seen pics of my FMIC?

PhydeauX
03-31-2005, 06:17 PM
Let me know how that oil cooler works to keep the water cool. I've been toying around with a few ideas for my nova, the oil cooler is one of them. The others being 2 oil coolers (assuming one isn't big enough) and a civic radiator with custom tanks.

andy

895spdforfree
03-31-2005, 06:27 PM
yeah man im curious on how ur gonna pass smog too

AccordEpicenter
03-31-2005, 06:36 PM
shhh

Coroncho80
03-31-2005, 07:51 PM
yeah man im curious on how ur gonna pass smog too

That is the last worries about a turbo guy :bowrofl: You'll know one day :sad2:

Accordtheory
04-02-2005, 12:07 PM
If I don't get it smogged in a couple days, im fucked..$880 ticket. FUCK the police. Fuck the so called "justice" system. It's all about getting money to further its own evil counterproductive existence. Fucking bitches. A friend said he could hook me up, but I doubt that will happen. Strugglebucket, you know anyone in vacaville who could hook me up?

89T
02-11-2012, 07:45 PM
I am bumping every old turbo thread. Is it running or gone.