PDA

View Full Version : Weber/Header/Cam?

Darkside
08-14-2003, 11:55 AM
Ok I have the Weber and a Header and a cam. I also have good tires Yokohama AVS ES 100 205/50/R15. I know of a nother guy localy who has almost the exact same setup. The problem is that neither one of us can do a burn-out. Like one rotation maybe. I've been told by tuning shops that the power band has been moved too far to the top end. Thus eliminating low end power. Does anyone else have this problem? How can it be fixed. I was going to try and have the carb re-jetted by top end performance. But the other guy has re-jetted his carb and had no luck. So what can be done to bump the power back down? Maybe more back pressure? At this point I have none. I mean none, with some mirrors you could probably look in the tail pipe and see in the engine. I put on my stock wheels and it was somewhat better. Please help. Thanks

A20A1
08-14-2003, 01:16 PM
You don't want backpressure... you want exhaust velocity

Anyways re-jetting a carb wont shift the powerband... jetting the carb makes sure you have the right fuel mixture thru-out the RPM range.

And why do you want to burn out? If your tires are sticking that means their doing their job. Stock rims/tires tend to break loose because they have a much smaller surface area.

check how much vacuum you are pulling... if it's 20 or below then you might want to try a different manifold vacuum port that pulls more vacuum or check for leaks... if your cam is too wild then the vacuum at idle drops and you wont get as much ignition advance.

You can always advance the distributor but that messes up the rest of your powerband and isn't worth it IMO.

Also you might want to look into an upgraded fuel pump and a regulator. try it out at 3.5 and 4.0 psi and see if it makes a difference.

If your carb wasn't jetted right to begin with then that could be your problem.
What size is your pump jet? 55? 60?
What size are your idle jets? it should be between 55 - 65

wprocomp
08-14-2003, 07:06 PM
I have done both tires before...with my handbrake on...but it struggles with the 15's...with my 13's back on its no prob...but if you feel that it does not want to do it dont force it...you could screw up your hub bearings

Darkside
08-14-2003, 07:12 PM
The carb came from carbs unlimited and was for the 86-89 accord ( I bought it used but the receipts were in the box ). I have an air/fuel gauge and it is lean at idle and then goes to rich when I dump it. The most it goes rich is 3-4 lites and for lean at idle it doesn't even show up on the gauge untill you hit the gas.
It seems like your thinking incorrect jet sizes and that could be; if you don't mind check out this website and tell me what you think of their re-jetting packages. Here's the address. www.racetep.com
Also I don't really want wheel spin but the car doesn't want to launch off the line. And when you rev it up to try it kind of bogs then you are already behind.
I recently had all kinds of distributor problems and now have a JDM distributor and a brand new vaccume advance.

My fuel pump was replaced with a stock honda part about 6 monthes ago.
Anyways Thanks any added advice would be great.

bobafett
08-14-2003, 08:35 PM
shesh thats really too bad.

could u burn out when your car was stock?

i have intake headers exhaust and a high flow cat (basically same mods as you) and i can burn my 13's or my 17's it didnt matter, i could light them up no sweat... :) as it is now i cant step on it with a 2000rpm "let the clutch out really quick" launch without getting wheelspin. :) i have to be moving a few mph before i can punch it.. which sucks, because my 60' times are horrible

Darkside
08-14-2003, 08:56 PM
Yes I could burn out stock. Now on the higway my car is faster if dump it in third I shift out at about 90 and then your over 100-110- very good pull even some pull in 5th still. Still seems odd.

dXsquared
08-14-2003, 09:32 PM
you forgot to add that your car is an auto... and that sucks...lol

i can roast my tires through second gear... i have 215/20/17's and i have no problems... rev it to 2500, drop the clutch and floor it, shift fast without letting off the gas... then im set...no e brake

Travis

shepherd79
08-15-2003, 03:28 AM
Darkside, what kind header do you have?
if you want to move your power band you will need adjustible cam gear. By retarding the cam gear you should be able to move the power down the RPM range.

86AccordLxi
08-15-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by DXHATCHBACK
you forgot to add that your car is an auto... and that sucks...lol

i can roast my tires through second gear... i have 215/20/17's and i have no problems... rev it to 2500, drop the clutch and floor it, shift fast without letting off the gas... then im set...no e brake

Travis

Who's car is auto? Darkside's car is a 5 spd.

Alex

Darkside
08-15-2003, 09:52 AM
Yeah - Auto I hate auto I would never own one. No neither of these cars with the same problems are auto.

The haeder is pacesetter. I'm going to try the cam gear after I re-jet. I'll try just about anything.
Need more lowend torqe.

bobafett
08-15-2003, 10:31 AM
i dunno. that just doesnt make sense. i mean if you have less lowend tq just rev higher before u drop it. :(

sounds like a problem more than just "no lowend tq"
cause i have grabbed rubber in my brothers 80hp accord. lol... :)

Darkside
08-15-2003, 12:01 PM
I think its the jetting. But I've dropped it at 5000 and still nothing. The clutch is a South Bend clutch and is less than a year old. Bobafett next time your in town call me up and I'll let you try it. Peace and keep think of new stuff to try. Ohh Yeah I should have some rear strut bars soon if any one wants to buy one. Like you Bobafett you NEED one.

bobafett
08-15-2003, 03:30 PM
yeah i do.. i also need a front! but i want a good looking one. so i need to hunt and make sure i can find one that looks good and has the mounting hardware that will be compatible..

lol, OMG if i EVER did a 5000rpm launch i would just die...
btw, do u know how easy it is to remove the coolant lines from tb/intake? i am wanting to do it, but i am not sure exactly how to get it done. lol

Darkside
08-16-2003, 10:21 AM
I haven't done it on a 3rd gen ...yet but it should be soo easy. The strut bars we are using are apc for 92-00 civic or teg they should have them at a local parts store. Check them out. So I put the cat back into exhaust and now I can launch off the line again.?! WTF I don't notice too much power loss any where else and now my car isn't as loud. But I think that little bit of back pressure really help althou I can't expalin why. When I took off this time I only reved to just over 3000. Peace Out.