PDA

View Full Version : How to lower steering column?

toastyghost
06-14-2002, 09:38 AM
Could someone please explain to me how to lower the steering column so you can pop the dash out once it's unbolted? I've been driving around with an unsecured dash for a few days because it won't fit over the steering wheel. The way hondaaccord86 explained it to me, there are two nuts and two screws going vertically under there that are holding the column up to the frame. I got the two nuts off (harhar shut up) but I don't see how to get at the screws. They appear to be mounted from above, so I can't really approach them because the dash itself is in the way. Kind of a Catch-22 like that... If you help me get this dash out, I will construct a temple on top of my house in your image. :bow: j00

Thanks!

Dutchboy
06-20-2002, 03:33 PM
WHy dont you just take the steering wheel off then...??????:huh:
Its a lot easier and takes 2 seconds..

pop the center honda emblem out and use a i think 17or 19mm socket on a extension and pull the wheel off.!!!!

BoredRec
06-20-2002, 05:03 PM
It's a 19mm.
I thought there were only the two bolts that you get from bottom, then you could lower it...but maybe I was wrong.

toastyghost
06-21-2002, 12:22 AM
Fuckin' bloody hell. That's easy.. I went out to Advance and bought a 5/8 deep socket for the sole purpose of lowering the damn steering column, which by the way is held on by two normal hex bolts and two nuts on really long screws that keep normal sockets from fitting onto the nuts... I couldn't figure out how to get the center of the steering wheel off. I didn't see any screws that should be holding it but I didn't want to force it if it wasn't supposed to be taken off. I just figured it would be easier to lower the column since that what the other dude doing his interior did and he already knew how to do it. I'm not sure if I have a socket that big but I can probably use pliers or some jery rig shit like I always do.. ask my car club homey about his "bling bling" hood lights controlled by a switch that was hanging from the dash by a wire...