PDA

View Full Version : New to the board, ideas about my accord

g0ldfinGa
08-16-2003, 12:59 AM
Hi, I recently started reading this board and got some great info on painting and whatnot, I currently have a 1987 accord thats basically stock to the bone.

I got in a wreck with it about a month ago and it bent up my bumper assembly, shattered the turn signals and crunched the headlight and fender, well $40 later I got my fender and the complete headlight replaced. Now all I gotta do is replace the corner signal (the one that fills the hole on the side on the fender).

Well im going to be painting my car, does anyone have pics of a cheap maaco job? is it at least glossy? is there anyway i can do it myself and have it look decent?

I'm redoing my interior for sure, either blue and black or white and blue. Im going to redo the doors and seats (recover them) with baby blue gucci fabric and it should turn out quite nice. Ive never seen this done in a car around here before, let alone a accord. I'm also going to make a mounting bracking for my laptop that slides from behind the dash (like on a hinge) because my laptop has a 12.1" screen and is very nice in the car, as it can play dvds, nes, playstation, snes, sega whatever on it.. :D

Another thing i did was goto the junkyard and steal that dimmer switch (you know the one that dims the dash lights) and I took out the rear defroster switch and put in the second dimmer and wired it back under the seats so i can use the dimmer for two black light tubes once i get em installed. I'm also gonna try to take just the back top part of the seat off, and leave the bottom that covers the stuff, the reason being is for airflow for the sub to the cabin.

Well ill be sure to document the progress with pictures and hopefully the end product will be a very unique accord.

;)

Bloodlust
08-16-2003, 05:12 AM
Its funny you say that, I got my car painted by maaco. I am taking pics of it today. I will email them to you. But to tell you the truth I was not all in all impressed with their work. I got in an accident with a salt truck during the winter and my left turn signal and whole bumper was fucked. I spent $1,000 dollars for them to put my new bumper cover on, paint it, along with the rest of my car, and put my JSP Mini Scorpion on and paint that as well. They also painted black around my windows and stuff like that. I think if I would have spent the extra 500 dollars and take it to a body shop for them to prep it right, it would have turned out much better. But for the money you can't beat maaco, just dont go to them for body work. My bumper cover is still hanging even after taking it back to them 3 times! But anyways, I will email my pics to you as soon as they come out of the camera.

luCid89LXi
08-16-2003, 07:26 AM
i heard maaco wasnt that great...like they do a fine job painting but the dont put other stuff on that they should like hardener or whatever that shit is called?

ive had friends go to maaco because the price was less but complained about it after

cdscowboy
08-16-2003, 10:45 AM
I had a Maaco job on my first car. If you take into account that it was only $250, I think the paint job was pretty damn good. There were a couple places where tiny bubbles had popped, but they gave me the rest of the paint, so those holes were easy for me to fill in. Painting is the sort of thing where "you get what you pay for." If you're looking for show quality, you'll pay out the ass, if you want cheap-as-hell-but-painted, then go with Maaco. Then of course there's all the ones in between. Good luck :)

g0ldfinGa
08-16-2003, 12:40 PM
Maaco around here has specials eveyonce in awhile, when u can get thier $250 service for only $100, i was just wondering if it looked anything like the finish on a new car cause ive heard it doesnt really even look shiny :( My friend offered to do my car for $600 and he knows what hes doing and thatd be a show quality finish but id have to prolly wait till next year to get that, or until he gets a heated garage

Mike89Accordcom
08-16-2003, 11:58 PM
Yeah for what Maaco does it ain't bad. I'd never get a paintjob from them, but hey if that's all you can afford go for it.

Vinny
08-18-2003, 06:20 AM
MAaaco will paint anything, thats one advantage if you want to call it that. They'll paint over rust and dents and crap and don't care. Where "good" body shops want to fix all the dents and grind out rust and fix everything, but once again you get what you pay for.

Steeltwo
08-19-2003, 01:01 PM
their paint jobs last something like 3-5 years before the car starts peeling and looking like ass again.

Vinny
08-19-2003, 01:04 PM
MAACO's a good idea if you want to sell your car or just want a decent cheap paint job but if you plan on keeping it and want a high quality job, its gonna cost ya

g0ldfinGa
08-19-2003, 01:14 PM
got rid of the accord today, couldnt pay the remainder of the loan there goes those plans

kicker1_solo
08-20-2003, 01:24 PM
Damn, that sucks man. I just noticed that you're from washington and I was gonna offer to paint it in my shop for you for a decent price, but I guess nevermind on that. :(

86AccordLxi
08-20-2003, 01:26 PM
I live close enough, could I get a deal on paint?

Alex

kicker1_solo
08-20-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by 86AccordLxi
I live close enough, could I get a deal on paint?

Alex my shop is actually in Oregon, so yeah, I'm sure we could work something out. Send me a PM.