PDA

View Full Version : Potential cheap mod

KaMiKaZeE
08-16-2003, 11:21 AM
I was trying to think of how to get a bit more performance out of our motors without expensive engine re-working, and I was thinking about spark plugs and compression. Have any of you ever seen a marine surface-gap type plug? if we can find one that is the correct thread size and that extends into the combustion chamber to just about the same point as the electrode tip does on our normal plugs, then used an msd or other hi-intensity discharge ignition to fire it, I think it would give a nice little jump in compression because of the way a surface-gap plug is constructed, and would probably have better flame propogation too when using them with high-powered ignitions. What do you guys think? Is it worth a try?

KaMiKaZeE
08-16-2003, 01:13 PM
I might try it using my car as the guinea pig. Do you happen to know what size our plugs are?

1988starter
08-16-2003, 01:19 PM
go for it sounds like a neat idea if yourworks I will try it with my 6al

zero.counter
08-16-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by KaMiKaZeE
Do you happen to know what size our plugs are?
1.1in diameter I believe , for the idea to work, you might need to compensate by running a richer mixture and even still might have to look into a possbile re-thread of the holes. Edit* Comment corrected by A20A1, thanks hawaiian guy! I don't know what I was thinking, slipped.

Maybe a small increase in HP is what you would see at best. As you already know, an easy was to raise/lower compression would be to play around with headgaskets thickness/thinness. Think about it.

A20A1
08-16-2003, 01:43 PM
a richer mixture lowers the chance of detonation.

KaMiKaZeE
08-16-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by A20A1
a richer mixture lowers the chance of detonation.
Thats very true! And why would there be any reason for me to need to change it anyway? What are you thinking zero?:lol

*EDIT*- Also shouldn't the plug size be metric since it is a honda?

zero.counter
08-16-2003, 01:51 PM
Thats very true! And why would there be any reason for me to need to change it anyway? What are you thinking zero?:lol
Well let's see, you want to increase spark and somehow change compression with a different type of plug? Yet the air/fuel going into the cylinder will be the same. I am assuming that you are trying to accomplish a quicker burn or combustion and I was adding by suggesting more fuel to burn faster for the bigger spark. Otherwise, what, is it going to give you 50HP by burning brighter?

Think about why the muscle cars do it and why they use upgraded fuels systems to cope with the larger spark.

Beside that, I cant see why it would increase your performance or be worth the time even being frugal as it may.

Dude, the rich/detonation was a mishap, don't dredge on a mistake of another when we all have flaws and point it out on someone faster than we would point out our own, I have my reasons for being absent-minded.

zero.counter
08-16-2003, 01:55 PM
*EDIT*- Also shouldn't the plug size be metric since it is a honda?
Well if you studied any simple mathematics in school, you should know the conversion, or do you want me to do it for you? :flipa:

Do the conversion and then you can talk to me, I seem so far, to be at least trying to help you.

KaMiKaZeE
08-16-2003, 01:55 PM
Dude, don't take it all personal, i was just messin. And the performance gain I was thinking of is mainly from the increase in compression due to the fact that all of that hollow space in a normal plug around the electrode is all filled in on a surface gap plug, and that is probably at least as much of a compression gain as from a thin head gasket.

zero.counter
08-16-2003, 02:00 PM
Dude, don't take it all personal, i was just messin. And the performance gain I was thinking of is mainly from the increase in compression due to the fact that all of that hollow space in a normal plug around the electrode is all filled in on a surface gap plug, and that is probably at least as much of a compression gain as from a thin head gasket.
Sorry dude, no offense taken. We cool?

KaMiKaZeE
08-16-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by zero.counter
Sorry dude, no offense taken. We cool?
Yeah;) :D You havin' a bad day or somethin?:wave:

Oh and also, suface gaps are REALLY cold plugs, so low that they aren't even rated, so if I can find some to fit our car, they would be a great upgrade for those of us who run boost or nitrous systems.

KaMiKaZeE
08-16-2003, 02:26 PM
Here is a bad pic of a surface-gap plug so you can get an idea of what I'm thinking about. With a high-powered ignition you have a lot of exposed spark too, so that is a side-bonus.

http://www.torquemaster.com/images/spark%20plug%20-%20S.O.T..jpg

1988starter
08-16-2003, 04:31 PM
where would you buy something like that.

smufguy
08-21-2003, 05:07 AM
The surface gap plugs are mainly for Marine, Snowmobile and motorcycle engines only. Since automobiles are not mentioned in the application i dont know if they would be good in use. anywho, Starter Autolite makes em here are some links

http://cpgparts.alliedsignal.com/cpg/catalog/autolite/legal/SPTypes.pdf

Techno
08-21-2003, 10:18 AM
I am not sure that the surface gap plug would work in our car. The size of it would be a lot smaller. Read the article and decide for yourself. Look Here (http://www.sae.org/motorsports/technology/aeijan03-f1.htm)

Techno

Vinny
08-21-2003, 10:32 AM
I don't think it'd work, but thats just my opinion on it