PDA

View Full Version : Timing Belt, Water pump, Oil Pump Questions....

fuzzy audio
08-16-2003, 12:24 PM
Hey all! I had a bunch of questions for ya'll!

1.) Is there any brands of timing belts to avoid?

2.) Is there any brands of water pumps to avoid?

3.) When/how often should an oil pump be changed?

AZmike
08-16-2003, 12:37 PM
1 I would get either a Gates brand belt or one from the dealer

2 I've heard that the Honda water pump at the dealer laster much longer than anythng else.

3 You should measure the clearances as shown in the service manual if you think the oil pump might be bad. This part is not typically replaced as preventative maintanence.

fuzzy audio
08-16-2003, 12:46 PM
Cool. I was thinking I would just get a Beck/Arnley Timing belt cause they have the lifetime warranty.

Well, I talked to the guy who sold me the car and he said the water pump was never changed! It's got 137k on it! :eek:

That's what I thought about the oil pump. I never quite figured out if there was a mile/year mark where it should be changed. I lost my first car, an 80 Prelude to an oil pump failure. Don't wanna loose my 3G to one too.;)

fuzzy audio
08-16-2003, 12:51 PM
So I just called the local honda dealer. Asked how much a water pump would be.

$65+tax (8.5%):huh:

All I can say is FUCK THAT! I'll go with the one from Schucks that has a lifetime warranty!

Now that I look, Schucks carries two different ones with lifetime warranty's for under $30!

GMB A1351230 (http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDetails.asp?SourceArea=SHOP&SourcePage=SEARCHRESULTS&MfrCode=GMB&MfrPartNumber=A1351230&PartType=54&PTSet=A)
Water Pump: New; A20/BS/BT Eng.; OE # 19200-PH1-505
Lifetime Limited Warranty Find in a store
Ships in 1 day
Weight: 1.6 lbs.
$26.99

or

ASC WP671 (http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDetails.asp?SourceArea=SHOP&SourcePage=SEARCHRESULTS&MfrCode=AIN&MfrPartNumber=WP671&PartType=54&PTSet=A)
New; OE #19200-PH1-000; w/o Pulley
Lifetime Replacement Warranty Ships in 1 day
Weight: 2.4 lbs.
$24.88

DBMaster
08-16-2003, 01:08 PM
Buy a water pump from hondaautomotiveparts.com. It's about $37. Worth the little extra. I bought a $45 aftermarket brand new pump at NAPA that went bad after 18K miles! (bearing went out) The warranty means nothing because it is a bitch to replace if it goes bad and forces you to do it between T-Belt changes.

I did use a Gates T-Belt from NAPA. I am not sure which brands are equivalent to factory, but there are a lot of good belts out there.

The oil pump should onlt be replaced if it is leaking.

jlaccord89lxi
08-16-2003, 05:39 PM
go with genuine stuff when it comes to your engine man!

89LxiAg
08-16-2003, 08:05 PM
Fuzzy, I totally agree with jlaccord89lxi. I replaced an alternator once from a local auto store, only to have it die the same day. I just finished replacing a thermostat that just died after 3 years, again a non-dealer part. The moral is that though the Genuine Honda parts cost more, they do not break as often or as quickly as some of the other manufacturers out there. Do yourself a favor and keep it genuine, or risk replacing things more often.

fuzzy audio
08-17-2003, 01:17 PM
I hear ya guys. Just being a poor college student I don't have a lot of extra $$$. I'll look into it though I don't think I can pop the extra $24 for it. BTW: the pump is $43.64 + $4.95 S&H.

zero.counter
08-17-2003, 01:21 PM
Stay away from autozone water pumps, yeah they have a LL warranty, but you won't regret if you go honda genuine.

Oil pumps are to be replaced if the obvious has occured, that being it blew. Other than that, everythime an engine is rebuilt its is recommended.

fuzzy audio
08-17-2003, 01:28 PM
Well I just did a search on the GMB, find out some more about there company. They are an OEM manufacture for...

Toyota
Suzuki
Mercedes
Hyundai
Kia
Daewoo
Volvo
BMW
Jaguar

Sounds good to me!

Mac
08-17-2003, 05:22 PM
Stay with Honda parts. The little extra money will be worth it in the end.

2old_honda
08-17-2003, 05:51 PM
go to www.drivewire.com get a OEM honda belt and a GMB pump. Check out the impeller on the GMB pump vs. the OEM pump.

GMB:
http://img.eautopartscatalog.com/live/G300067641GMB.JPG

OEM:
http://img.eautopartscatalog.com/live/G300067641ATS.JPG

drivewire also has free shipping

fuzzy audio
08-17-2003, 06:05 PM
I think I am voting GMB on this one.

Hey 2old_honda, with the timing belts at drivewire, which one of those is the OEM one?

DBMaster
08-18-2003, 06:35 AM
Sorry about that. I read the drivewire price wrong. I still say stick with Honda. You can't tell much by looking at the impeller design and there is nothing wrong with the performance of the Honda pump. Remember, I bought a brand new aftermarket pump (it might have been a GMB) and the bearing was shot after 18,000 miles. The Honda pumps last at least 100K miles - I change them when I do the timing belt. Honda claims to have a patent on their bearing/seal design. I believe it.

The genuine Honda pump is on hondaautomotiveparts.com for less than $10 more. Having to change the pump prematurely is a bitch.

BTW, Honda does not make its own belts. I know the factory drive belts are Bando, but I am not sure about the timing belt.

2old_honda
08-18-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by fuzzy audio
I think I am voting GMB on this one.

Hey 2old_honda, with the timing belts at drivewire, which one of those is the OEM one?

sorry, i dont. I was told that they carry the OEM belt tho. I think you will have to call or email them. Let me know what you find out because I will be ordering one sometime in the near future.

gyates93
11-02-2014, 01:49 AM
Buy Honda OEM water pump, my car had aftermarket and the bearing failed at less than 60 000km. Even though some of the aftermarket are lifetime warranty, it's not worth doing that job twice..

derolph
11-07-2014, 08:15 AM
You posted a reply to a discussion over 11 years old!