PDA

View Full Version : Help Bob & Also Wiring Experts!!!

87AccordsterLx
06-14-2002, 11:18 AM
ok well this isn't that big of a deal but I was just wondering about a few things... my Sony deck got stolen awhile ago and the backup deck that I have now doesnt have preamp outputs and I was wondering what that thing was that you can buy to tap into your car speakers.. also I have a new amp (400x2 Interfire) and I was wondering what the best way would be to run the wiring for the 2nd amp... (I have a fosgate punch as well) the wires for the punch are already setup.. do I have to run seperate wires?? I know that you can tap into the rem. wire but can you buy something to tap into the power wire??? Its a 10 gauge wire....THANKS!!!!!!

pimping89lxi
06-14-2002, 01:11 PM
:bandit:

Well that thing to tap into the lines, i dont remember what the name of those damn things are. Sorry
But for the new amp, it is best that you run a fatter guage power line to your amps. a 10 guage power line is for like a 200 watt system. If you want to run a 400x2 amp and a Fosgate as well, you will need alot of juice than a 10 guage can provide. Just get a new power line, i would say a 2 guage. Then you can get a splitter to run the power into both amps.

87AccordsterLx
06-14-2002, 01:51 PM
where could I get a wire splitter??? and is that what they are called??? I remember someone calling it a fuse or something... thanks....

shepherd79
06-14-2002, 03:37 PM
well here is what you can do.
i was in walmart the other day and was checking out what they had for speakers wires, well nothing good in speaker wires.
but they have 4g power cable kit. i think it is like $20.
you may want to run additional power cable for the other amp but i think 4g should be enough for two of them.
here is what i did so far. i ran 4g. from the battery, i used simular battery clamp http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/LITBCMON1
it ran me $25 for one of them. way too expensive but it gives a nice finished look.
i mounted the fuse box http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/STISTINGFH3 as close to the battery as possible. i screwed to the fender. i am using 60amps fuse.
the power wire is running directly to the ampright now but i am planning to putt simular splitter http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/STISDB034
i will probably run 4g to each amp. i will use the one or may be two diff. grounds.
i think you should be good to go.
good luck.

Bobs89LXi
06-14-2002, 05:57 PM
To wire an amp to a head unit without RCA preamp jacks, you can get what is called an impedence matching transformer. Basically what it does it take a speaker output, designed for 2-8 ohms, and matching it to the audio inputs for an amp, which usually around 1000 ohms. If you do not match the impedence, you can cause distortion, or worse. They have models with either fixed and adjustable levels.

As for wiring another amp is concerned, I would invest in a power block. What it does is take one power line and splits into multiple outputs. I would also install it as close to the battery as possible.

I hope that helps you out.

89accordlxi
06-14-2002, 09:57 PM
Okay, Here is what you need. First of all, get your self a line- level converter. This will take your speaker wire inputs and turn them into Rca outputs so that you can use RCA's.
Next, would be a power distribution block that takes one big cable and splits it into smaller ones. I am using a stinger one. It takes a 4guage wire and splits it into maximum of 4 10 guage wire.....

And that my friends is how it is done. :p

Peace out.

87AccordsterLx
06-14-2002, 10:27 PM
thanks guys... but.. um.. where can I get all of this stuff?? Localy... and there also seems to be several ways to do each thing... I know that I need to split that wire and I'm sure that it needs to at least be a 4g wire... so whats the cheapest and most effective way to do this??? Please reply to the location of the parts needed... is this like Radio Shack or are we talking a car audio place or what??? Thanks....:D

Bobs89LXi
06-15-2002, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by 89accordlxi
Okay, Here is what you need. First of all, get your self a line- level converter. This will take your speaker wire inputs and turn them into Rca outputs so that you can use RCA's.
Next, would be a power distribution block that takes one big cable and splits it into smaller ones. I am using a stinger one. It takes a 4guage wire and splits it into maximum of 4 10 guage wire.....

And that my friends is how it is done. :p

Didn't I just say that? :p

But seriously, good work 89accordlxi.

You can pick these components up at any car stereo store. Radio Shack is another place you can go, but make sure you talk to someone who knows at least the basics about car stereos. Otherwise when you ask for a converter, he'll show you the AC/DC converters or vice versa. :rolleyes:

89accordlxi
06-15-2002, 08:29 PM
Sorry, Bobs89lxi. I didn't mean to repeat what you said. I was just hoping to explain it a little more clearly. But yes, what you wrote was absolutely correct as well.

Yes, a car stereo shop would be a good place to start, But their prices may be a little high. If you want Stinger brand then only car audio shops will have those or online. You can also get the converter at wal-mart in the car stereo section.

Hope this helps.

peace out

Bobs89LXi
06-15-2002, 10:02 PM
I know. I was kidding when I said it. :D

87AccordsterLx
06-15-2002, 10:23 PM
ok well I think that I am going to get my Alpine deck pretty soon and it has 3 preout's for front/rear/sub so all I need now is the power block... do you guys recomend running a 4g wire from the battery to the power block and 8g wire to the amps or would 10g do for from the power box to the amps??? I have some 10g wire from the fosgate but if 8g would work better for the 400w amp then I'll do it (ground/power) for both in 8g wires... also I take it from what you said Bob that the power block is ment specifically for car audio correct?? Thanks guys...

Bobs89LXi
06-16-2002, 05:19 AM
Yes, power blocks are meant specifically for auto applications. As for the size of the wiring from the power block to the amps, the bigger the better. I would also add a large fuse (40 to 50 amps) or circuit breaker on the battery side of the block as well for added protection.