PDA

View Full Version : New A/C compressor has extra wire???

POS carb
08-17-2003, 04:39 PM
please respond as soon as you can, I'm trying to hook up the a/c in my car again to get it filled tomorrow AM and I grabbed a ND compressor from the junker and it has 2 wires coming from the compressor, not just one, and they both come out next to eachother (same hole) and they were not connected in the donor car
Now how do I know where I hook up the power to the clutch?
Also how do I measure the resistance of the clutch and what should it read? I was poking the + and - probes to the two wires and then one at a time (+) and the ground wire (-) to the body of the compressor and I was getting some abnormaly high resistance, I dunno if my compressor is bad :banghead:

Oh and if it IS bad where can I get a clutch kit for it?

POS carb
08-17-2003, 04:53 PM
oh and one more thought, say the clutch IS bad, you think I can get the clutch of my Keihin and stick it on the NipponDenso?

Mac
08-17-2003, 05:12 PM
1 wire to the connector by radiator (you know it already) and the other should be ground. Usually the ground is connected right to the body of the compressor.

To check the coil put a meter lead on each wire and you should read 3.75 ohms.

I'm not sure if the coils are interchangeable. You will have to take them off and look at them. The coil sits right behind the clutch and has 2 wires coming out of it.

Jareds 89 LX-i
08-17-2003, 07:30 PM
Here maybe this pic will help some....

http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/LinkPhoto?GUID=35dd60ce-3bef-c3df-50b9-39bdfa7266c0&size=

The wire coming out of the right side of the connector (looking at it with pulley pointing up) is for the power, and the one on the left is case grounded right there (the screw). Like mentioned above, check the resistance of the stator coil by taking the one ground wire off the case, and probe each wire with a digital volt meter and there should be approx 3.5 ohms (doesn't have to be perfectly exact, as long as it doesn't read O.L).

The coils are NOT interchangable between the POS Keihin and ND. If you do need a clutch, let me know cuz I have 2, maybe even 3 working clutches sitting in my parts shed. I don't need them anymore, you can have them if you want 'em.

POS carb
08-17-2003, 10:29 PM
thanks so much for that pic, now I know what the other wire is, all it had was a little piece of a connector but from the pic it's obvious it was the ground wire.

BTW my resistance varies between 15000000 and 40000000 ohms, I think it's shot! :lol

If you could hook that up for me I'd appreciate it, that compressor you have looks like the one I bought. It pumps air when I spin it manually but I can't get an ohm reading, I'll try measuring it betweeen the wire and where the conector should be but it's probably going to give me the same results... I'll PM you.