PDA

View Full Version : Ok, Hi people, now....This newbie needs help

JRSAccord
08-17-2003, 10:34 PM
I actually found this website months ago, but never had the time to post. Well, This has changed. I have a 1986 Accord LX 2bbl (or 3bbl Like some parts sites say???) 5spd with 254,000 original miles on it.

The motor died tonight. The oil pump finally went. But before that, the motor had been losing power for quite some time. And it doesn't get up above 5000rpm anymore. Plus the carb is still the original, which I'm sure it doesn't help much either. I guess it's just tired.

My question to all you guru's is, should I rebuild the motor or replace it with a used one? Which forum should I go to for specific answers?

P.S. I guess I need to change my signature :(

dXsquared
08-17-2003, 10:47 PM
find a low miles japanese A20... it will drop right in.. get a new clutch, and if you have the cash, get headers, camshaft and a weber carb

Travis

dXsquared
08-17-2003, 10:51 PM
http://www.enginereplacement.com/htdocs/request.htm

http://cnsmotors.com/honda.htm

^^^these guys have it for 495 bucks

Travis

MrBen
08-17-2003, 11:11 PM
Definitely get a low miles japanese engine. Even if you rebuilt your current engine, your head and everything still has the miles on it. I priced it out for me, and it's going to be about $1,500 installed. $700 for the engine and $800 for labor.

JRSAccord
08-18-2003, 12:22 AM
Thanks guys!

So I presume you mean the A20A1? Or should I go for the EFI motor and change over. Would that be hard? And is there any benefit over carburated?

I'll call these places in the morning and see how much it will cost to ship to California. (watch it be more than the motor)

And last but not least, is there any internals or other parts I should replace before installing the new motor?

Thanks, JR

A20A1
08-18-2003, 02:55 AM
If you find a A20A3 in better condition then you might want to get that... you'll get a small increase in power... but basicly you just swap on the old intake manifold, carb, exhasut manifold, thermostat housing, distributor, and cam from the A20A1 onto the A20A3.

Read the HOw to section and see if you are up to doing the EFI swap... if not you can probably sell the EFI parts you removed from the A20A3 when you converted it to carb.

sanjay
08-18-2003, 04:46 AM
Why not put an aftermarket engine in your car, like a b-series and get some mounts from Oldschoolswap...? or is this too "high cash"?

markmdz89hatch
08-18-2003, 04:53 AM
JR, Honestly I'd do what A20A1 is suggesting. If you go to a local junkyard and pick up a low-mileage A20A3, then just slap on all your carb components from your original engine, you'll get more power due to the different head, and higher compression of the A3 motor, and you'll be able to avoid an EFI swap as well. The motor should only cost 2-400 depending on the yard you go to. Either way, this is probably your cheapest, most cost/power effective option.

cubert
08-18-2003, 05:33 AM
if you want to stay with the 3g...id say just look for another one....itd be easier then swapping.

Vinny
08-18-2003, 06:31 AM
I'd have to weigh everything VERY carefully, you may get a "deal" from a salvage yard but even "low miles " (whatever is considered "low" for a car thats 14-17 years old) you may end up in the same boat. Just because the miles are low doesn't mean the motor was taken care of. It may last you 6mths it may last you 6 years, you never know. If you have the skills or know a reputable mechanic a rebuild might be better, especiialy if having the car on the road isn't an absolute necessity. Overall I guess it depends on how in love you are with the car and what shape its in as to what the best way to go is

JRSAccord
08-18-2003, 07:40 AM
Unfortunately, I don't have the cash to replace the car outright. So an engine swap is the only alternative at this point.

Thanks Travis for the links. I see that CNS have a distribution center up here in Northern California. I'll call this morning to see what they have in stock.

I've worked on cars all my life. So I'm not intimidated when it comes to something as big as this. I even restored (including the Ford 351cu V8 w/Cleveland heads) a 1971 Detomaso Pantera L along with my brother-in-law.

But I didn't understand the carb vs. efi statement. What I was thinking is if I should convert my car to efi instead of replacing the carb. An efi motor is $100 more on the CNS website.

Is it hard to convert over to efi? and is it worth the extra cash? I know that these carbs can cost several hundred dollars new.

Thanks for all your help, JR

MrBen
08-18-2003, 08:10 AM
I think when you switch over to EFI, You must get a new EFI gas tank. About 100 bucks on ebay.

dXsquared
08-18-2003, 08:50 AM
plus you have to rip apart the interior and change the wire harness, run a new feed line, new fuel pump, new ECU, its a real PAIN IN THE ASS...

Travis

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
08-18-2003, 01:38 PM
Dude get a B- series.. the hell with the A20.. That shit is slow!

JRSAccord
08-18-2003, 01:53 PM
I noticed that there is a B20A3 that is the same price as e A20A1. Is this what you are talking about? And will it fit right in with my five-speed tranny? Both cost $495 at CNS Motors.

Oh, what's the difference in HP/Torque between the two?

CNS Motors won't have an A20 until the 25th at the earliest!!!

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
08-18-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by JRSAccord
I noticed that there is a B20A3 that is the same price as e A20A1. Is this what you are talking about? And will it fit right in with my five-speed tranny? Both cost $495 at CNS Motors.

Oh, what's the difference in HP/Torque between the two?

CNS Motors won't have an A20 until the 25th at the earliest!!!

No! I am talking about a vtec B- Series!

JRSAccord
08-18-2003, 02:24 PM
Tell me what to look for and I'll price it. And the other question still stands....Will it fit my car?

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
08-18-2003, 02:27 PM
Tell me what to look for and I'll price it. And the other question still stands....Will it fit my car?

http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_b/260000-260999/260423_46_full.jpg

JRSAccord
08-18-2003, 02:41 PM
Whoa.....

Impressive!!! What "specific" B-model is that?

But wait, I'll have to convert my car to EFI. Won't I???

MrBen
08-18-2003, 02:43 PM
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?threadid=86

MrBen
08-18-2003, 02:45 PM
"Since the B20A shares it's intake manifold with the A20A, you can use your stock carbed intake and slam a Webber 32-36 DCOE on it. THis will make sure the B20A gets enough fuel and you don't even need to convert your car to EFI."

JRSAccord
08-18-2003, 04:16 PM
First of all, I want to thank everyone that has posted here. Your input has been priceless.

As for my decision, I'm going to just replace the oil pump since it's the cheapest way to get the car running again. Providing that nothing else has destroyed itself as well.

Next I will pursue trying to find one of these 'Japanese' JDM B20A motor and replace the carb with the Webber as stated in the How-To. I may need some help from you guys trying to find one of these B20A's since they're most likely imported.

Has anyone completed a Carb'd JDM B20A swap yet? And if so, who is it and do they have pictures?

Thanks, JR

markmdz89hatch
08-19-2003, 07:08 AM
yep, AERODECKUK has done this in his Aerodeck. I know, he's already overseas where the B20 was an option in the 3G's over there, but he had a carbed A20A1 Aerodeck, and had picked up a 4dr 3G that had the B20 stock in it. He used that car and swapped everything over from that car into his Aerodeck, but kept it carbed. B/c he was running the stock A20 carb on the higher power B20, he was choking out from running too lean but kept it that way.

I'll see if I can track down some pics....

Morpheus
08-19-2003, 07:16 AM
BTW your car is 2 bbl not 3.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
08-19-2003, 07:32 AM
Why buy a B20a when you can drive this Beast!!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid74/p97ae509fa6c83d41fd9585eda01c9ef1/fb632f59.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid75/p441e1fd8d564e486da69d22823285792/fb57fe0f.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid74/pcc351e9603431d17d6ecc540576f5858/fb632f54.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid74/p47d83c8ba04b4193d834693335e4270d/fb632f5e.jpg

Dats a facking rare car.. The Only B18c1 Accord Coupe in the Country! Now those are bragging rights!

cubert
08-20-2003, 05:26 AM
Unfortunately, I don't have the cash to replace the car outright. So an engine swap is the only alternative at this point.....

First of all, I want to thank everyone that has posted here. Your input has been priceless.

As for my decision, I'm going to just replace the oil pump since it's the cheapest way to get the car running again. Providing that nothing else has destroyed itself as well.

Next I will pursue trying to find one of these 'Japanese' JDM B20A motor and replace the carb with the Webber as stated in the How-To. I may need some help from you guys trying to find one of these B20A's since they're most likely imported.

Has anyone completed a Carb'd JDM B20A swap yet? And if so, who is it and do they have pictures?

Thanks, JR

youre telling me you dont have 500-1000 bucks to go pick up a beater car...but you have the money to swap a b series into a 3rd gen accord....hmm.mabye im missing something here...

mabye you should buy the b18 accord shown above...it truely is a beast:lol

johndej
08-20-2003, 07:06 PM
hey ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› can you stop always suggesting a "bigger/better" swap in these things. i know itd be awsome if everyone could but thats not the way it is and i've seen you talk about it onlike every thread you post on. oh well, i would suggest you go with what you got right now and look for a nicer A20 or B20 if available. if you really want to push your swapping abilitys you can go for a B series but its not for everyone.

dXsquared
08-20-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
Why buy a B20a when you can drive this Beast!!

gg.jpg
gg.jpg
gg.jpg

Dats a facking rare car.. The Only B18c1 Accord Coupe in the Country! Now those are bragging rights!

YOU CANT DRIVE IT THOUGH!!! maybe if you didnt waste your cash on a GSR engine, you could fix your suspension!!

Travis

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
08-20-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by DXHATCHBACK
YOU CANT DRIVE IT THOUGH!!! maybe if you didnt waste your cash on a GSR engine, you could fix your suspension!!

Travis

Still better than your car!

dXsquared
08-20-2003, 07:53 PM
let me refer you to this thread
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22325

now, your undrivable car is better than mine???

my car is in way better mechanical condition than your car.. so what if its rusted out.. i have brand new suspension, a 150 km engine and all the bolt ons for a carbed engine... so what if it goes fast if you cant plant the power and if you cant drive your POS accord...

I would definetly want a car that i can get in, rip around corners and not have to worry about it that drive a worn out car like yours...

:flipa:

Travis

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
08-20-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by DXHATCHBACK
let me refer you to this thread
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22325

now, your undrivable car is better than mine???

my car is in way better mechanical condition than your car.. so what if its rusted out.. i have brand new suspension, a 150 km engine and all the bolt ons for a carbed engine... so what if it goes fast if you cant plant the power and if you cant drive your POS accord...

I would definetly want a car that i can get in, rip around corners and not have to worry about it that drive a worn out car like yours...

:flipa:

Travis

Hmmm Worn out? yet yours is rusted... The Tie Rods & Control Arms were damaged by the tow truck not wear and tear.. The car is drivable , but not drivable enough to make a 3 hour trip. How does your slow carbed piece of rusted shit rip around corners? What the S in Type S stand for? Slow?

dXsquared
08-20-2003, 08:07 PM
why did you need a tow??

Travis