PDA

View Full Version : Removing Black outside window Trim, trying to fix rust

PogiLXI
08-17-2003, 10:44 PM
hey yall, how do I remove the black window trim on the outside, I gotta take it off so I can fix some rust holes, same with the Trunk Glass on the HATCHBACK.

NeubJ
08-18-2003, 11:04 AM
I have heard most people just use a razor blade to clean it up.

PogiLXI
08-18-2003, 03:11 PM
nah, I need to REMOVE IT. To get to the Rust under it.

PogiLXI
08-23-2003, 02:17 PM
bump

MIK3
08-23-2003, 08:34 PM
Yes. A good razor blade would get most of it off, and leave about 1/6 of an inch on either sides. We had a thread that mentioned maybe heat gunning it off. But the paint and glass was an issue...

MrBen
08-23-2003, 10:15 PM
I think he's talking about the trim itself, not the plastic coating on it...

Or, if you're not, yeah... the razor blade method works good, just don't accidently scrape something you don't mean to and scream "FUC*!!!" lol

PogiLXI
08-23-2003, 10:19 PM
Im talkin bout the whole peace, not that black stuff.

MIK3
08-23-2003, 10:46 PM
Ah...rip off those corner pieces. Those are where the 4 trims meet. From there, just gentally pull it off...and when you need to reatach it, just use and adheasive. Now I haven't done this...so I don't know how risky it is.

PogiLXI
08-23-2003, 10:52 PM
adheasive, Like some kind of TAPE or glue, or something else that can fail later on, no thanks. I think there are clips, I dunno, but thanks every one.

2oodoor
06-27-2008, 03:50 PM
anybody have some more recent experience with this? My window trim mouldings are peeling off and I do see how a razor could be used to pick it off. That would seem like a tedious process, how about removing the trim and using paint remover, media blast, or a small herd of mice to chew it off. I want to paint it, no chrome.. besides since it is chrome underneath why did they put a black plastic uv sensative coating on it?
I did a little of this on my 5th gen civic, that coating was relentless, all of it has to be removed because it does not take paint well at all.

2drSE-i
06-27-2008, 09:42 PM
if you guys are talking about the small window trim, you open your door and remove the two screws in the side, then GENTLY slide the trim (at the bottom of the window) towards the door. i say gently because if not you break the clips.

lostforawhile
07-06-2008, 05:25 PM
i'm looking at a new three m tape which is like trim attachment epoxy on a roll. those dam clips usually break no matter how careful you are and are very expensive to replace. most of mine are broken now. modern quality trim adhesives have the opposite problem of if you have to take the trim off later,good luck. they are nothing like the trim adhesives a lot of domestic car companies used in the eighties and early nineties. the ones that are missing trim now.

84Accord
07-06-2008, 05:55 PM
i'm looking at a new three m tape which is like trim attachment epoxy on a roll. those dam clips usually break no matter how careful you are and are very expensive to replace. most of mine are broken now. modern quality trim adhesives have the opposite problem of if you have to take the trim off later,good luck. they are nothing like the trim adhesives a lot of domestic car companies used in the eighties and early nineties. the ones that are missing trim now.

if youre talking about hte red 3m double sided tape it works amazing!

ive used it to put my emblems, window trim and even my buddies platic side trim pieces on.

it lasts forever. through water, dirt, rain, everything, i recommend it very highly