PDA

View Full Version : Where is my freaking Tranny dipstick?

87DXHatch
06-14-2002, 03:32 PM
I looked and looked but I cannot find my automatic transmission fluid dipstick! Could someone highlight one on a photo or something? I have a carbed 87 auto.

Thanks

OldSchoolSwap
06-14-2002, 03:44 PM
On automatics i'm not sure, but I don't think it looks like a regular dip stick. I think It'll look like a black small plug on the tranny.

Bobs89LXi
06-14-2002, 08:08 PM
Here is the diagram from the Haynes manual

Einstein
06-15-2002, 05:05 AM
Don't wear a long-sleeve shirt to do this. You have to meander your arm on the left side between the radiator and the transmission (leftish side of the engine). Chances are it's hard to tell what the dipstick cap is, cuz it's dirty and not colored. If you're lucky, you can unscrew it without too much trouble. Mine took 10 minutes of trying to get a good hand position so I could grip it!!! Read your owner's manual for the proper way to check it. It says on level ground, and you are supposed to take it out, clean it, then put it back in without screwing it in. Pull it back out and read.

DBMaster
06-15-2002, 06:18 PM
I always use a pair of pliers to break it loose and tighten it back by hand. You're right about not wearing a long sleeve shirt, though. You will get some part of your arm dirty getting to it.

87DXHatch
06-15-2002, 06:35 PM
I will be doing that as soon as I can. Methinks my car is in major need of transmission fluid: she likes to "buck"

87DXHatch
06-16-2002, 09:13 PM
Well, I found it.... but I can't get it off! That thing is on there so tight and there is like no room to get any leverage on it! Any suggestions?

Thanks for all the help.

AccordChemist
06-18-2002, 03:33 PM
i suggest a apir of pliers or a weightbench...:p

accordlx
06-18-2002, 07:32 PM
Channel Locks or Vise Grips.

87DXHatch
06-18-2002, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by mike89lxi
i suggest a apir of pliers or a weightbench...:p

Ooooo, that's cold Obi-wan. :flip: Seriously, though, I do work out, just not my WRISTS! I can bench 160 as of now. I weigh 140.

One of my resourceful friends grabbed a pliers and just jammed his hands down there and got it off. When I was doing it I was being careful not to move any thing around.

I discovered that my transmission is in dire need of fluid. I am hoping this will solve the "bucking when switching gears" problem. I don't know if it had ever been removed before!