PDA

View Full Version : Hot Day + A/C + Cooling

mindlos
08-19-2003, 10:54 AM
Yesterday we had 96*F which felt like 101*F with the humidity. Turning on the A/C in the car pretty much resulted in the temp gauge creeping up towards overheating so I had to use it intermittently. Even at 70mph there was not enough air to cool the car when I had the A/C on. Without A/C things were OK (and sticky). Is this to be expected with these ambient temps on our cars or should I look into my cooling system?

A20A1
08-19-2003, 11:12 AM
check the thermostat... maybe if you haven't touched it in a long time. hmm hook the primary fan to be always on... and make sure your a/c fan is working

Spray some water and clean your condensor and radiator to help the fins transfer heat better.

legend9
08-19-2003, 11:12 AM
You gotta be careful with these 3 geez. I left my accord running with the A/C on while I run in the store ( had two ladies in the car, have to leave the AC on...=D). So 5 minutes later, one of them came running in and told me the car was "smoking." I ran out and there it was it: one of the radiator pipe burst, and all my coolant was gone. I will never leave this car with A/C on on long idle anymore.....

mindlos
08-19-2003, 11:20 AM
I actually just changed the thermostat from a 195* to a 180* yesterday before my daily drive because it had happened before on a really hot day. The fans run constantly when A/C is on. I think I'll invest in a coolant flush kit and cleaner crap. I'll also make sure that radiators are free of debris with a water hose.

DBMaster
08-19-2003, 12:05 PM
You should not have any problem with overheating like that. I run mine idling, in traffic, etc. on the routine 100 degree summer days we have here and the temperature needle still stays below the middle of the gauge. Overheating is not generally a problem with Hondas unless the cooling system has been severely neglected in the past.

Changing the thermostat to a lower temp will do nothing to help you and will end up hurting you in cooler weather because you don't want the thing opening until your coolant temp is 195. Unless there was something wrong with your previous thermostat having it open sooner will not help you with the extended idling problem.

Make sure that BOTH fans come on when you are idling and the A/C compressor is engaged. It is common for the auxiliary (driver's side, smaller) fan motor to fail. Make sure your condenser and radiator fins are clean and the coolant is clean. Also, open up the radiator (when the engine is cool, of course) and make sure the coolant level is all the way to the top and that you can see the tops if the tubes and they look clean and free of corrosion.

The other thing you can do is switch to synthetic oil - if you are not already using it. It is claimed to reduce engine temps from 20-50 degrees on a hot day. A friend of mine had a broken fan shroud once and running regular oil the car would overheat in traffic, but would be fine with synthetic.

A20A1
08-19-2003, 12:14 PM
MPG ---> MPH
I thought 70 was a bit too fuel efficient. :lol

mindlos
08-19-2003, 12:52 PM
For that to happen it wouldnt even be running lean, it would be anorexic.

mindlos
08-21-2003, 11:49 AM
BOTH fans work and the rads are pretty clean. I guess I'll flush the system and wait for the next cookout.

BootMachine
08-21-2003, 12:07 PM
I have a prelude with the A20A engine and I used to have a problem with overheating so I did the following

- replace coolant lines
- flush block and head
- take rad out and clean all the fins
- clean the fan blades and motors (I have 2 LARGE fans)
- two new thermostats (80 for summer and 160 for winter)
- brand new coolant

SInce then....I have NEVER EVER FOR ANY REASON had a problem with my car overheating...EVER!

On the hottest days I can tear around ALL DAY in my car shifting at redline and the temp stays put!

soljaboy2000
07-07-2004, 07:08 PM
You gotta be careful with these 3 geez. I left my accord running with the A/C on while I run in the store ( had two ladies in the car, have to leave the AC on...=D). So 5 minutes later, one of them came running in and told me the car was "smoking." I ran out and there it was it: one of the radiator pipe burst, and all my coolant was gone. I will never leave this car with A/C on on long idle anymore.....
sorry to bring up an old thread....but yeah one time I locked my keys in the car while the car was running and A/C on.....I could see the temp guage rising as i frantically was trying break in the pass. door....and then.... *BOOM*...white smoke everywhere burning me even a little.....I eventually ended breaking the rear triangular glass with a rock and shut the car off.....I open the hood only to find a hole a little larger than a silver dollar in the radiator itself. I ended replacing the radiator, new fluid and new thermostat....everythings fine now and no overheating while idling... :rockon:

smufguy
07-07-2004, 07:29 PM
For that to happen it wouldnt even be running lean, it would be anorexic.

or just fell off a 70 mile high cliff with a gallon of fuel lost in transit. :kekeke: