PDA

View Full Version : and here comes the 3rd gen problem...

Neuspeed007
08-21-2003, 11:30 PM
i decided to take the accord to work yesterday and there is this speedbump that is really big, i missed it or forgot and hit it hard. I bottomed out pretty bad

after work i got in the car and took off, noticing a diffrence in RPM, and a slight stall on go. THERE IS NO FIRST GEAR, IT SKIPS IT! when i move the car is 2 times slower now, on go; it skips 1st gear and goes from 0 - 4 RPM the way it owuld in 2nd off go.
PLUS
when i put my foot on the pedal on go, there is a sudden stall then a go.

technically, i thought that i damaged the exhaust pipe under the car and checked it out, there was a small dent but nothing to worry about, the piping was fine, so my second guess was maybe i damaged the transmission, so i checked it out, the transmission was ok, there was no dent, and i drained all the fluid and replaced it with new stuff.

THAT DIDNT WORK,

so now after heavily thinking in my garage, i came up with the conclusion that i knocked off a few vacume lines connecting to the carbourator......:confused: just a guess.... I took a look and found one line not connected but cant find anymore.

does this sound accurate for my situation ? I really need help moderators..

I plan on a 5spd swap sooner or later and an engine swap as well, but this isnt acceptable.

any thoughts?????

plz help

thank you

nick-

Neuspeed007
08-21-2003, 11:33 PM
do u think i might have screwed up the linkage????????

A20A1
08-22-2003, 12:40 AM
yes
... you might also want to check the other cables.

Even if its just a dent its possible you could have pinched part of the exhaust closed... I have a ding in my downpipe and I looked inside and the inner pipe was partly squished.

check to make sure the engine is sitting on it's mounts properly...

Neuspeed007
08-22-2003, 12:43 AM
i checked the down pipe, its very minor, nothing to worry about, but in time i will fix, so are u positive i screwed up the linkage?

i will check the cabels tomrrow morning, anything i should look for?

thx michael

A20A1
08-22-2003, 12:46 AM
it's possible you might have pulled the linkage... and bent something either inside the trans or on the shifter... I think if you remove the flywheel dust cover you can see the shifter linkage without removing the trans.

Neuspeed007
08-22-2003, 12:51 AM
ya, ill take a look into that, when i see the linkage how will i know if it is pulled or not?

A20A1
08-22-2003, 01:05 AM
not sure... and i can't use mine as an example cause I've wacked a few speed bumps too.

I'd hate for you to go thru all that trouble and it not be the problem...

Do you have a shop or chiltons manual to tell you how to set the shifer cable from inside the car? Just hope the bolts that hold the shifter cable to the car are still in place, since they are a pain to get to cause the exhaust heat shield covers them up.

A20A1
08-22-2003, 01:10 AM
I wonder if your kick down cable could have been affected... does it run to the rear of the carb or to the firewall? I'm kinda iffy in the whole idea though... but thats another reason why your car will shift irregularly.

A20A1
08-22-2003, 01:15 AM
check the shifter side first cause its easier then going uder the car... there should be a metal clip along with a pin that is held in by the clip... i gues just make sure they are where they should be... I know thats not helping much. :( Have you tried driving in D4 and D3... does both positions only give you 2nd gear without first?

Neuspeed007
08-22-2003, 01:23 AM
both d4 an d3 start off withough 1st, i will check out what i can tomrrow i plan on having some mechanics help me out also, but i will tell them ur suggestions

i will most likely look in chiltons manual and try and work from the inside, but if all else fails i will work the out. thank you for your help.

Neuspeed007
08-22-2003, 07:04 PM
ok here is the thing, we belive that the shifter cable has been effected, so im going to go out and adjust that right now! but my question to you is...do u think i damaged the throttle cable as well? OR could it be that over time my clutch assembly in my transmission has worn away and needs replacing.

today after doing a bit of bodywork to the car, i drove off and felt FIRST GEAR KICK IN!! it actually worked for 10 min or so then went back to no first off go. THATS WEIRD any ideas?

thx

Neuspeed007
08-22-2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by A20A1
check the shifter side first cause its easier then going uder the car... there should be a metal clip along with a pin that is held in by the clip... i gues just make sure they are where they should be..

i just need to make sure that the holes in the cable and the pin are alligned

smufguy
08-22-2003, 08:01 PM
im totally not following u dude :( sorry u mean ur gears wont engage?

A20A1
08-23-2003, 01:06 AM
Check you fluid level again... maybe all the cable needs is a re-adjustment...

one sweet 88 accord
08-23-2003, 02:56 AM
either ur cable needs readjusting or u just plainly lost first gear which probably means clutch

shepherd79
08-23-2003, 04:11 AM
there is no clutch in auto trans.
if you have 5 speed, you have some major problems.

Neuspeed007
08-23-2003, 08:01 AM
no i drive an auto, so there is no clutch, but my assembly in the trans could be shot and worn down. so i hear... so thats something to look into, but A20A1, i do belive that it just needs readjusting. Are u talking about my tans fluid?

A20A1
08-23-2003, 10:06 AM
yeah since you still need to fill the torque convertor cause that holds quite a bit of fluid.

NOAHS88accord
08-23-2003, 10:25 AM
i took my dipstick out for my transmission, and its just like a rubber cap. and I look in the hole, and it looks to be covered by a metal circle thing. Is that the dipstick that just came undone from the rubber top? or did somebody jam something down there and clog up my fill hole? I need to fill the trans up but can't cause only a tiny bit of fluid will go around the circle thing.

Yeah I know it sounds like a noob question.

Neuspeed007
08-23-2003, 12:26 PM
not sure, i wouldnt know unless i saw it, but nothing should be in the way of the dipstick. take it to a tranny shop and have them look at it. either that or take it out and see what it is.

A20A1
08-23-2003, 12:47 PM
You had a rubber cap? Mine is metal with a tab and on the flat part of the cap is words like HONDA ATF or somehthing.

DanG86LX
08-23-2003, 03:53 PM
"..there is no clutch in auto trans.." :lol :lol :lol

Let me rephrase it:
"..there is no one clutch in auto trans.. but 4 (four)"
I know cuz my 2nd clutch is doomed!:mad:

Neuspeed007
08-24-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by DanG86LX
[B]"..there is no clutch in auto trans.." :lol :lol :lol

Let me rephrase it:
"..there is no one clutch in auto trans.. but 4 (four)"

:banghead: :banghead: :stick:

smufguy
08-25-2003, 06:43 AM
what are you talkin about???? :confused:

accordlxi2.0
08-26-2003, 10:12 AM
okay you guy's i don't mean to compare our car's to the gm or ford. But from what nuespeed007 described was basically an electronic problem.
GM: '89 chevy beretta 1st gear was out but when the car was cold it would work for like 5-10 min's then stay in first. a solenoid was out.
ford '91 sable gs ford designed the trans for when there was a prob. it would go i second.
when taking out,it would rev high then second & ^ would be fine.
for all we know the ground cable probaly came off.
or a loose solenoid valve.
hope u find ur problem

Cyric_accord
08-26-2003, 01:13 PM
Another thing you might try, which I don't know if this applies to you... but I was feeling 2nd gear kind of stumble sometimes... I talked to my friend chris and he suggested replacing my Auto Trans. Filter. I did and corrected the problem immeadiately... But i don't know if that would have anything to do with you loosing an entire gear....