PDA

View Full Version : Single cam screamer / D-series idea

rick_spiff
08-22-2003, 02:16 PM
Call me crazy... go ahead...

Now that I'm in the terminal stages of shoehorning an H22 into my 3G, I'm considering the use of a SMALLER ENGINE in the next project car.

So, the idea is to use an abandoned D15 or D16 engine (from older Civics/Tegs), turbocharged, to make up the heart of a potent 3G toy car.

Buy D15. Do rebuild, including lower compression pistons (8.5:1? 8.0:1?) and stout rings. Maybe use some reinforcement on the cylinder walls... then add a Garret T25 from an SR20DET. Electronics are a bit of a mystery. Probably Hondata if money's not an object, modified stock computer with some fpr tricks if it is....

This type of configuration reportedly makes 170whp @ 6-7psi. With the 8.5:1 cr and a different turbo, who's to say that 250whp is not possible? I think it is. At only 12psi? Hmm...

There's a few production cars rotting in junkyards these days with Mitsu turbos just begging to be put to good use.

And, the D-series is SMALL. It will FIT inside the engine compartment without doing 40 hours of BANGING, CUTTING, and WELDING!

It's an idea.

Sean
08-23-2003, 06:53 PM
This type of configuration reportedly makes 170whp @ 6-7psi. With the 8.5:1 cr and a different turbo, who's to say that 250whp is not possible? I think it is. At only 12psi? Hmm...

im pounding oin mustang gts likes flys with a a20a.

toastyghost
08-26-2003, 09:41 PM
And by "screamer" you mean screaming for help because you are being ass-raped, correct? :lol

3G Jester
08-26-2003, 11:57 PM
hahaha man...first off....i wanna see pics of this allegged h22 swap...im not calling BS..but i wanna see 3 pennies. its sooo explensive and talked about by everyone. a few people are attempting it..and they provided pics. not to be an asshole...jsut dont go saying your trying the most expensive, exstensive and difficult swap without proof to back yourself up.

secondly....d series suck man. they arent bad...i mean honda puts a lot of efforts into all their engines..but they dont have great pick up and a b series would do you just fine for your car.

pimp86LX
08-27-2003, 12:45 AM
buy seans A20 Turbo kit.!!!!!!

I think he said he's runnin 6-8psi using a Garrett T03 and beating 'stangs all over the place.

3G Jester
08-27-2003, 12:51 AM
wasnt justin [88turboaccord] selling his too?

yeah a turbo'd a series or b series would be less work and just as good out put as any d.

markmdz89hatch
08-27-2003, 07:07 AM
rick, I'm with the other guys on this one too. Basically what you explained you want to do is take a relatively "aftermarket-abandonned" motor, add a turbo, and pop it into the 3G. I really like the idea, it's a great concept. But, what's the difference between doing that, and just doing all the work mentioned to the original A20A. That'll save you the trouble of the $$ to get the D in, and give you the extra 1/2 liter of displacement to stick with the A20.

Kevin
08-27-2003, 07:16 PM
I would turbo a fully built Gsr moter or a b16!!! My buddy has an integra that pushes about 310 at the wheels with 9 lbs of boost!!! He runs 11.9 with @ 10-15 lbs

Sean
08-27-2003, 08:13 PM
blah b series. junk junk junk junk junk junk junk

Dibbs
08-28-2003, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by Sean
blah b series. junk junk junk junk junk junk junk

:werd:

A series w/ Sean's turbo setup should yeild the same hp as the D series, plus the cast iron black of the A series should handle more torque than the aluminum block of the D series.

Kevin
08-28-2003, 02:41 PM
B16 and B18 are a hell of alot better than the B20!!!! Hell, If it easier i wood be doing the H22!!! That moter can kick some serious ass!!! Just depends on what your doing!! Anything can be fast!! Even building an A20 for an all moter setup!!

NXRacer
08-28-2003, 02:58 PM
If you're so hell bent on H22, get yourself a 4 or 5g and save yourself the headache.

A20A1
08-28-2003, 10:01 PM
All MOTOR

3G Jester
08-28-2003, 10:43 PM
will said mike :)

smufguy
08-30-2003, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by Kevin
I would turbo a fully built Gsr moter or a b16!!! My buddy has an integra that pushes about 310 at the wheels with 9 lbs of boost!!! He runs 11.9 with @ 10-15 lbs

310hp with 9lbs of boost. What kinda motor are we tlakin about with what kinda compression?

--------------------------------------
A series w/ Sean's turbo setup should yeild the same hp as the D series, plus the cast iron black of the A series should handle more torque than the aluminum block of the D series - Dibbie
----------------------------------------------

The A series having a much larger Displacement than a D-series, no way the D series makes the same hp as Sean's turbo set up on a A-series. besides, ur torque handling is on the tranny not the block. The block means how much boost u can handle (speaking on the grounds of turbo)

SQ is the SQUAD
09-10-2003, 03:32 PM
a nice d16z6 with a little work will work wonders over the a20a with a lil work. i know, ive built a couple of nice d series engines. the d16z6 is the best and they are easy and cheep and have a lot more aftermarket suport than the a20a

rick_spiff
09-10-2003, 05:13 PM
Basically, the D-series sounds good because:

1. It's a bit smaller (although smaller displacement)
2. You may be able to find more, or get 1 cheaper than A20 (they're newer)
3. As for claims that the D-series handles more boost or makes more horsepower at a given level of boost than the A20... I haven't built any myself, and concrete judgement on the subject shall be considered heresay until someone rips BOTH of these built engines apart and explains why one performs better/why both have the same performance.

Just curious myself what a boosted, D-series powered 3G could do/drive like.

Hey, I was curious about the H22A and look what happened...

http://www.geocities.com/rick_spiff/car/index.html
(need to update--new pics, THE ENGINE IS ACTUALLY MOUNTED INTO THE CAR, and she's been moved out of the shop into the in-law's backyard awaiting the 'finishing touches')

And for the love of Pete, if anyone can tell me what the wire labeled "Electrical Load Detector" goes to, it'll help this engine get running that much quicker.

~out