PDA

View Full Version : frustration....

87AccordChik
06-14-2002, 07:56 PM
i want to get my car repainted so i went to a few body shops today....they said the price would be about $1800 for a repaint of the color it is now (blade silver)....well i want to paint it white and i asked about that and they said it would lower the retail value to like rock bottom i guess...so im kinda pissed...can you guys tell me about your repaints and how much it cost? and like what the original color was and then what color you guys had it painted to????:confused: Thanx....

88WhiteLX-i
06-14-2002, 10:33 PM
What the hell is that dude talking about saying that it will ower the retail value?!?!?:wtf: If anything at all it will make the book value of your car go up. I had my car resprayed with the factory white color "Polar White". It's nice, but I think I should've got pearl white, oh well it looks nice though. Well a total repaint to a different color is going to cost you more becuase they have to paint door jambs and all the masking they have to do, that's what sucks up most of the time the prepping.

damackz
06-15-2002, 10:07 PM
yeah that is tha price normally with all the door jams painted and stuff, for my car i didnt bother painting it cuz i went from factory bluish grey to electron blue not much of a diff and it saved me $$$ but then i will paint them ma self wit a spray bomb......it will make ur car sell for more, u might want to do it a nicer silver, but white is nice.......check more bodyshops and see if u can use connections to find body shops cuz that saves u major $$$ good luck tho :pimp:

DrMunky
06-16-2002, 03:20 PM
Don't worry about your resale value. These cars are so old that you can't get more than a few grand for them anyway.

killerb09
06-19-2002, 04:02 AM
do all the prep work your self...any body work and stuff your self...then mask the car off your self...you should be able to get them to apint it then for under a grand

DBMaster
06-19-2002, 05:59 AM
Yeah, I'm with these guys. You can't do much to lower the retail value of these cars. You gotta enjoy it for yourself and if a new color will help, go for it!

gr3k0sLaV
06-19-2002, 06:03 AM
DrMunky, I got offered $6k for mine,

There is a carb'ed 1986 hatch back at a local car dealer and he sold it for $7500 with a SHIT repsray!

ummm another place told one for $7999 with 250,000km on it white with DOG ugly interior!

then again im talking in Australian dollars, 3geez still fetch a decent amount, they fetch about the same price of a 89-91 Nissan Silvia.

DBMaster
06-19-2002, 07:58 AM
Kelley Blue Book shows a $2,980 US private party resale value for mine. It is a little better than what I thought.

DrMunky
06-19-2002, 05:35 PM
I'm not talking about private sale value, I'm talking about trade-in value. That's usually what people worry about. Unless you get lucky, you probably won't get more than a few grand for trade-in. You're much better off finding a private buyer. Either way, I wouldn't worry about "lowering" the value. A new GOOD paint job will make it sell way better than a shitty 14 year-old job. :D

87AccordChik
06-19-2002, 06:42 PM
hey guys i got some more estimates, and the guy i will probley go to says 1000 for any color, and 1600 if i want the door jambs painted....im still deciding but i think im just gonna do the jambs myself....anyways thanx for the input!

damackz
06-19-2002, 07:17 PM
yep juss get a color matched spray bomb and do it urself.....but 600 juss for doo jambs thats alot!!!! and since ur paying that much u better be getting a base/clear paintjob good luck :pimp:

Shagen
07-19-2002, 03:48 PM
If you can afford to repaint do it, paint ups your value not downs it, plus if it is your project car who cares about selling

markmdz89hatch
07-19-2002, 08:58 PM
ok, first, do you have a 2dr, 4dr, hatch? That makes a big diff. on price for spraying the jambs. If you do all the prep work yourself, and (i know this sounds bad, but trust me, it'll make the job look 10x better) if you take off things like whatever moldings you could get off without breaking the clips that hold them on, the front indicators, the taillights, the plate frame, antenna base, washer nozzles, door sills, and whatever else they would have had to tape off... ... then, take 400 grit WET-sand paper, and wet sand the shit out of the car, the WHOLE car, do whatever patching you need to, then the price will be cut just abou in half

All I paid was 500 at macco, and b/c all they had to do was paint, it came out awesome.

markmdz89hatch
07-19-2002, 09:03 PM
...one more thing, if you have any (and I mean any) rust on your car, unless you can sand it off and put rust inhibitor on it, then DO NOT use body filler to cover whatever you can't eliminate. I made that mistake, thinking that it would at least last a few years b4 the rust came back. I was VERY wrong, it was only a matter of about 8 mo. and I started to see it poking it's ugly head through that once-flawless "perfect white". Oh yeah, another thing, if you want to paint it white, don't go with the honda white, use GM white, it's not as yellow and dull as honda's. This is PURE white, almost glows at night. ...makes me happy :o).

netfreak
07-19-2002, 09:13 PM
I also agree with the rust statement. Remove it ALL before painting because it will only come back worse.