PDA

View Full Version : starting problem

RustyHo88
08-22-2003, 08:25 PM
my old 84 is at it again. this time, im pretty sure i know what the problem is though. anyway, sometimes when i try to start it, i turn it to the start position, and the lights on the dash come on, but it doesnt try to turn over. usually though, after doing it a few times, it will finally turn over... but its really rough for a few seconds. now, i know the carb has problems, but i dont think that would be causing the starting problem. ive changed the ignition switch and the fuel pump and fuel filters within the last 10,000 miles or so. so, im thinking main relay. any other suggestions on what it might be?

joebeets
08-22-2003, 11:51 PM
Could be starter solenoid sticking. Hit it with a hammer and see.

RustyHo88
08-23-2003, 10:51 AM
hit it with a hammer? ill try it, but it might seem kind of ghetto if every time my car wont start, i get out and whack my starter with a hammer. oh well, thats the price for driving an old car i guess.

joebeets
08-24-2003, 05:31 AM
If it is sticking as well on the *engaged* position, that might explain the rough running for a few seconds. The starter is still spinning and drawing down the overall car voltage from 12 V. Just a theory.

RustyHo88
08-24-2003, 10:02 AM
so, maybe i should get a new starter huh? i replaced the stator with one from a junkyard about 3 years ago... the one before that was the stock one. how do i know if it is the startor or not? any suggestions?

joebeets
08-24-2003, 11:24 AM
Your starter may be fine. It's the solenoid, a small cylinder attached to it that acts as relay, you need to test. There's a small wire attached that should light up a test light in the Start position. If you get the light but nothing happens, it's bad.

New one recommended, as they all go eventually, and they're not expensive. Labor is a PITA I'm sure.

RustyHo88
08-24-2003, 12:33 PM
ah, i know what you are talking about. i have had that little wire come out before without me knowing it, and my car didnt start... so, i know where it is. ill look at my haynes manual, and at the portion of pauls manual dedicated to the starter and starter solenoid tommorrow. how hard is that sucker to get out anyway...1,2,3 hours? am i going to have to remove the starter to get at it? thanks

joebeets
08-24-2003, 04:58 PM
Dunno. Never had starter problems with my Honda.

al010101
08-25-2003, 10:15 PM
sounds like you need a starter solenoid to me aswell, as far as time goes...i replace the head (including swapping intake mani/exhaust mani, etc... ) in my '89 accord lx in 1.5hrs and it's the first honda i've touched, so a starter...i'd say 15-25minutes

RustyHo88
08-26-2003, 04:35 AM
wow, thats quick. im pretty sure it would take me longer than 15 mins though, it took me 12 hours to replace my alternator. thats mainly because i took it out from the top instead of sliding it along the firewall. the 2nd alternator i did took me 10 minutes. if i replace the solenoid, should i also replace the starter?